[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When Women Stopped Coding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 22
/g/ B T F O

>Modern computer science is dominated by men. But it hasn't always been this way.

>A lot of computing pioneers — the people who programmed the first digital computers — were women. And for decades, the number of women studying computer science was growing faster than the number of men. But in 1984, something changed. The percentage of women in computer science flattened, and then plunged, even as the share of women in other technical and professional fields kept rising.

>What happened?

>The share of women in computer science started falling at roughly the same moment when personal computers started showing up in U.S. homes in significant numbers.

>These early personal computers weren't much more than toys. You could play pong or simple shooting games, maybe do some word processing. And these toys were marketed almost entirely to men and boys.

>This idea that computers are for boys became a narrative. It became the story we told ourselves about the computing revolution. It helped define who geeks were, and it created techie culture.

>Movies like Weird Science, Revenge of the Nerds and War Games all came out in the '80s. And the plot summaries are almost interchangeable: awkward geek boy genius uses tech savvy to triumph over adversity and win the girl.

>In the 1990s, researcher Jane Margolis interviewed hundreds of computer science students at Carnegie Mellon University, which had one of the top programs in the country. She found that families were much more likely to buy computers for boys than for girls — even when their girls were really interested in computers.

>This was a big deal when those kids got to college. As personal computers became more common, computer science professors increasingly assumed that their students had grown up playing with computers at home.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/10/21/357629765/when-women-stopped-coding
>>
When will this "women can code too, silly boys!" meme stop?

Just enroll and shut the fuck up already.
>>
>Jane Margolis
Sorry I don't listen to junkies.
>>
Meanwhile women now grow up with just as much access to computers as men but the number of women in CS is still low.

Totally a valid reason though.
>>
>>51782943
Is is increasingly disproportioned by all those retarded code monkey guys?
>>
>>51782943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF692dBzWAs

also there's something similar happening on the 3d/games industry so far i haven't seen any "famous" 3d female artist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Q_K0CYmMs&list=PLMjnnUF3eJFeh8q3N8kGhfc58CDubQRZA&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7TJyZPKPo
>>
Why hasn't it picked up now that pc's are ubiquitous?

>le pay tree ark
>>
File: open.jpg (106 KB, 683x512) Image search: [Google]
open.jpg
106 KB, 683x512
>>51782943
>And these toys were marketed almost entirely to men and boys.
Yes, once again men are at fault for the failings of women. If only Commodore had a cross marketing agreement with Tampax and Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante, we'd have a nation of female programmers.
>>
>>51782943
Well unless you can also provide absolute numbers, that statistic doesn't have a lot of meaning.
It' s entirely possible that the total amount of women did not decrease, but the number of men has just increased
>>
>>51782993
>>51783037
The curve flattened, which actually is a change of direction. The main point is that tech is still seen as something for boys.
>>
>>51783084
Well keep in mind, there are a lot of retards who hardly understand programming in computer science
More than there were
>>
>>51782943
wymin can't program
their brains are different
>>
>>51782976
This
>>
File: 1443099847010.png (94 KB, 410x359) Image search: [Google]
1443099847010.png
94 KB, 410x359
>>51782976
That's the issue, they're not enrolling, they're not interested and the same people who say "girls can code too" have degrees so far removed from anything technology that the response no one has the balls to say is "how the fuck would you know?"

Pic only marginally related, wanted the comic with stem signup and woman's studies signup instead.
>>
>>51783184
>That's the issue, they're not enrolling
Is this what it's all about, then?

Why in the fuck is that everyone else's problem?
>>
>>51783184
So they aren't enrolling into a field and then proceeding to complain about lack of presence in that field.
>>
>>51783237
More like one group is complaining about the lack of presence and the group they want in the field doesnt really wanna
>>
>data entry classified under 'computer science'
>later on the statistic gets separated
voila
>>
>>51782976
tb͏h I don't even know if I can code (never had any official lessons or any shit before hitting uni) or not so I didn't go into CS (instead I'm heading into medicine). I do like writing bots for some browser games, though as a bit of a hobby, but it's just too much money to spend on something you don't know if you're going to be good at.
>>
>>51783184
I find that there is an increase of girls that are enrolling into Computer Science courses right now. The problem is that they aren't doing very well in it, so they'll graduate without the necessary knowledge for a software job. I've seen this situation happen in one of my classes.
>coding class
>half class is girls
>tutor says make your own application for the lab
>girls say how do I make a method
>make male nerds do their work using their gril appeal

They are interested in it but can't be fucked doing the work because too difficult.
>>
>>51782991
Lawl
>>
>>51782976
Forgot the second reason I didn't pick up CS - heard that third world people ended up taking all the jobs in that field at the time I entered higher education but by the time I came out there's apparently enough opportunities s͏mh.
>>
It's simply because in that time more people started to code and women weren't among them.

