[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the point of high-end parts besides gaming and...gaming?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (9 KB, 358x451) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9 KB, 358x451
What is the point of high-end parts besides gaming and...gaming? Don't say encoding because we know that's a lie for almost everyone.

It seems like the cutting edge of CPU design and all of Intel's R&D budget is driven by 13 through 30 year old consumer faggots who play video games while eating cheetos and drinking energy drinks.

I can't tell the difference between my computer from 2007 and my computer from 2014 unless I'm playing a game.
>>
File: 1443644509683.jpg (70 KB, 618x564) Image search: [Google]
1443644509683.jpg
70 KB, 618x564
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE
>SERIOUSLY STOP
>STOP YOU'RE MAKING ME SO MAD
>STOOOOOOOOOP
>>
There is no purpose besides games and there's nothing wrong with that. The matrix will one day be real and it will need hardware to run on.
>>
what's the point of anything

we're just gonna die anyway
>>
>>51816868
>>51817054
how old are you retards? 15?
>>
>>51817079

enlighten us
>>
Why do they keep adding shitty laptop graphics to every CPU then?
>>
i don't play any games
i produce music

RAM- running plugins, having multiple tracks playing simultaneously.

SSD- loads my 80gb sample folder quickly and lets me navigate and hotswap samples a lot quicker than my old hdd

CPU - some plugins are very CPU intensive, and rendering out a song to a flat .wav maxes out my CPU.

i don't have a video card. my integrated graphics will let me play a 1080p 60fps youtube video and mess around in photoshop with no stutters.
>>
Rendering? Editing large video files? Predicting weather? Extreme CGI? Performing heart surgery? Massive mathematical computations and data-mining? Creating those video games you game on? /took the bait
>>
>>51816868

consumer technology has actually plateaued in performance, it`s all about miniaturization and energy efficiency these days.
>>
I don't know about others, but good hardware allows me to do 3d modeling and photos rendering of large assemblies that include many parts.

I also use it for FEA, flow analysis, and generation of gcode on complex parts.
>>
>>51816868
>I can't tell the difference between my computer from 2007 and my computer from 2014 unless I'm playing a game.

The 2007 one wont have vt-d which is extremely useful for virtualisation
>>
>>51816868
ArcGIS rendering and running spatial analysis models
>>
So I can fit some datasets into memory and it makes it faster to run R
>>
>>51816868
data analysis - moar ram, more threads, more cores, more disk space, more everything helps.
>>
>>51817121
Same aside from the gaymes.
I got a gtx 760 for that and it was $170, I mainly play older games though. I always have a shitton of kontakts open in FL though, so 16 gb ram helps a ton.
>>
>>51816868
Industrial design requires a beefy workstation PC to handle complex designs in most popular CAD programs. A workstation is kind of like a gaming computer except it may have an Intel Xeon CPU (since they can be more powerful than your i7), more RAM, and a professional GPU such as an Nvidia Quadro or AMD Firepro since these offer much higher performance for CAD programs and GPU assisted scientific calculations.
>>
Haswell
Kaby lake
Skylake
Canonlake
RectumLake
PenisLake
LargeFries
ChocolateShake
>>
Encoding doesn't even take a beefy CPU. I encoded plenty on my X2 5200+. It's just nice to have something better.
>>
>>51816868
I'm guessing you had a gaming computer in 2007. Either that or you're talking out your ass.

Because my 5 year old computer cannot take the web anymore. I know it's not my internet connection. It simply cannot deal when faced with a wall of JavaScript and ads. This was a decent laptop at the time, now it is terrible. It can't take YouTube videos in HD even. It just can't. If I run a movie from the hard disk, it's fine, bit streaming just stresses it out too much. Same with multiple tabs of ad heavy websites, which is all of them now.

The web of 7 years ago was much less JavaScript oriented and much leaner. It's not always obvious, but if you try running old computers you will see.

A newer CPU, even the lower end ones, usually can handle this much better, even with the same RAM and such.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.