[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Would you rather use a used business laptop (ThinkPad X220/EliteBook
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: college-laptop-classroom.jpg (60 KB, 500x246) Image search: [Google]
college-laptop-classroom.jpg
60 KB, 500x246
Would you rather use a used business laptop (ThinkPad X220/EliteBook 2560p) or a tablet(Surface Pro 2/3) as your primary computer for university?
>>
I bought a used Vaio Pro for that purpose, and I'm satisfied with it.
At the time, I wanted a X220 since it's cheap, seems sturdy and the specs are still pretty cool nowadays.
>>
>>51819731

I would use whatever computer was enough to write Word documents, because if you are serious about school, you should write by hand in class and seminars.
>>
Paper is best technology.
>>
>>51819731
laptop over tablet anytime, unless the laptop is too slow or to heavy
>>
I got a Thinkpad x220 in 2012 and have been using it for all my work since then. It is the same size of a A4 book so it fits nice in my bag and is very light. It is still in good working condition and I am currently using it for all my work related tasks. The only downside is the fan noise. It was not noticeable when I got it byt now it makes quite a noise. It is not a nuance for me, but it is not a silent as it use to be. I would recommend it for college use just because of the sturdy build and the portability.
>>
>>51820000
nobody said for taking notes
>>
A business laptop.

I like to work and still be able to store 3 tb of bullshit in my computer.
>>
>>51820407
cloud computing
>>
>>51821203
botnet computing
>>
>>51821719
tinfoil computing
>>
>>51819956
>you should
Not everybody is the same if you do better writing it, cool but if someone else can type it and study it later, they're fine
>>
MBA, potentially a new one with a better screen. I could never go backwards on battery life or portability now. The ability to use a device while standing would be good however, so if i was using a PC i'd probably get the new surface pro
>>
>>51821931
>picks something that's not an option
why post
>>
>>51821958
Mac is the only option
>>
>>51819731

I'd prefer the Surface Pro. That said, I don't consider the Surface Pro to be a tablet, as it is not a tablet first. It's a laptop with a detachable keyboard, not a tablet with an attachable keyboard. It runs Windows, which means a relative dearth of touch-optimized apps, which in turn means that you're going to have a subpar experience without that keyboard attached.

Let's be honest: would you ever leave the house with the Surface *without* its keyboard? No, you wouldn't, and that means it's a laptop.
>>
>>51821966
They are absolutely horrible as a company regarding how they design their products. Any engineer that has looked at how a MBA is designed for example would throw up in their mouth.
>>
>>51822001

So sayeth the anonymous shitposter on 4chan, weighing his infinite wisdom against judgment-impaired fly-by-night shops like IBM and Google.
>>
>>51822001
any decent engineer works for apple
>>
I'd rather spend $150 on a used business laptop than $700+ on a device that I can't customize or fix when something eventually goes wrong. Replacing the battery on one of these things is a nightmare.

>>51822017
Are you saying that I'm wrong? The way they dissipate heat is already abysmal and it's solely because they're too dumb to design something that would look good with fans. Even the Surface is guilty of this past the SP2. The SP2 was the last(read:only) good Surface because it doesn't throttle, has dual fans to stay at a low RPM while being a tad thicker to lower noise, give more room for heat etc.

[spoiler]they all suck, though[/spoiler]
>>
>>51822077
that is intels fault. Only the faulty ones over heat anyway. my MBA fans never even turn on and i keep the vent at the back covered up all the time without issue. They will all be Arm in a few years anyway so they won't even have fans anymore
>>
>>51822077

Yes, I'm saying you're wrong. Blah de blah, some guy on 4chan is smarter than everyone who ever chose a Mac. Typical /g/ blather.
>>
>>51820033
Vacuum the air vent, always gets my laptop nice and quiet again.
>>
>>51819731
anything with a physical keyboard cause its quicker to type pages of notes.

all the tablet keks in class use their shit to view the lessons slides and they write their notes on paper.

absolutely disgusting....
>>
>>51822121
most people buy a mac because it's what everyone else buys. what is sheep, anon? the picture in the fucking OP is a perfect example. i guarantee 90% of those kids use their $1300 apple laptop for facebook/twitter and to type up their english 101 paper.
>>
>>51822177
most people buy a mac because it's what everyone else FINDS BETTER THAN A PC. it's called word of mouth. lots probably also started with an iPod, then an iPhone, iPad, and then a mac. or they may have dabbled in hackinotshing.