In general women don't work in highly technical engineering fields that result in work that is essentially mental hard labor. Same reason you don't see many women working on building dams, designing circuitry, studying new materials etc. Of course they want something easier, more social etc. Nobody would have given a shit if IT jobs don't pay so much. Now suddenly you get random chicks who regret their psychology degrees and want in on some of that silicon valley money.
>>
>>51783324
Yup. Most of those "CS pioneers" were probably assistants, punching holes in punch-cards or something tbg
>>
Whenever I pass construction sites and see women wearing uniform, 98% of the time they are the ones holding the signs and directing traffic

Just another observation.
>>
>>51782976
but anon, did you know that women have gaping wounds upon their person which cause them to be "le just as clevr as boys at teh cumputors"? surely you need to account for this fact and reassess your opinions.
>>
This is so stupid. Most parents don't buy computers just for their kids. They bought them for word processing or some other work, at least when I was growing up and there was no internet.

I have a twin sister, and she had as much opportunity to use the computer as I did. Fuck, I didn't even do any programming or anything because I had no idea about how computers worked other than random Windows programs. She went into nursing, and I, computers.

Do boys complain that they don't have access to nursing mentors or stethoscopes or something?
>>
So if everyone is so concerned with the equal distribution of sexes in different fields, why is no one paying to get more men into nursing?

Seriously?
>>
>>51783522
Fuck nursing, I wanna be a camwhore.
>>
>>51783522
Nurses have pretty messy and underpaid job. Every girl and guy I know in my degree was aiming to get into medicine, optom and dentistry as a close second. The people who don't get into those two go into physio or audiology.

If they failed to get into medicine, they did honours or a second undergrad to try and get the grades for med. I believe others went into research.

There's a reason why there's a nursing shortage.
>>
>>51783547
Nurses are not underpaid, I know quite a few

Question still stands, why are we picking and choosing which fields to 'equalise'?
>>
>>51783522

Fuck, nursing programs actually have a need for more men because they need people to help lift fatfucks (though not sure why they can't just hire some big orderlies...).

What benefit does being a female bring to computer science? It doesn't really make much of a difference if you have the talent and/or work ethic to be successful.
>>
>>51783607
Computer science is now purely based on male logic. But if you also base it on female logic, then you get double the amount of logic you can use.
>>
>>51783117
Computer science is hardly about programming desu
>>
>>51783631
>gendered logic
Are you retarded?
>>
>>51783704
Do you deny that's a thing? Are you saying women can't use logic?
>>
>>51782943
>women are, apparently, easily influenced by the media because their success strategy revolves around social strategy, rather than persuing the immaculate pure skill
>>
>>51783565
There's always going to be fields which are skewed because people choose what they like/what earns them money/what they can actually get into. The most that you can do is ensure that everyone gets exposed to coding early primary school/high school (maybe replacing less relevant things such as like 'don't pirate software' or religious education).

The more idiotproof technology gets, like locked in smartphones, the less normal people are interested in how it works behind the scenes. Back then the user interfaces didn't look so good and weren't so functional so people had to resort to making their own things and altering it. Nowadays, software is all stock standard and you can't change it easily even if you want to so people don't really get that sort of experience.

And if you end up in a field you don't like you can always switch but at least in my opinion the longer you wait in your education, the harder it is to switch. High school grades mean absolutely nothing but in uni/college students are GPA whoring and only picking subjects that earn them marks because not getting good grades means not being able to switch courses, not being able to study new courses and not being able to get into a master's degree that you want to. Also, people fall into traps like Arts degrees thinking that it will get them somewhere (it won't).

Back in the day, education was free for all so people studied what they liked, but these days you think about how much college costs and people would much rather do something that they are already good at/and can get a good job in and pays well rather than try new things or take risks in jobs that might not work for them.

