[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't you using proper end-to-end crypto, /g/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9
File: image.png (43 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image.png
43 KB, 512x512
Telegram BTFO: http://eprint.iacr.org/2015/1177.pdf Signal desktop beta in development: https://whispersystems.org/blog/signal-desktop/
>>
>We stress that this is a theoretical attack on the definition of security and we do not see any way of turning the attack into a full plaintext-recovery attack.
ok
>>
>>51818629
>we
>>
Look for LibreSignal for websocket goodness, fuck moxie and his cockgobbling of google services.
>>
Because that just makes me a target
>>
File: 2015-12-12_10-12-51.png (42 KB, 445x444) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-12_10-12-51.png
42 KB, 445x444
>>51818633
Yeah, I was quoting the guys who discovered this
It's right up there in the abstract
>>
>>51818648
Yeah, I was pointing out that it's not, not possible if only they can't.
>>
File: art.penn.jpg (20 KB, 292x219) Image search: [Google]
art.penn.jpg
20 KB, 292x219
>>51818620
Telegram and Signal both require a phone to work, therefore they're shit.
>>
>>51818671
It's a theoretical attack as in it only has theoretical implications, but it's been pulled off in practice in the coauthor's thesis http://cs.au.dk/~jakjak/master-thesis.pdf
>>
Thanks for sharing. Don't trust someone's unproven self-invented crypto®™. Too many pitfalls: https://cryptocoding.net/index.php/Coding_rules
>>
>>51818695
>My PGP without forward secrecy.
>>
Signal is great Snowden uses it
>>
>>51818935
Those are implementation pitfalls, its got nothing to do with creating an own protocol.
>>
>>51818620
Moxie is a jew nsa faggot. I'd use cleartext rather than using his probbed ass's codes.
>>
Won't switch from Telegram, OP
Too little too late, I'm afraid
>>
>>51819366
Source or GTFO
>>
Because some of us are not pedos :)
>>
>>51818620
I'm using Signal myself, for texting. But its VoIP quality is pure garbage. It's like they used the worst codec they could find.
>>
>>51819543
They should do something about the sound, yes. AFAIA, Telegram doesn't support VoIP calls yet. Not that we're waiting for that, of course.
>>
How do you end up accidentally choosing an algorithm that isn't IND-CCA secure, when designing security software?
>>
>>51819505
Do you know his name? He just goes by his alias, nobody knows his name. That's a huge redflag.
>>
>>51819704
Ah, but you do know everyone else here? There's nothing wrong with protecting your identity, as I'm sure you'll agree, anon.
>>
how long does the queue on signal beta take?
>>
>>51818620
Because I don't sell drugs and/or watch cp
>>
>>51820042
Share your invite link with your friends. When they sign up using your link, you'll get much further ahead in queue. How long it will take, nobody knows.
>>
>>51820078
did that but it got to this and now it's no longer counting new sign ups from this point do I just have to wait?
>>
File: incest.jpg (122 KB, 650x522) Image search: [Google]
incest.jpg
122 KB, 650x522
>>51820069
>I love being watched by big brother. He's so cute.
>>
>>51819291
>what is OTR
>what is OMEMO.
>>
>>51820110
My both big brothers are at UK
I'm under mom's immunity
>>
>>51820102
Yes, I think you just need to wait. You recruiters enough souls by now, family.
>>
>>51820178
*recruited
>>
>Signal Desktop is a Chrome app

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>51819538
>meanwhile, in trumpmerica:
>We don't need or want free software to be legal...
>Because some of us are not homosexuals :)
>Because some of us are not muslims :)
>Because some of us are not mexican :)
>>
desu i already got all my friends using telegram. they are not going to switch to a messaging client with less features for "more security and privacy" so we can shit post in group chats.
>>
>>51822060
>they
Their problem, matey.
>>
>>51818620
>click to join the beta
>asks for google email account
So you saying we should tray a possible botnet for an actual botnet?
>>
>>51822640
I believe any email address works.
>>
>>51822652
>Signal Desktop
>Coming soon to the Chrome Web Store.

i'd still have to use "botnet the browser"
>>
>>51822686
That's bugging me as well. I was hoping for a standalone application...
>>
Didn't know the Telegram client was FOSS. Is it worth trying out? I read that not all chats are encrypted, only the "secret message" ones. Why would they not make it default?
>>
>caring about some shitty programs that require Google software and your phone number to work and don't even have desktop clients

just get Tox

https://tox.chat/
>>
>>51823264
tox is pure garbage senpai
>>
>>51823280
spoken like someone who hasn't used it

what about it is garbage?
>>
>>51823280
test senpai senpai senpai

>>51823358
besides being made by a bunch of script-kiddies?
´no video conferences, no offline support, no groups, no multiple device support
>>
Stop communicating, that's the only way for nobody to eavesdrop.
>>
>>51823180
Because there's no way to have a chat work across multiple devices otherwise
>>
Signal > Telegram

I deal my drugs and with my shady deals on Signal.

Also, i tell my girlfriend and best friends to use Signal.

