[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is it that aftermarket CPU cooling is such a huge market,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: downloadfile.jpg (65 KB, 800x606) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.jpg
65 KB, 800x606
Why is it that aftermarket CPU cooling is such a huge market, even normies don't even take stock coolers out of the box and watercooling is mainstream, hell, we screw triple fan heatsinks on our CPUs that bend them and reapply thermal paste twice daily. At the same time aftermarket GPU cooling only happens in enthusiast builds, we mostly leave the cooling to Asus, msi, sapphire or who else sells our favorite GPUs the cheapest. The only way most people actively interfere with GPU cooling is by fucking up the airflow to the top card in SLI crossfire setups.

tl;dr: Why do we go to great lengths to keep CPU temperature under 40℃ while the GPU just burns up at 75℃ like "This is fine."?
>>
>>51783538
CPUs are actually perfectly safe up to 100c.
>>
Why the fuck is my house 66 degrees F while my body is in the high ninetys? Why do we go such width to make our home a suitable temperature but leave our bodies relatively on fire?
>>
>>51783538
>SLI crossfire
SLI / crossfire
>>
>>51783538
'cuz GPUs are MADE FOR GAMURZ and therefor have decent coolers added by the manufacturers

a CPU could be used by anyone
>>
>>51783569
SLI + crossfire
>>
>>51783568
I've always wondered why the internal body temp is 96, yet if it's over 75 most people are sweating like a dog. I mean, if your body literally must stay at 96 to work right and not die, why is ambient 96 fucking scorching? Shouldn't it feel like "room temperature"?
>>
>>51783621
We're warm blooded. If the ambient temperature is too high our body temperature gets too hot.

Our body temperature stays at 96 because it's always losing produced heat via convection.

You're thinking of cold-blooded animals.

Go back to fucking elementary.
>>
File: asus-hd7970-dc2-01.jpg (42 KB, 700x405) Image search: [Google]
asus-hd7970-dc2-01.jpg
42 KB, 700x405
Why don't video cards come with true triple slot coolers any more? This card was amazing.
>>
>>51783621
Who sweats at 75F? That's a really nice temperature
>>
>>51783621
It's because that's the temperature that most of your bodily functions work best at. Bacteria, oxygen uptake, fluid dispersal.

External temperatures are different. If it's hotter, your body has to actually work to put off heat, which means sweating. Working harder means your body generates more heat which means it needs to put off more water to cool yourself.

Funfax: If your internal temperature goes above a certain threshold, your body goes into full shutdown mode to stop you from overworking it. If it keeps going up, your brain swells up and you start having brain death occur because it both can't get any oxygen and starts to bruise itself.
>>
File: typical AMD GPU.jpg (161 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
typical AMD GPU.jpg
161 KB, 1200x800
>>51783672

are you saying you *want* a housefire card?
>>
So, why do we go to great lengths to keep CPU temperature under 40℃ while the GPU just burns up at 75℃?
>>
Because the GPU has it's own PCB with many components like the core, vram, vrm and so forth along with being bulky. The vram and vrm's alone probably contribute at least 30% of the heat to the GPU.
>>
>>51783706
I'm saying the opposite dude. A third slot means room for bigger fans and more heatsink and thus a cooler card.
>>
>>51783538
GPU has never been above 58 m8
Also, when you are an pro overclocker such as myself you need MAXIMUM performance.
>>
>>51783568

What the fuck kind of analogy is this?
>>
>>51783707
It's because the CPU is an ultra-general-use chip. It has a LOT of specialized functions and there's a lot of different hardware in there, some of which can function above a certain point but a lot of which can't. It's also a result of the process node used and voltage and gating and desired clock rate.

Same thing goes with the GPU, but it uses a lot of small, identical, mostly fixed function units that run at a far lower clock rate and voltage than a CPU does. At the same node and gating a GPU has a lot more thermal headroom.
>>
>>51783785
BTW, if you're going to ask why a GPU runs hotter than a CPU most of the time, it's because a GPU has waaaaaaaay more of the chip activated at any one time.

Utilizing 100% of a GPU is a paltry thing to do, utilizing 100% of a CPU is significantly harder to do.
>>
75 degrees? my graphics card is 98 degrees? should i be worried
>>
>>51783898
Fahrenheit?
>>
>unironically using Fahrenheit degrees
LMAO
>>
>>51783621
Because we are ineffective as fuck
We only use ~40% of the energy we eat (basically as any other animal because 500 million years were enough to brood force an optimal solution). The remaining 60% become heat. Since our body only operates optimal at ~37°C it is better to went all the energy we have left over to the environment.
If Notre the environment has the same temperature as we want to achieve we need to actively cool ourselfs Erich results in sweating because we still heat up due to our metabolism.
>>
>>51783902

degrees c
>>
>>51783621
No we are like cars; if the ambient temp is 140 the vehicle is likely to overheat, but if it's 75°F outside and car operates at 140 then it won't increase and will stay fine. We produce heat.
>>
>>51783898
>should i be worried
yes
>>
>>51783538
Stock coolers (at least Intel's) are fine if you're not overclocking and have air conditioning. The blind have led the blind into believing CPUs need to be way cooler than necessary, partly because CPU temperature is measured in Celsius for which Americans have no contextual understanding.
>>
>>51787043
Not just the blind. Skilled marketeers. You suckers would all have third party GPU coolers if they had a common mount. That's the answer to OP's question. GPUs don't have a standard form factor for attaching coolers.
>>
>>51783538
Cooler CPU = Better Turbo Boost clocks
>>
>>51783898
290X confirmed
>>
>>51787077
>That's the answer to OP's question. GPUs don't have a standard form factor for attaching coolers.
Already figured it must have to do with how easy mounting heatsinks on CPUs is as opposed to GPUs. Kinda leaves me with the further question of why GPUs didn't get standardized to sell even more aftermarket shit, but oh well...
>>
>>51787358
GPU makers don't want to sacrifice design flexibility and agree on a standard, heat output varies drastically, and some people just buy a new GPU when the shitty sleeve bearing fans get too loud.
>>
>>51787395
I get it, but how likely is it that there's an alternate universe where you buy an Asus i5-4670k fancy something or an MSI i7-6700k OC Series and buy stock GPUs and aftermarket coolers by default?
>>
>>51787502
I dunno. I think things would need to be very different for CPU heat output to have way more variance with GPUs having very little.
>>
>>51787043

No contextual understanding?

How fucking retarded do you have to be to know and understand that 0c = frozen water and 100c = boiling water?

If a CPU is near 100, it's almost as hot as boiling water. If it's at 50c, then it's nowhere NEAR as hot as boiling water, it's fine.
>>
>>51783538
People are just fucking stupid.

It's the same with power supplies.

"PSU calculator says I need a 500 watt PSU? Better get a 1000 just to be safe derp derp"!
>>
>>51787043
>Americans have no contextual understanding
>>51788192
>How fucking retarded do you have to be
>>51787043
>Americans

There's your answer.
>>
>>51783672
I actually sold my two 7850s and bought a used one of 7950 versions for like $90. Works great, absolutely quiet.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.