Just because you do a degree in a different field, it doesn't mean that you can't still have coding as a hobby.
>>
>>51782943
>personal computers come out
>someone has to figure out how to make a product on this new platform
>too hard, women cant even into
naturally men pioneer the way. it's what men do
>>
>>51783337
there is no knowing you're going to be good at it. you either GIT GUD or you stay the fuck out. it's hard work, plain and simple. whatever you heard on the news or in the movies about some "whiz kid" or whathave you is all bullshit meant to sell tickets and copies, and get views on youtube. the way it's really done is reading, reading, reading, reading, trying, and never, ever giving up.
>>
>>51783746
I'm denying that there's a significant difference in how logic works between the genders.
>>
>>51783503
>Do boys complain that they don't have access to nursing mentors or stethoscopes or something?
uh, no. nobody has ever done that. this whole "i cant even into computer science beacuse it's a boys club" thing is just a meme.

the people want an excuse to have some cushy high paynig job without actually getting the skills required so they play the sexism card
>>
>>51783801
>implying
>>
>>51783836
I'm not talking about logic in the colloqial sense.
I mean logic as in the concept that allows for conclusions that are indeüendant of your subjective position.
>>
>>51783792
It's too late to try out things by the time you get into university because you run the potential of completely destroying your GPA (and your master's/honor's entry). You could always do a diploma or something, but as a major without doing another undergrad you won't meet the prerequisites.

It's not about learning things that you are interested in, but learning things that will help you meet the GPA threshold.

The switch should be made as early on as possible, before it starts affecting your academic career. Wish that was something I'd known earlier.
>>
>>51783877
sounds like you're shit at doing things that enable good study habits
>>
>>51783897
Anki is love, Anki is life.
>>
>>51783950
>implying rote memorization is what amounts to knowledge

you're the decline of western civilisation incarnate
>>
>>51783950
knowledge isn't power. understanding is power. you can't understand shit if all you do is use flash cards to memorize key terms
>>
File: angry gorilla.gif (866 KB, 352x224) Image search: [Google]
angry gorilla.gif
866 KB, 352x224
>>51783950
>Anki
sure is freshman in here. enjoy switching majors from medicine when it gets tough to women's studies or accounting
>>
>>51783993
Med is only postgrad here.
>>
>>51783954
you can use anki to go through key concepts and for each one spend some time going over what you know.
You do not have to use it in the "repeat exactly the stuff on the other side"-way
>>
>>51784004
then be sure to get some brick shithouse malpractice insurance, because you're gonna use the shit out of it
>>
Women really influenced by movies and TV

Women in cs in the 70s were probably doing data entry vs in the 80s when powerful personal computers became affordable and you had no need for humans doing the work a computer could do

Tldr women were replaced by computers
>>
How can we help these women? How can we get them to enroll? I know for a fact that women use technology as much as men so what the fuck is going on. The answers in the OP are too convenient.
>>
File: wnIaRyJ.gif (133 KB, 311x366) Image search: [Google]
wnIaRyJ.gif
133 KB, 311x366
>>51784036
>>
>>51784075
why do you or "we" need to help them?

matter of fact is programming is not some out of the world feat that only genius can do. it's a logical, procedural, knowledge based skill that any non-retard can do to a degree given the effort. if women want to work in this field there is no obstacle as there has never been for them. they aren't in this field because they chose not to. in fact if you enroll in any UC CS master course you will see plenty of Chinese/Indian international female students. If they can do it why can't American women?

the answer is they chose not to so there is nothing to be done at all.
>>
So girls stopped liking computers because they became associated with nerds?

I'd say the problem lies with them tbqh.
>>
/g/ has been picking dumb issues to get worked up over more than usual lately

half of our jobs are going to be outsourced to pakis in fifteen years anyway. Be worried about the coder in Karachi that will do your work for a tenth of your salary not some dumb /pol/ issue
>>
File: women_in_stem_fields.jpg (147 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
women_in_stem_fields.jpg
147 KB, 1024x1024
>>51783184
This comic?
>>
>>51784120
To be absolutely fair, it's more retarded that fields like biological sciences hasn't been replaced by the internet and econ/commerce/marketing hasn't been recognised as the scam that it is.

