[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The 1980's internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Citibank 1985.png (579 KB, 706x995) Image search: [Google]
Citibank 1985.png
579 KB, 706x995
What sort of capabilities did it have for end-user consumers by mid-decade or so? I starting to see online banking ads around 1985 when I look through old magazines.
>>
well it wasn't the "internet" till the early 90's
>>
>>51818703
Was it not? It wasn't the WWW, but it was certainly interconnected digital networks.
>>
>>51818667
There was no public internet in the 1980s, the ads you're seeing are for dial-in services, for which there were a lot to choose from.

>>51818718
There was no networking involved client-side.
>>
>>51818718
I remember a talk in HS in 1992 about how "the internet" would change everything. Any book you wanted to read would be there, etc. Still, almost nobody had access. And I went to a very prestigious Science and Math boarding school.

BBS was around a bit before that (for mega-nerds), but mainstream early adopters for the internet didn't really start until about 1995.
>>
>>51818809
>the internet didn't really start until about 1995.

oh lawd, I still remember the hype.

also how literally every fucking TV show had to bother their viewers with redundant info on their websites.
they always wanted people to visit them and every time they stated any website they even said THE COMPLETE THING, http://www included which pretty much doesn't happen nowadays anymore.

also funny how most windows users complained about not reaching sites because they actually used \\ instead of //.

ah, nostalgia.
>>
>>51818771
Here's an article from Byte Magazine in 1983 about the growth of the Usenet - kind of interesting:

https://archive.org/stream/byte-magazine-1983-10/1983_10_BYTE_08-10_UNIX#page/n219/mode/2up
>>
>>51818849
Oh shit, that brings back memories. "Visit us at H T T P colon slash slash W W W dot Uselessfuckingshit dot C O M"

That and having fucking AOL free trail CDs in your mailbox every week, and in every fucking magazine. Then the fucking mini CDs.
>>
>>51818718
It was called ARPANET until the early 80s. As it became commercialized, and other distinct computers and networks came online and linked up with it, 'Internet' was used as the generic name for the entire system more and more, but the term 'Internet' dates back to at least 1974.

1990 is when ARPANET was decommissioned, and that was about the time when the general public began to first become aware of the Internet, and gain access to it. The word 'Internet' was what everyone came to know it as, and it's stuck ever since.
>>
>online banking introduced in the 80s
>amerikeks still use checks in 2015
>>
>>51818908
>Internet' was used as the generic name for the entire system more and more

Word internet is just used from that TCP/IP protocol, with IP meaning *internet* protocol
>>
>>51818912
>richest nation in the world
>in history
>doing banking and finance all wrong

Maybe we should imitate how you do it in whatever backwater it is that you come from.
>>
>>51818896
back in those days when I was a little shit I got all hyped up because I thought I could take those useless AOL CDs and burn my musik on them like I did with my audio cassettes. man was I frustrated when I got my first CD burner... all those collected AOL cds.. trash.
>>
>>51818952
>richest nation
>if you ignore our 41 trillion dollar debt desu!
>>
>>51820922
The National Debt is a fiction. I ask over and over again who the money is actually owed to and I get hemming and hawing. And no, it's not China: the so-callef Debt extends back to the 1970s
>>
>>51821147
treasury bonds retard
>>
>>51818849
>>51818896
that was quick

anyway nostalgia is a lie. go back and use the system you fawn over (you won't). it was shit the entire time.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.