Most people buy PCs because they are idiots and buy based on price tag and what the salesperson told them. I feel that is much worse than word of mouth
>>
>>51822077
I don't know what kind of MBA you worked on, but replacing the battery is simple as shit. Unless you're retarded or something along those lines, it shouldn't pose a threat.
>>
>>51822158

Did you know that hand-writing notes is proven to improve retention? It's true!

>>51822177

OP's picture is from the University of Missouri Journalism Program. They require Macs. And, for your information, I have two Macs, and I rarely find myself saying "Ugh, I hate this! I wish I had Windows again, I didn't have this issue back then." The worst thing I went through on Mac was trying to use an Android phone, and that happened because Google chose the Microsoft-proprietary MTP standard for Android connectivity and then let their shitty hack app for doing the same on Mac deprecate. That's not Apple's fault, it's Google. I'm really happy with the actual computer.
>>
>>51822219
I was referring to the Surface tablets.
>>
>>51822211
>dabbled in hackinotshing
lol most people don't even know what an operating system is you dumb autist
>>
>>51822158
I see keks looking at slides on their ipads and simply writing on the slides
>>
>>51822129
I will give that a shot, thanks.
>>
>>51822479
i never said most people do
>>
>>51821966
Shitty bait
>>
>Buy business notebook
>It's riddled with remote access and lockdown features
>They're meant to be used by a second party because business notebooks are to be owned by the employer, not the employee
>Russians steal info on backdoors from snowden
>Info gets around because corruption
>or maybe someone just figures out an exploit
>Russian/chink hackers break into your meme laptop and plant rootkits
>RIP your identity, data, etc

>>51822023
Any autistic failure that got fired from tesla

>Buy macbook
>Turn off wake on AC
>it still wakes on AC
>"We contacted apple, and that is expected behaviour"
>Open image
>Can't page to next image in folder
>"You need to open them all at once. It makes more sense."
>OS is clearly designed by autists, for idiots
>Fails every benchmark
>Shitty outdated unix tools inferior to linux
>Sell macbook, buy dell inspiron, install ubuntu
>>
>>51822586

>calls an OS shit
>installs ubuntu
>>
>>51822598
Gentoo is for servers
Arch is useless
Void is eternally unfinished
Debian is for luddites that don't understand what actually makes stability or security
Fedora is garbage
Fight me
>>
>>51822001
This is true and includes engineers at apple which is why Steve jobs had to be a strict fascist. To force them to work through the vomit
>>
>>51822637

Linux sucks.
Windows is for people who play video games, run fileservers, and/or are poor.
OSX is for people who actually want to use a computer without fighting with it.
>>
>>51822681
Windows is for people that have shit to do and the shit that must be done is only possible on windows because linux isn't supported by industry developers

OSX is the vacation/retirement of operating systems. everything is done for you. you don't have to do any work and if you have an artistic hobby, they supply all of the tools for you to have a no-hassle experience

Linux is that thing that we all wish was big enough to get real industry support but just never will be unless some crazy dystopian-tier shit goes down.

-engineer
>>
>>51823160
>everything is done for you. you don't have to do any work

>implying that's bad

An OS is a layer of friendliness that abstracts away a lot of the user-hostile rote bullshit inherent to computers. When you "don't have to do any work" to get the OS to do what you want, that is the desired effect.

As for Windows, I prefer to either remote into a Windows machine or use it in a VM, depending on my horsepower needs at the moment. It's never my daily driver anymore.
>>
>>51823398
When you "don't have to do any work" to get the OS to do what you want
nobody said that. OSX is for people that have nothing to do.
>>
>>51823656

That's absolutely ridiculous. OSX is a great general-purpose operating system. If you don't have some specific enterprise application that's Windows-only, odds are you'll be perfectly well-accommodated.
>>
>>51823656
Even though it's universally used in the entertainment and creative industry.
>>
>>51823776
for no actual reason
>>
>>51822457
Oh. My apologies. The surface tablets are indeed locked down like crazy.
>>
I've been using a Vaio Duo 13. Works great, has had some issues since Windows 10, though. The Surface Book and the Vaio Canvas Z both look like great options.
>>
>>51823783
>>51823656