Arts has already fallen and STEM is soon to come. Everything can be outsourced.
>>
>>51784107
This. Unfortunately attempting to "fix" things often leads to worse results. there is no magical quota that needs to be filled to determine how many women and/or racial minorities need to be hired for a given task, and attempting to equalize the numbers will just break everything.
>>
>>51784107
>in fact if you enroll in any UC CS master course you will see plenty of Chinese/Indian international female students.
absolutely true. american women have entitlement sickness
>>
>>51784150
>econ/commerce/marketing hasn't been recognised as the scam that it is.
I've worked with enough engineers that are borderline social autists to know that the STEM field needs marketers and OR flacks.
>>
>>51784213
>inept person attempting to justify their usefulness

TOP KEK
>>
>>51784230
Do you know how to avoid having your ads get shuffled into dead zones?
How to ensure that your applications don't get lost in the bureaucracy?
How to interact with clients without coming across as incompetent, arrogant or painfully shy?
How to earn free advertising through news coverage?
How to deal with the media if/when things fuck up on your end and your reputation is crumbling?
>>
>>51782943
tl;dr adam ruins everything-videogames
>>
>>51784230
That anon probably earns more than everyone put together in this thread.
>>
>>51784285
you're a people person, i get it. you don't have a place in the engineering department or R&D though, especially if you aren't going to try to understand the technology that we pour our heart and soul into, and sacrifice time with our famlies, or just alone time, to build, then shit out some oversimplified, ad spot. when a company is good enough they will need you, but don't try to force your way in where you aren't wanted, you're hurting your career.
>>
>>51782943
>be male
>be CS student
>go to college
>come back from classes
>roommate 1 is reading up on RS-232 communication standard
>roommate 2 is writing on his blog that he hosts on his computer
>roommate 3 is making a bot that chats like human
>roommate 4 is playing counter strike with guys from the other room on LAN
>in short everyone's daily life revolves around computers, and they are passionate about computers

>be female
>be CS student
>go to college
>come back from classes
>roommate 1 is applying nail paint
>roommate 2 is brushing her hair
>roommate 3 is out with her friends at the local hangout place
>roommate 4 is browsing Facebook
>who gives a shit about computers?

It's simple, women aren't interested in tech and that's alright too, people have different interests, but it gets silly when they claim they are interested in studying something and when given the opportunity and resources to, they do it half assed and end up nowhere. There are CS grads out there who probably don't even know how to solder, or haven't ever made a quick and dirty web server. Those people aren't passionate, they just want a degree and a job
>>
>>51782943
>I frequent hacker news
>>
>>51784875
Why does the hacker known as 4chan not frequent a website known as hacker news?
>>
>>51782943
>Movies cause women to suddenly drop coding
I'm not even going to give them a view.
>>
File: 3L8rfv2.png (26 KB, 577x120) Image search: [Google]
3L8rfv2.png
26 KB, 577x120
>>51784923
They sure know where their clickbait priorities are.
>>
>>51783364
Kek that meme only exists to keep supply down
>>
>>51782943
>media is stopping women from studying computer science
>on the other hand media which should have similarly affected men is not stopping men from being teachers, biologists, doctors etc

I wonder where the problem lies hmm....
>>
>>51783867
Computers don't care about that. If they did we would already have real AI at which point nobody would give even a slightest duck about working anymore
>>
>>51784118
This
>>
>>51782943
Lies.
>the people who programmed the first digital computers — were women
These women typed code that others wrote.
>>
>>51783746

women can use logic, but logic is logic, there is no such thing as female or male logic.
>>
>>51782993
But blah blah patriarchy... blah blah misogyny
>>
>>51785266
There's different logics. Fuzzy is one, and intuitionist is one. Then there's the usual concept taught for first year CS students.
>>
>>51782976

They think it's an elected position or something. Same with directing.
>>
>>51785246
this

Women stopped caring when it started being something more than a menial data entry job.
>>
>>51784975
Why should media stop men from becoming biologists?
>>
>>51782976
>B-b-b-but how will I be considered a brave womyn standing up the sexism in the tech industry if I don't make it a big deal I'm a girl?
>>
>>51782943
>80% of adolescent females are literally addicted to handheld computer use
>"computers are only marketed to boys hurrrrr"
>>
>>51783631
Aristotle is cringing
>>
>>51784747
>>be male
>>be CS student
>>go to college
>>come back from classes
>>roommate 1 is reading up on RS-232 communication standard
>>roommate 2 is writing on his blog that he hosts on his computer
>>roommate 3 is making a bot that chats like human
>>roommate 4 is playing counter strike with guys from the other room on LAN
>>in short everyone's daily life revolves around computers, and they are passionate about computers
>>be female
>>be CS student
>>go to college
>>come back from classes
>>roommate 1 is applying nail paint
>>roommate 2 is brushing her hair
>>roommate 3 is out with her friends at the local hangout place
>>roommate 4 is browsing Facebook
>>who gives a shit about computers?