Fuck off
>>
>requires play services
INTO
N
T
O

THE
H
E

TRASH
R
A
S
H
>>
>>51819704
Isn't /g/ always preaching about anonymity and privacy? Why doesn't this apply to him?
>>
>>51823358
No offline messaging ever. The only practical purpose I can see from it is being a discord competitor and I don't play vidya.
>>
>>51825229
It's a matter of trust, and the "privacy" thing is for the users.

Devs should provide basic info about them such as their names and possibly what they do for a living
>>
>>51825188
>finds out today that his favorite technology might not be ideal after he got everyone to get on his bandwagon
>brags about dealing drugs to try and be tough and ultra cool to strangers on the internet
>>
>>51825274
Fuck that and fuck you. If I was developing anti-NSA software I sure as fucking wouldn't want to paint a target on my back. I think Signal is POS but your philosophy is retarded.
>>
>>51825316
>anti-NSA software
this shit depends on fucking google shit to work
>>
>>51825353
Exactly why I said it's a POS (>>51825210 is me) and I'm not defending Signal at all, just saying you're full of shit.
>>
>>51823264
I use Tox and I like it. Sadly, very few friends use it.

I think its pretty much the safest solution we have today.
>>
>>51825289
at least I have a use for encryption

theres no one after your chinese cartoon collection theres no need to use any encryption
>>
>>51823445
>no video conferences
gimmick
>no offline support
because it's p2p and because it's an IM. use email if you want offline messages.
>no groups
wrong
>no multiple device support
not true, it just works differently, because there's no central login.
and Signal doesn't even have a desktop client. how fucking pathetic is that?
>>
>>51825353
>>51825210
Google's got nothing on you using proper end-to-end crypto.
>>
>>51825682
since when is multiple people having a conversation a gimmick?
>use email if you want offline messages.
nice way to dismiss a feature every IM client that matters has and people like
>wrong
>Persistent groupchats are being developed
that means it doesn't have them, taken from their FAQ
>Support for multiple devices is planned.
this means multiple devices are not yet supported, taken directly from their FAQ
>>
>>51825755
And what about my other apps? What about the OS itself? I'm not installing play services just for this piece of junk.
>>
File: workshop_women_laughing1.jpg (26 KB, 300x230) Image search: [Google]
workshop_women_laughing1.jpg
26 KB, 300x230
>call out telegram for being a risk
>Signal Desktop is a Chrome app
>uses chrome as backend for new security app

Its hilarious because it just proves that we can only criticize others, and not ourselves. This level of retarded is just hilarious.
>>
>Not using Chatsecure+Orbot or mobile I2P
Fuck off that signal POS made by a jew and Telegram the german botnet.
>>
>>51825755
if i need google shit on my system to run a crypto chat i might as well just use plain text to communicate and apply double ROT13 as encryption method
>>
>>51820102
>>51820178
Here you go: https://u.pomf.io/jisxaz.crx
To install download it, unzip to a directory, remove the _metadata dir, enable developer mode in chromium extensions and load unpacked extension.

BTW I had to sign in with Google account to install it. Moxie is the worst hypocrite when it comes to privacy.
>>
>>51825808
Or maybe, it's just OP being a faggot like always.
>>
>>51825808
The fact that it's a chrome app is shitty, but that doesn't change the security properties of OTR. If you want OTR on desktop use the pidgin plugin.
>>
Why can't any secure messengers just get it right? Telegram was so close, but decided to use pants on head retarded crypto.

Make it FOSS, make it secure, let me use it on desktop and mobile and we're good. Easy picture sharing also helps a lot
>>
>>51818695
Actually Telegram requires phone (or more precisely an operational SIM card) only for registration and 2-step verification. You can just use the desktop client after that.
>>
>>51828467
What about Signal's desktop version? It says it needs Android for something, but surely not for posting messages? How would that even work? Tethering via the cell phone?
>>
But, I already am for anything that matters...
>>
File: 5445454789.gif (236 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
5445454789.gif
236 KB, 200x200
>>51828511
Well, there's the Chrome thing.
>>
>>51828511
Register with phone
Open signal-desktop chromium extension
Scan QR code with phone
Browser is linked to phone number/account whatever
Receive/send messages on both devices
You can deactivate browser extension from phone at any time
>>
>>51827132
Tox
>>
>>51818642
>install libresignal
>try to use it without google play services
>need google play service to register
>uninstall libresignal
>>
>>51828945
You didn't install the websocket fork, you just installed the standard libresignal build. Re-read the webpage from which you added the f-droid repo.
>>
>>51829000
Oh I am retarded then I will give it another go I just decided to use telegram in the end.
>>
File: 3r5qQ5g.jpg (588 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
3r5qQ5g.jpg
588 KB, 2000x1333
>>51818620
My friends and I have been using Signal since forever.

I don't get how people can just say that WhatsApp is NSA shit and then switch over to some Russian IM solution. BUT YOU KNOW NORMIES, THEY ARE RETARDED REEEEEEE
>>
>>51829211
I used Signal when it was normal SMS Textsecure. I really don't get why it changed so suddenly. What metadata was leaked, other than the obvious things like your phone numbers?
>>
>>51829476
Huh, what changed about it?
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.