>"Look at me! I've never spent any significant time in ownership of a Mac!"
>>
>>51823851
>"I'm a fanboy."
>>
>>51823869

>name-calling

Seriously, though. You sound like the fags who complain about right-clicking, and having to click the tiny X, and "not being able to close the program all the way", when any real, experienced Mac user knows god damn well that those are complete non-issues that only occur when an inexperienced user treats OSX like Windows and gets frustrated.
>>
>>51823922
You can't actually name one reason to specifically use OSX instead of Windows for >>51823776
>>
>>51822586
>>It's riddled with remote access and lockdown features
Just disable them in the BIOS 2bh f4m
>>
Definitely a business laptop. Those tablets are nothing but retarded gimmicks
>>
>>51823965

No radical UI changes from generation to generation resulting in the need to retrain personnel.
>>
>>51819731
used business laptop
>>
File: 2560p.jpg (332 KB, 1600x1480) Image search: [Google]
2560p.jpg
332 KB, 1600x1480
master race
>>
Chromebook for class and Desktop for Escapism
>>
>>51819731
I use an x200t because it meets my personal needs. That's just me.
>>
>>51824944
>>51824944
What major are you?
>>
>>51821746
shill computing
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (87 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
87 KB, 1920x1080
Honestly?

Pic related.

I don't know if it was released already but sony said the price be around 1600 USD so ridiculously expensive.

But hell

>~350g total weight
>flexible so throw it in the bag/backpack and forget about it
>A4 sized screen at 1600x1200
>claimed to have 3 weeks of battery life with wlan turned off.
>you can just write your notes like on a piece of paper

But for now I'm going to continue using pen and paper on a lecture.
Seems to work best.
>>
>>51825252
nobody said for notes
>>
File: fas.png (1 MB, 1540x1002) Image search: [Google]
fas.png
1 MB, 1540x1002
I feel like if i bought a chromebook i would instantly just install linux and use that and then ssh into my server when i need lots of computation done.
>>
>>51825342
for what then?

general computing as in "not bring to lectures"?

The most powerful thing you can get, so probably a business laptop
>>
>>51825252
>$1600 for a virtual piece of paper

that's just dumb anon
>>
>>51825393
so you're not stuck using the computer labs for every single time you need to do something on the computer
>>
>>51820000
dem quints
>>
I use a T400, thinking up "upgrading" to a T420

I like these old thinkpads because they look cool and surprisingly linux is a gr8 conversation starter. I have actually had that
>"I see you're using gnome, I use KDE myself..."
conversation once or twice
>>
>>51825758
>tfw have elitebook and will not be approached by the thinkpad nerds because it just looks like some regular laptop
phew
>>
>>51825792
idk I think it's rather interesting seeing what other /g/aylords look/act like
>>
>>51825758
I've only seen two other meme ThinkPads on my campus so far, though I'm only a freshman.
One was I believe an X60, the owner wasn't there. The other, what looked like either an X200 or X201 was owned by some asian guy.
>>
>>51826057
What is your major?
>>
>>51826151
Engineering, we haven't declared our disciplines yet
>>
>>51826228
We're in the same boat, I guess.
>>
>>51822586
>>Can't page to next image in folder
>>"You need to open them all at once. It makes more sense."
I just built a hackintosh for my parents. Holy shit this "feature" really annoys the fuck out of me.

>Turn off wake on AC
>it still wakes on AC
>"We contacted apple, and that is expected behaviour"
Yeah, I could say this same thing for quite a few "features" on sleep. I thought I still needed to tweak some .plists and DSDT, but nope, it's just actually Apple being shit at sleep. I thought reliable sleep was a big thing with Apple? (Apparently not as my brother, who buys legit macs, says sleep is still hit and miss.)
>>
>>51824701
>No radical UI changes from generation to generation resulting in the need to retrain personnel.
The start menu has remained functionally the same since Windows 95. Even the most drastic change, Windows 8, was still practically the same, just full screen. Your point is invalid.
>>
>>51826435

I'm not just talking about the Start menu. Microsoft shuffles the Control Panel like a god damn deck of cards every single time there's a new version. Windows 8 even had *two* separate control panels, each with different feature sets!
>>
Surface Pro 4 with an IBM Model M Space Saver
>>
>>51819956
I typed in class, simply because I couldn't write fast enough and maintain legibility. When I studied before exams, I would copy my typed notes by hand. Everyone is different.
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.