To some people you sound like a mega misogynist cis gender fem hater.
But as a compSci graduate, that is literally my experience, as soon as class was over the girls in my classes interest in the subject also ended. I was always tindering with hardware, and trying to talk to these dumb bitches about how cool the rpi was for how cheap it is always always resulted in questions like "what's a GPIO?" "ARM? is that like x86"
I almost quit my degree because the lecturers would humour their questions and some days we would barely get anything done in class.
>>
>>51788060
>I was always tindering with hardware
Tinkering*

I was also always tindering, but that's a story for another day.
>>
WE
>>
WUZ
>>
>>51783061
It's more like if commodore only had a marketing scheme for tampax we might see a lot less guys in programming than girls.
>>
>>51782943
Women never programmed. "Programming" before meant taking the piece of paper representing a program and activating the switches on the computer to match the program by hand. All the work was still done by a man, the woman was merely doing the manual labor, so to speak.
>>
>>51782943
>1984
Remind me again why it's my fault or why i should give the slightest fuck.
>>
>>51789350
DATA ENTRY SPECIALIZ
>>
File: 1445554364543.png (88 KB, 301x377) Image search: [Google]
1445554364543.png
88 KB, 301x377
>>51782943
Why is this my fucking problem? I'm supposed to pay you to help you take my job, you cunts? When the fuck do women ever do anything on the behalf of men?

Just get a computer, buy C++ for Dummies, and use it in your stinky basement like the rest of us, or don't. This is the most accessible profession there is.

Fuck bitches and fuck white knights.
>>
>>51783413
Actually it was more that early CS was very close with pure mathematics in which women have had a much bigger presence for a lot longer than CS has even existed.

Take Grace Hopper for instance. She was a mathematician, not a computer scientist, who ended up working with early computers and programming them as early as the second world war. When she "created the first compiler" by writing a program to link together several of her (male) colleagues programs and putting it all on the same tape, she said she did it so that mathematicians like herself could go back to being mathematicians and not having to be computer scientists.

Of course there were the operators that during and just after the war were women due to most men of that age being on the front lines. However they don't count as computer scientists and certainly don't count towards enrollment statistics ether.
>>
>>51783522
The reality is that it's not actually about equal distribution of jobs, it's about getting more women into cushy well paying jobs with decent job security.

Ask a feminist about getting more women into manual labor like coal mining or construction and they'll ether know to shut up and not answer your question or then screw up and tell you the real purpose of the whole "We need more women into CS" thing that i just mentioned.
>>
>>51788060
>>51784747

As a girl studying Software Engineering, this is sadly pretty accurate.
>>
File: XDXDXD.png (807 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
XDXDXD.png
807 KB, 1280x720
I love being crazy sometimes..

>tfw knife crazy, so of course I don't care what your opinion is while I'm thinking up horrible ways to kill you
>>
>so, today's to-do list...
>p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶o̶l̶o̶g̶i̶c̶a̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶a̶b̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶e̶n̶e̶m̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶h̶o̶ ̶I̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶p̶l̶e̶t̶e̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶n̶f̶a̶i̶r̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶o̶l̶o̶g̶i̶c̶a̶l̶ ̶w̶a̶r̶f̶a̶r̶e̶
>plan my days so that I do not encounter these pieces of garbage
>study or correct any issues with my environment that makes it not conducive to studying

That was refreshing.
>>
Programming requires logic. Something that females do not have
>>
/!\ WARNING /!\
This is a thread-wide high-priority warning.
Be aware, the Dark One, Angela, has been spotted in this thread.
/!\ WARNING /!\
>>
>>51782943
if women want to code THEN FUCKING CODE but please for the love of god SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT EITHER WAY
>>
>>51790385
Self-projecting much??? Because I'm better at using logic than you are.

>>51790404
NICE 404-get!
>>
>>51783541
Gays pay for that. But you're going to need to have low bodyfat.
>>
>>51790438
>>
>>51782943

Doctors and Lawyers are all hot and have prestigious careers, even the latter applies to scientists

computer science is for fat ass autists with no social skills; women usually dont fit that role and so they soon realize its not for them
>>
File: psychopathic manchild.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
psychopathic manchild.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>51790432
It's just so much fun to torture >>51790385. He'd look nice as a component of exterior decorating, perhaps hanging headless by his feet from a lamp post after being impaled, his head and eventually his skull used for other exterior decorating purposes.

