[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay I have switched my primary machine from windows to linux.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4
Okay I have switched my primary machine from windows to linux.

wat do?

also I need a good TeX-editor. any recommendations?
>>
>>51786508
>Any recommendations
gentoo fa.m
>>
I use texmaker and i like it.
Sublime has some packages that make great for TeX.
>>
>>51786549
Is there a way to implement MikTeX or do I have to get every single package manually? It's been a huge pain in the ass the last time I wanted to setup Tex on a Linux machine..
Have you experience with TexStudio?
>>
>>51786508
Uninstall Mint and install something that isn't a piece of shit, like Debian
>>
>>51786508
>wat do?
rice that ugly shit
>>
>>51787138
Not op, but whats wrong with mint? What does Debian have over it?
>>
>>51787782
Street cred.
>>
>>51787138
Testing or stable? I got a 2014 i3 laptop with broadcom wifi/bluetooth. intel hd 4000 graphics.
>>
>>51787211

How?
>>
>>51787817
Testing
>>
>>51786508
If you're heavy into programming learn vim. You might also want to try gvim.

Until you get the hang of that the standard text editor they have in mate is probably pretty good. It's probably just an older/slightly different version of gedit with a different name.
>>
>>51787782
Well for one thing it's not ugly as shit
>>
>>51786508
>guys I finally installed Linux. I am ready to try something new and leave windows
>install gentoo you fag
>lol what a shitty is, get distro x instead
>>using Linux
>get a macbook

/g/ is horrible
>>
>>51787839
What you're referring to as /g/, is in fact, boards.4chan.org/g/, or as I've recently taken to calling it, boards.4chan.org plus /g/. /g/ is not a board unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning 4chan board made useful by the boards.4chan.org comments, picture utilities and OP components comprising a full board as defined by POSIX.

Many internet users run a modified version of the boards.4chan.org website every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of boards.4chan.org which is widely used today is often called "/g/", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the boards.4chan.org website, developed by the boards.4chan.org Project.

There really is a /g/, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the website they use. /g/ is the board: the program in the website that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The board is an essential part of a website, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete website. /g/ is normally used in combination with the boards.4chan.org website: the whole website is basically boards.4chan.org with /g/ added, or boards.4chan.org/g/. All the so-called "/g/" distributions are really distributions of boards.4chan.org/g/.
>>
>>51786508
Maybe set up a samba server to share files with windows machines or other Linux machines. Perhaps set up a cups server and hook it up to a printer to have everything on your network print to that machine (assuming you have other computers on the network, which if you don't then you probably don't need to do that.)
>>
>>51787838
You can install whatever de/wm you want.
>>
>>51787821
use the system settings and install themes
also https://www.google.com/
>>
>>51786508
I think there's a course on the Linux command line on code academy. It would take about an hour and you'd have a pretty good idea how to use the terminal.
>>
>>51786508
I noticed you have bash as a shell. I would personally recommend you try out ZSH. I find it much more useful that bash. It has better auto-completion. (if you press tab while typing in a partially typed command or file name it will finish it for you)
>>
Op install arch linux (for easiness i suggest manjaro first)

Whence thou art there. Google arch linux tex editor

Install the recommended tex editor

?????

Profit.
>>
>>51787871

I found this https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/GNU/Linux_ricing in the botnet, thanks anyway.
>>
>>51787817
Testing non-free
>>
>>51786508
Enjoy your non-microsoft-botnet machine. Welcome to ubuntu-mint-botnet. Have a good day.
>>
>>51787782
Linux Mint is perfectly fine over Debian, he's just being an asshole for no reason.
>>
>>51787895
>for easiness i suggest manjaro first
Have none of you faggots heard of Architect
>>
>>51787851
Kek

I see what youre going there you little scamp
>>
>>51787919
Linux Mint is worse than Ubuntu desu
>>
>>51787920
Gtfo

Manjaro is the easiest form of arch linux to use.

Any other is just arch with an installer and this guy knows how to install mint which has practically th exact same installer manjaro.

Im thinking of OP
>>
>>51786508
gummi
>>
>>51787952
Arch takes like 5 minutes to install with the Architect installer
Manjaro is a shit
>>
>>51787934
mint sore wa ubuntu.
>>
>>51786568
in Ubuntu installing xelatex installs pretty much everything needed for must documents
then only for very rare case you'll have to install more packages
>>
>>51787919
>>51787934
Debian is way leaner so if it's a laptop, I'd probably throw Debian on it

For a desktop or a workstation I'd go with Ubuntu but that's just personal preference, there's a pissing contest between Mint and buntu right now

Both sides are autistic
>>
>>51787971
I didn't know about Architect...Now I have the sudden urge to audit and possibly contribute to the project.

