[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is underclocking safe?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: geforce-gtx-titan-016[1].png (746 KB, 900x743) Image search: [Google]
geforce-gtx-titan-016[1].png
746 KB, 900x743
Is it safe to underclock my GPU?

Specifically, I want to use MSI Afterburner to lower the Core Clock and Memory Clock to the minimum. I would not be adjusting the Core Voltage.

I'm not particularly interested in it, but is it safe to underclock a CPU if you don't adjust the voltage as well?
>>
From what I've read, only adjusting the voltage will damage it
>>
File: 1446431132177.gif (804 KB, 448x360) Image search: [Google]
1446431132177.gif
804 KB, 448x360
>>51781384
Y tho
>>
>>51781667
When I leave my computer on overnight to download things I figure I may as well use as few resources as possible. I noticed using one monitor lowered my temp by 5+C AND lower my fan 10% so why not use even less?
>>
>>51781384
A small amount is okay but I wouldn't recommend lowering the clock speed drastically because you are unable to adjust the voltage accordingly.

I miss the days of adjusting ATI GPU clock speeds via software. Sucks the video card makers became so jewish.
>>
>>51781384
AMD Zero Core
>>
>>51781384
From what I can remember down clock can actually fuc with the graphics does graphics memory will underflow on the buffer
>>
>>51781384
I did this all the time on my 5850. Never had a problem. Besides the times when I tried to get into a game and forgot I needed to overclock, since I noticed i'd be getting half the framerate I usually get.
>>
I had an underclocked phone. Was fine and saved batteries alot.
>>
Yes, underclocking and undervolting is 100% safe.

I can run my GTX 970 with a 200mhz oc and undervolted from 1.212v to 1.175.

You can underclock as much as you want, undervolting depends on your chipset.
>>
I underclock my 280X.
It's quite easy to set up graphics profiles for it too.
>>
>>51782156
Aren't they working at 300mhz while idle 2d by default anyway?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.