>>51790460
>self-projecting

I guess there is only trash where you are.
>>
>>51784747
>>roommate 2 is writing on his blog that he hosts on his computer

Why the hell would you host anything from your computer you could literally never shut it off and its eating up your own internet connection. Running a private server isn't 'neat' or impressive, any retard can do it

>roommate 3 is making a bot that chats like human
Again, literally useless shit tier coding you find in a 8 year old youtube video

You're autistic, showing how little you know about women doesn't make you cool. Is your only experience with women based on episodes of clueless you autist?
>>
>>51790471
>I have no idea what CS is: the post
>>
>>51790526
> eating internet connection
I run db with graphed rows 3000 active users 90 million rows of data that uses about 1gb of bandwidth per month... gzipped text doesn't use shit for bandwidth
>>
>>51790623
Fuck off, rajeesh.
>>
File: tmp_857-1449630122105978922681.jpg (97 KB, 1024x569) Image search: [Google]
tmp_857-1449630122105978922681.jpg
97 KB, 1024x569
>>51790666
>>
>>51790542
> Taking the b8: the post

Come on, m8, don't get ir8, that's what the cunt wants; it's how he masterb8s.
>>
>>51782943
This barely has anything to do with technology, stop obsessing over women, you creepy virgins.
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>51790623

make sure you mention that to your landlord when she asks you why the fuck the isp suspended your service

>le professor xD i'm hosting my own site professor xxD i pressed 'install' a few times and followed instructions from a utube video and now im a leet hacker even though im risking the internet connection of my entire household to offer my non existent userbase a shitty connection to my blog

>hey professor, what ftp client do you use xDDDDDDDDD GUISE HEY GUISE I KNOW WHAT FTP MEANS

Literally tell your tryhard faggot roommate to kill himself
>>
>>51790824
U jelly? U mirin his server? Maybe when you grow up you'll be smart like him, Timmy!
>>
>>51790735
/g/ is /r9k/ with most of the despair channelled into programming elitism. If we didn't have software we'd all be robots.
>>
>>51782943
why /g/ is btfo?
>>
>>51783522
>So if everyone is so concerned with the equal distribution of sexes in different fields, why is no one paying to get more men into nursing?
>Seriously?
They do over here in Scandinavia. Also for teachers.
Works quite well.
>>
File: anger management issues.png (1016 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
anger management issues.png
1016 KB, 1280x720
>>51790855
/g/ is stupid and I was a ricer before this board existed as the technology board. Then, I wasted years of my life making the torturing of these pieces of excrement into my hobby. Because these delusional pieces of trash were mean to me and my real life was so awful I wasn't getting anything done anyways, and I needed something to take it out on. So I chose these pieces of shit who keep writing the letters 'w', and 'o', and 'm', and 'e', and 'n', and various screed, like it means something.

I don't understand why they're confused about why I want to torture and murder them.
>>
File: very happy.jpg (56 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
very happy.jpg
56 KB, 640x480
>seriously, C is gonna be pretty easy, what I know of C++ was pretty easy (though I didn't get to finish learning it due to distractions IRL and needing to take my rage out on people who were mean to me on the internet so I could manipulate my IRL so it could be better), and I'm constantly outwitting these pieces of shit who think they're as good as me, so, I haven't much to worry about

Sprained ankle is healed, now I just have to make my surroundings more conducive to studying, moving is always chaotic.
>>
>>51783547
>Nurses have pretty messy and underpaid job.

For the amount of actual knowledge and skill, they're well paid.

For the amount of actual fucking *work*, they're underpaid. But guess who makes them work that hard? Other nurses. They were abused when they got into nursing, so they abuse new nurses. They think you have to have such an innate need to be a nurse that you'll work 12 hour shifts, extra overtime, and never complain about how your body is wrecked.

Also, nurses need to shut the fuck up. No, you don't know better than the doctor. Yes, you one time caught a doctor's mistake, that just means you were paying attention. No, you can't make dumb assertions about food quality because you did a nine month nursing program.
>>
>>51784747
>in short everyone's daily life revolves around computers, and they are passionate about computers

Just because you're socially awkward, introverted, and dependent upon computers as a fast-forward system through life doesn't mean you're passionate about them.