Arch should have never gotten rid of their standard installer...at least I don't think so. Perhaps they should have just added more options for customizations within the installer.
>>
>>51787981
Eh, I sort of want to like Debian, but where are the use flags? There's apt-get source, but I feel like they're leaving some of us out by not including a nice setup for compiling.
>>
>install a linux distro
>spend 2 hours fiddling with it to have it running smoothly
>spend the next 2 days customizing it
>sit down and realize it's useless to you
>over complicated and everything that should be simple is very tedious back and forth
>reinstall windows
>come on /g/ and join linux discussions advocating for linux
>>
>>51788063

kek
>>
>>51786508
Install guake if you use terminal frequently,
What kind of stuff do you do with your computer?

For Latex I like gummi, but increasingly I find myself loading tex documents into vim to edit large portions of text with regex and macros.

>>51787837
Why an earth would anyone not running windows use gvim?

>>51786568
I'm not sure if they have cleaned up the packages yet, try texlive-full but when I did that last I had no end of trouble with chemfig. Ended up ripping my universities full, extended, texmf directory and planting it in /usr/share/ manually (shut up, you have no idea how much of a headache it became)
>>
>>51786508
You should install tor and learn about pgp. Encryption is under attack right now and it's also very important for little things like keeping credit card transactions secure on and off the internet.
>>
>>51788090
You might want to run gvim if you like copying and pasting but don't use a terminal that supports it with the mouse.
>>
>>51788140
wait, do you mean you don't know how to select blocks of text like you would in a childrens first text editor?
-in command mode
-press v
-select text with the movement keys
-press y or d

Alternately use the mouse clipboard buffer, don't have a mouse clipboard buffer? Get a real operating system.

you can read and write to the system clipboard directly from vim using "+ or "* google this shit, it's not even hard.
>>
>>51786508
>>51786568
Just install texlive-full, yeah it takes up like 1.5 gigs, but who cares in 2015, and it's better than having to install shit with tlmgr. Just use vim or geany. No need for shit like muh dedicated editor for latex, just enter :! pdflatex "%" in vim and you're good to go.
>>
>>51788263
Why do you install such bloat pleb?

You probably listen to needle drops....

I bet you don't even understand what linux from scratch is.
>>
>>51788263
You use a mouse? It's times like this I wish someone would ban these people from the mechanical keyboard thread.
>>
>>51786508
Nano
>>
>>51786508
>tarminul
>>
>>51787782
There's nothing wrong with Mint, especially MATE edition.

>>51788118
Are you fucking retarded? There is literally no point to using Tor to purchase stuff online using a credit card that's under your own name.

In fact, that's exactly the kind of thing you should NEVER do using Tor, because all you accomplish is deanonymizing yourself.

Holy fuck, are you a mac user?
>>
OP here, I have had to do things in the meantime.

>>51787138
I wanted to try arch next. But I will give it a few trys via VM first.

>>51787211
This: >>51787821

>>51787871
>>51787905

I'm playing around with compiz but any tips would be appreciated!

>>51787839
>>51787851
lel

>>51787852
I have a NAS so there is no need for samba right now. also my network printer got recognized right away and works just fine already.

>>51787872
I have done that course already so I should be able to do some basic things via terminal. (which already helped me getting the screenshot and binding the system-monitor on a hotkey etc.)

>>51787892
Thanks for the tip, I will check ZSH.

>>51787895
Like I said, I want to install and try everything with arch via VM first but I will keep in mind that there is an 'arch linux tex editor'.

>>51787915
>>51787919
>>51787934
>>51787952
>>51787971
>>51787974
lel again

>>51787978
I will check out xelatex, thanks.

>>51787981
I'm on a laptop.

>>51788090
I read about quake and most people said things like - cool but the other terminals can do all that to and more. I only use the terminal for irssi and do some basic stuff so I really don't know what the benifits would be to use another terminal.

I'll check those tex-editors. Also I will use it mostly for working so Tex, Atom, Office, VM for Windows because AutoDesk, pr0n and steam. So really nothing sprecial.

