[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ram Fans: Epic Gimmick or well worth it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (198 KB, 1500x978) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
198 KB, 1500x978
Ram fans... we all are well aware of their place within a computer system - if you've built a computer in the last five years chances are you have one of these in your build.

But are they worth it? Im sure we all remember the days of DDR2 memory were every ram module was passively cooled. So that begs the question - will my build even boot if I remove the fan from my module?

My hypothesis: likely yes, however I would anticipate the memory to be thermal throttled.
>>
>if you've built a computer in the last five years chances are you have one of these in your build
Haha, no.

You sure are hard trying to make yourself sound smart but holy shit, just remove that useless shit OP.
>>
File: John_Locke_.jpg (71 KB, 370x262) Image search: [Google]
John_Locke_.jpg
71 KB, 370x262
>>
>>51807863
I... did not know ram even generated any significant amount of heat.
>>
>>51807863
RAM is able to throttle under heat? what?
>>
>>51807863
>Im sure we all remember the days of DDR2 memory were every ram module was passively cooled. So that begs the question - will my build even boot if I remove the fan from my module?
Not only will your RAM work without the stupid fan, it'll also work without the stupid fins.
>I would anticipate the memory to be thermal throttled.
Yeah, no. Your and idiot, kill you'reself.
>>
>>51807969
RAM sticks that have protruding tops have heatsinks attached to them.
>>
>>51808000
This is why ram fans are stupid and completely unnecessary unless you're doing a matx
>>
snake oil at its finest
>>
File: IMG_0966_zpshcepqfxz.jpg (216 KB, 1024x1536) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0966_zpshcepqfxz.jpg
216 KB, 1024x1536
To be honest with you, OP? Heck yes.

>it's the current year
>he still doesn't water cool all 8 of his Rams

pic related is my build, I can play most new games on medium at less than 20° for hours before having to change the dyed liquid coolant.
>>
>>51807863
>autists will actually fall for this bait and start debating about the subject
>>
>>51808096
Hours is pretty fucking good bro. I can manage like 70-80 mins, 90 tops
>>
>>51808039
>unless you're doing a matx
Even then it's unnecessary.
>http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR16R11D4_16.pdf
>Maximum Operating Power 6.681 W*
These do not need cooling, at all. Any heatsink or fan is completely superfluous. DDR4 uses even less power.
>>
>>51808096
Liquid cooling your RAM is nice in terms of keeping everything in the same aesthetic style, but absolutely fucking useless otherwise.
Wouldn't do it myself unless I was either stupid or stupidly wealthy and just wanted it because it looks nice, though.
>>
>>51807974
Any computer program under sufficient heat will thermal throttle. Its essentially a last ditch effort by the bios to preverse itself, similar to an involuntary flinch by a natural organism
>>
>>51808500
You could have made yourself look less of a faggot by not typing that second sentence.
>>
>>51808539
You could've made yourself less of an actual faggot by not caring, but hey, keep on sucking.
>>
>>51808077
how so?
>>
>>51807863
The only time you'd need significant heat dissipation on your RAM is if you're actually using RAMBUS and the modules actually get hot
>>
>>51808096
> he doesn't liquid nitrogen cool his ram
>>
>active cooling on RAM
this is some audiophile tier bullshit
>>
File: 1430007446797.gif (49 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
1430007446797.gif
49 KB, 300x250
>>51808510
holy fuck the autism in this post is astronomical.
>>
The only time RAM has ever needed cooling is if you're doing some extreme volt modding + RAM oc'ing, which is maybe what .01 percent of pc enthusiasts do.
>>
>>51809338
so, if you went back to 2005?
>>
>>51809448
pretty much
>>
>>51809368
ty anon for this image, got a good laugh out of me
>>
>>51808096
Noob here, how much was your build, and how often do you change the "Dyed liquid cooling".
>>
>not watercooling your ram with Xtreme Gaming RAM Watercooler Pro
>>
File: DSC_1993.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1993.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
Taking apart a PS4, the RAM modules had thermal pads on them, the pads made contact with a metal plate, not really a heat sink. How good are these pads with heat transfer and are they supposed to get replaced?
>>
>>51808510
>computer program
>heat
>>
As a rule ram is ram is ram. Some tasks respond well to higher clocked ram but as a rule capacity bests frequency.
>>
>>51808557
I like this guy, he speaks truth. Also, why can't you compliment someone without Samefag claims
>>
>>51807863
Kill yourself, right now.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.