So tired of the abuse of "passionate" these days, particularly with regards to computers.

Ultimately, it's a bullshit buzzword used by employers to justify keeping salaries stagnant. "Oh, you just lack the PASSION that would drive you to work harder for the same salary we were paying a decade ago."
>>
>>51791025
>what I know of C++ was pretty easy (though I didn't get to finish learning it due to distractions

You'll never finish learning C++.

Also, how strong is your understanding of the STL? Boost? Show me how to write a templated Upcase() function that takes a std::basic_string<T> and works for all languages.

Now explain the Curiously Recurring Template Pattern.

Now compare and contrast the strengths of polymporphic inheritance versus template metaprogramming.
>>
Well now that computers are widely accessible to women and men why haven't the numbers started to rise?
>>
>>51791150
Fuck OOP, I'd learn assembly language if I knew of a processing architecture that isn't going to get ruined by fucking DRM/Trusted Computing shit, I really just want to program in peace, and anyone who has a problem with it can go drown themselves.
>>
File: unweildly.jpg (51 KB, 600x429) Image search: [Google]
unweildly.jpg
51 KB, 600x429
>>51791150
You are right, I will never finidh learning C++.. you know what, fuck C++. It's not low-level enough.
>>
>anyone who has a problem with it can go drown themselves

Preferrably by jumping into a sewer, cause that's where shit belongs.
>>
>>51783522
Nursing? Nah, what we need is more male teachers to provide young men with role models.
>>
>>51783954
>implying you can understand enough to do anything useful if you have to look up facts all the time
Rote memorization is very underrated
>>
>>51791217
>finidh -> finish

I have had too much coffee, my hands are shakey.

>>51791243 (and I laughed so hard after I posted this)
>>
File: NancyReagan_JustSayNo.jpg (1 MB, 2027x3000) Image search: [Google]
NancyReagan_JustSayNo.jpg
1 MB, 2027x3000
>>51791193

OOP is great for some set of problems. Also, it has little to do with my question. But if you think -- and I'm not saying you do -- that you can claim to have learned C++ without deeply understanding OOP, then you'd be terribly wrong.

>>51791217
>You are right, I will never finidh learning C++.. you know what, fuck C++. It's not low-level enough.

I've done my good deed for the day.

C++ Just Say No
>>
Programming is dominated by nerds, and it is nerdishness that is disproportionately male.

How many women or girls do you know that are passionately into trains? How many that collect stamps? What about women who do historic reenactment, and make their own chainmail?
Like programming, all these hobbies involve spending a ton of time in *solitary, nonsocial* pursuit of the hobby. Like programming, they all have MANY times more male than female practitioners. This seems to be a general feature of nerdery; there's a reason the stereotypical nerd is a guy.

I think it is fairly obvious why programming is influenced to a great degree by nerds. Spending tons of free time is an excellent way of getting good at it, which means that the group of people who are very good at it are dominated by the nerds.

So let's put the blame where the blame lies: if we want more women in programming, what we need is a lot more women growing up as isolated social outcasts, spending their day programming or making chainmail instead of social activities. I could get behind this proposal.

>captcha: select all images with trains
ONLY GOOGLE UNDERSTANDS ME
>>
>>51791353

I would just like to point out that many of my best coworkers have been female. They came to work, understood the problem, created a solution, and went the fuck home.

What did the men do? Sat around wisecracking. Procrastinated in order to get that thrill of barely finishing in time. And worst of all: the alpha-geeking. The passive-aggressive bullshit like mumbling in a meeting so that when someone says "what?" you can talk in a snotty and condescending way, as if they somehow didn't understand you because what you said was too smart. Or getting bent out of shape over the dumbest, most meaningless bullshit technical detail that boils down ENTIRELY to subjective preference.

Seriously, the worst coworkers I've had have all been men.
>>
Oh, it's this debunked graph again.

