[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, is there any reason one of these PCIe slots would be blue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: IMAG0046.jpg (976 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0046.jpg
976 KB, 2688x1520
So, is there any reason one of these PCIe slots would be blue and the other black? The manual doesn't give me shit...
>>
Just stick it in the top one.
>>
>>51818964
I've been using the black one because it gave more space for my GPU, but was wondering if the color difference was meant to signify anything. Want to make sure my dumb ass hasn't missed anything important.. like if one were 16x@something else
>>
Normally one is 16x and the other 1x
>>
>>51818920
The black one is x16 when it operates alone and x8 when you use both of the slots.
>>
Benchmark it for yourself dumbass
>>
>>51819054
The blue one would give more space, moron.
>>
They're both PCI Express Generation 2 slots with full 16x bandwidth. The blue will just designate that it's the first full length PCIE slot which ideally you should use incase for whatever reason the BIOS doesn't automatically detect your graphic card in the other slot.
>>
>>51819795
How? There's a plastic divider and a cord directly above it. None of the other slots are used. The card in question is an Asus direct Cu gtx770 and is quite a tight fit there as opposed to the black one that's in the middle surrounded by nothing
>>
>>51819869
>how does the slot that gives it more space give it more space?
>>
>>51818920
The blue one is USB 3.0 and the black one is 4.2.
>>
>>51819896
Do you not see that big goddamn piece of plastic acting as a wall between the RAM and CPUs and the slots? Putting the card in the blue slot results in about 1/6th an inch of clearance from that and that cable pinned to at least one fan.

No other slots are used, only 1 for my GPU. Using the black slot it is completely free to breathe and not eating any cables.
>>
File: NIGGA YOU BLIND AS HELL.png (3 MB, 1507x1516) Image search: [Google]
NIGGA YOU BLIND AS HELL.png
3 MB, 1507x1516
>>51818920
It doesnt matter for the blue or the black one, just dont stick it in the short one.
>>
>>51819967
Thank you, that much I was able to figure out, and that they were both PCIe 16x, using those prints on the board and an infographic that lists many different inputs and connectors and such, but was confused because the only documentation I actually had said the board only had ONE 16x slot and at least one other noticeable difference from what I actually saw. It's been in that Black slot 2 ish years now. I just noticed the difference in color when I was in there today and got to wondering.

Based on some benchmarks I've seen for my card I'm now also slightly more sure my CPUs are at least a small bottleneck (2x Xeon e5430)
>>
>>51820046
usually they colour code them to find out which one is the 1st port and which one is any additional port, since sometimes the second port is only x8 (in your case however they are both x16), it just makes it easier to see on a glance which one you should take if you want the fastest connection for your graphics card or pci express ssd
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.