>>51788118
I use a live version of tails for some stuff I don't want anyone to know about. So Tor isn't really necessary when it comes to do research for Uni/work. But pgp is already in use as a plugin for thunderbird. (is there a beeter mailing client you can recommend?)

>>51788140
Yeah control-x/c/v would be great BUT without being abled to copy and paste that easy, I have to write everything out and this way I learn the commands a lot better!
>>
>>51788360
>>51788360
1.5 gb is no problem. I just want to have everything from pdflatex, pstricks etc to babel. If that works it's fine for me. I just liked the editors, because I don't know all the commands out of my mind.

>>51789008
>tarminul
>someone noticed
>I make up a retarded version for everything

>>51789736
Well .. yeah, Tor is only for ... things. It shouldn't be used for anything personal.
Also
>paying with CC on the internet
>lel

Also for most of the guys complaining with me or others installing/using ubuntu/mint/whatever: please tell the people WHY one distro is shit and WHY they should use "distro of your choice" instead. I really don't get why people always get hate I mean it's okay, what else would one expect posting on 4chin, but it'd be really cool to know why.
>>
>>51786508
Ba, cristosu ma-tii!
How can you install linux instead of Windows?
How many games work on linux?
But still...you like Linux and not Windows.
Du-te si te impusca in delta plina cu cacat.

ok m8?

(mortii ma-tii)
>>
File: 1429678092585.png (59 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1429678092585.png
59 KB, 1000x1000
>>51790552
>>
>>51790552
what
>>
>>51790570
What ii spui lu ma-ta
>>
>>51790583
oh
>>
>>51790570
Linux sucks mate
>>
File: tumblr_me28tlAAYy1rkmxa1o6_500.jpg (21 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_me28tlAAYy1rkmxa1o6_500.jpg
21 KB, 500x367
>>51790583
this thread is fucked
>>
>>51790552
bump
>>
>>51786508
Linux is a pile of useless sh*t right now.
So go back to Windows before i go play CS:GO XD
FMM
>>
>>51790552
>>51790583
>>51790606
>>51790607
see >>51790564

Also, if you really have to ask how many games do work on a linux machine, you should be the one to kill yourself.
>>
>>51790646
Ba, coaie, pai da' tu asa vorbesti tu cu mine?
Pai da futu-ti mortii ma-tii!
>>
File: mue-13-november-perfromance.jpg (90 KB, 917x613) Image search: [Google]
mue-13-november-perfromance.jpg
90 KB, 917x613
>>51790646
wei mue sugi pula, who are you telling to kill himself?
>>
>>51790552
Aș vrea doar să intervin pentru moment. Ceea ce referi ca a fiind Linux, este, de fapt, GNU / Linux, sau cum am luat recent decizia de al numi, GNU plus Linux. Linux nu este un sistem de operare in sine, ci mai degrabă o altă componentă a unui sistem GNU complet functional de corelibs GNU, utilitati de baza și componentele sistemului vitale care cuprind un sistem de operare complet așa cum este definit de POSIX.

Multi utilizatori de computere folosesc o versiune modificată a sistemului GNU în fiecare zi, fără să o știe. Printr-o întorsătură ciudată a evenimentelor, versiunea de GNU care este folosită pe scară largă astăzi este adesea numit Linux, și mulți dintre utilizatorii săi nu sunt conștienți de faptul că aceasta este, în principiu sistemul GNU, dezvoltat în cadrul proiectului GNU.

Există într-adevăr un Linux este, și acești oameni îl folosesc, dar este doar o parte a sistemului pe care il folosesc. Linux este nucleul: programul din sistem care alocă resursele aparatului la alte programe pe care le ruleaza. Kernel-ul este o parte esențială a unui sistem de operare, dar inutil în sine; poate funcționa doar în contextul unui sistem de operare complet. Linux este utilizat în mod normal în combinație cu sistemul de operare GNU: întregul sistem este, în principiu, GNU cu Linux adăugat, sau GNU / Linux. Toate așa-numitele distribuții Linux sunt defapt distribuții de GNU / Linux!
>>
I use TeXstudio and never had any problem needing more packages.

I also like it because if you forget a command they're all right there to look at rather than having to go to the wikibook..
>>
>>51793154
That's what I'm talking about. I don't mind reading the wiki but it's nice when they're all handy!
>>
>>51787851
made me chuckle, I haven't seen that one before
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.