The definition of computer science in universities greatly changed. People used to go to college to learn how to type (not kidding).
>>
>>51786764

No, Intuition is intuition. Has no real basis or groundwork to base anything on. Logic is logic. There is a basis and groundwork, reasoning, and conclusions based on reasoning. This is either bait, or you really are stupid.
>>
>>51792400
Fucking look intuitionist logic up before you try to sound smart. You ended up sounding like a retard. Kill yourself.
>>
>>51791353
nah bro biological and sociological differences are racist and sexist

we have to pretend like black people like bluegrass music and women love computer programming or else we aren't being fair to these people who don't actually exist
>>
>>51793005
>intuitionist logic
This is of no relevance to the vast majority of software, and you cannot build practical hardware based on intuitionist logic. And it's completely unrelated to the common meaning of "intuition", so males are almost certainly better at it anyway.
>>
>>51790855
>If we didn't have software we'd all be robots.
B-but.. How can you have robots without software?
>>
>>51782943
Programmers back then included cards and shit. Replace the goods that you see poor women in foreign countries make with pre-1984 "computers", you'll feel like you stepped back in time.

Women only make 1 cent less than men for comparable positions and experience. Women are not being prejudiced against. There is a race/sex war going on. It's your responsibility as a man to only have sex and children with conservative women. Although you should treat all women with respect and promote a rape-free culture. Do your part to kill the parasitic cancer of liberalism and 3rd wave feminism before it kills the host.
>>
>>51793298
The incorrect claim was
>logic is logic
Thus
>implying there's only one kind of logic
>>
>>51783342
>>coding class
>>half class is girls

Reeks of bullshit. And just because one woman pushed off her work to another student, doesn't mean women cannot code.
>>
>>51784150
You know what happens when you outsource stem. You end up with faked data and medicine that doesnt work. They already tried to outsouce alot of stem jobs. The quality control on the materials is so bad the people who need to use them can't. All the good stem people move to america anyways and leave the c students and barely passed shit heads for the outsourcing jobs.

Souce: i do quality control for a custom chemical synthesis lab. Id say roughly half of the material we recieve from oversea vendors needs to be purified before we can even begin.
>>
Women got removed from the field as technology picked up and complexity theory became important as all hell. Prior to advances in the 80s, it was actually just math majors doing math and paying females to work as code monkeys. Now that we have advances in the field and it's become more than math - lite of course men have taken control.
>>
File: computer-division-472.jpg (61 KB, 550x426) Image search: [Google]
computer-division-472.jpg
61 KB, 550x426
Just so people here know, being a math major back in the 40s and 50s was not a glamorous or respectable degree, it was a lot like being a clerk, and a lot of women became math majors in college because it was a job widely available to women. There werent a lot of technical fields open at that time like biological research, it was mainly just engineering fields dominated by men. When computers first started to be used, their only purpose was to calculate math problems(thats the reason they were originally called computers, they computed math), many women with math degrees were hired as programmers to run these computers because they only did math. Later when computers started being used for business in age of mainframe computers, CS was became an attractive degree for women because the industry was dominated by giant computer corporations that needed people to write software and run the systems. There was very little innovation open to people in CS at this time idea of selling software was almost unheard of, software was always provided for free to the customer by the company that made the computers. This all changed in the 80s, being a programmer stopped being an easy job that would get you a steady paycheck at some huge mainframe computer manufacturing corporation.
>>
So you're basically saying when computing started getting a little complicated, women quit.
>>
>>51783214
Because the school system and media are influencing not to care about STEM because they're women. Are you really this stupid? Of course it's our problem.
>>
Why do they equal computes science to law schools? Are they implying that CS is the only thing to computers there is? Not to mention, most of CS focused guys are retardedly useless anyway and think software only revolves about computational complexity of fizzbuzz.
>>
>>51794173
>This all changed in the 80s, being a programmer stopped being an easy job that would get you a steady paycheck at some huge mainframe computer manufacturing corporation.
I don't know about 80s but I would say it is exactly how you say today. Being hired by big corp as internal developer/admin is easy comfy job while you can order subcontractors around.
>>
>>51782943
>>But in 1984, something changed.
>original mac released in 1984
>steve jobs is of armenian descent
>armenia oppresses women

found the reason
>>
>>51782993
The op is saying that our society had already installed a vibe about what gender should be into computers
>>
>>51794679
>In 1984, the Software Engineering Institute (SEI) was established as a federally funded research and development center headquartered on the campus of Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States.
It might be as simple as just CS and SE definitively splitting off and ignoring such facts in the statistics.
>>
There are so many SJWs (who have never worked in tech) spreading bullshit & highly exaggerated stories about "programmers", that they've scared women away from the field better than the socially retarded aspies who used to dominate the field.

Ok. Question answered. Thread done.
>>
>>51782976
Don't worry. They'll get bored eventually (and blame patriarchy for it).
Thread replies: 158
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.