[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>linux is a much better OS >decide to listen to /g/, install
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 1445419338693.jpg (447 KB, 1204x1584) Image search: [Google]
1445419338693.jpg
447 KB, 1204x1584
>linux is a much better OS
>decide to listen to /g/, install Elementary OS
>it's okay, but battery is terrible compared to windows
>decide to try linux mint
>same problem

wtf. How can you advocate for such a shitty OS that can only last 4 hours while on windows it lasts me 10?
>>
File: negro the creator.png (54 KB, 202x200) Image search: [Google]
negro the creator.png
54 KB, 202x200
>windows is a much better OS
>decide to listen to /g/, install Windows 7
>it's okay but the max resolution I can get is 800x600
>decide to try Windows 8
>same problem

wtf. How can you advocate for such shitty OS that can't even output the resolution my screen supports?
>>
>>51823175
>800X600

You're an absolute shit liar senpai.
>>
File: jPSYukJiLR8.jpg (59 KB, 604x604) Image search: [Google]
jPSYukJiLR8.jpg
59 KB, 604x604
>>51823201
and you're brown, smell like shit and of Indian citizenship.
>>
>winturds on /g/ tell me that windows gets better battery than Linux
>well okay this laptop isn't being used that often and i need more battery life on it, might as well switch
>it gets 1 hour on windows 8.1 compared to leenucks which gave me 3-4
wtf. How can you advocate for such a shitty OS that can only last 1 hours while on Linux it lasts me 4?
>>
>>51823214
Not even any of those m8.
>>
>>51823141
It depends pretty heavily on the hardware and it changes over time with the kernel version. Linux battery life with my last laptop was awful, but with my current laptop it's slightly better than Windows.

Some people also use it on desktop PCs.
>>
File: 1444595721483.png (18 KB, 732x732) Image search: [Google]
1444595721483.png
18 KB, 732x732
>>51823239
>Windows 800x600 Professional
>>
>>51823242
Finally a fucking sane response. Is there any way to change the kernel to increase battery life? Or what tips do you have for this?
>>
Google and install tlp. With just standard settings my computer now gets about 80% of the battery life I get on windows. Maybe even more.
>>
>>51823300
Did that. It still gives me terrible battery life. Anything else? What OS are you running?
>>
>>51823279
I use TLP, which changes a bunch of settings to improve battery life. I also try to stay up to date with the latest kernel.

Fair warning though, the default settings made my laptop crash because my SSD controller wasn't compatible with SATA link power management.
>>
>>51823345
I've installed this, along with Powertop, and it really doesn't do much. What are your settings?
>>
>>51823377
I think they're the same as default except for
SATA_LINKPWR_ON_BAT=medium_power
DEVICES_TO_DISABLE_ON_STARTUP="bluetooth"

(because I don't use bluetooth.)

If you still get poor battery life, you might just have hardware that doesn't work well with Linux. If that's a dealbreaker for you (like it was for me with my old laptop,) the only thing to do might be to switch back to Windows.
>>
wait a fucking minute, I'm just about to fall for the linux meme and you guys are telling me that the battery on a laptop only last for a couple of hours?

What the fuck is this shit? wasn't Linux supposed to be the Jesus Christ of the operating systems? how can it fuck up this bad?
>>
>>51823141

To the loo with you

But really. It's dependant on hardware.
>>
>>51823499
>falling for a shitty troll thread
You might be too stupid to use Linux.
>>
The amount of fuckery necessary to get WiFi, touch, and touch pads working will always be the barrier to entry.

Way too much fiddle fucking required to get Linux going in half of the installations. The other half are fine.
>>
>>51823499
It depends on the hardware. If a Linux kernel dev doesn't own your laptop, or one with similar hardware, you're probably going to have a bad time. Things tend to be pretty good for popular laptops. Battery life on my current one is better than Windows.

Also, a lot of people here run Linux on desktops where it is obviously not an issue.
>>
>>51823562
You just have to buy the right laptop. OS X only runs on one brand of laptop, but people still buy it and it's still popular, so I don't see the problem with having to choose specific laptops to have a good experience with Linux.
>>
>>51823175
wtf is this stupid meme that windows has no vga drivers. fuckin idiot degenerate 2000's kids.
>>
>>51823801
I actually had to solve a problem recently where someone had installed Windows 10 to their laptop, it only had the Microsoft Basic Display Driver and because of that the VGA port didn't work. Downloading the real drivers took ages on the shitty WiFi. This wouldn't have happened with Linux.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.