[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /g/, are you pursuing a Computer Science degree like a noble
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: EkKOf.png (75 KB, 730x392) Image search: [Google]
EkKOf.png
75 KB, 730x392
So /g/, are you pursuing a Computer Science degree like a noble scholar, or are you merely a churlish code monkey in his mom's basement?
>>
>>51778841
earning 100k without going to college and self-taught programmer

fuck math lel
>>
File: photo.jpg (44 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
44 KB, 900x900
I think the answer is 3
>>
>>51778933
>fuck math lel

Shhhh, your vulgus is showing

(I had an offer for 120k at bloomberg but decided to go grad school instead)
>>
>>51778933
100k in what time? I hate when people don't put the time it takes them to make the supposed money they make.
>>
I just graduated EE, only took a basic c++ class, now I have a 95k/yr programming job.
>>
>>51779043
Well clearly you do not have the critical thinking skills required to be in STEM.
>>
>>51779146
I would consider you a patrician, but only because you have an EE degree.

>>51779174
It was a very reasonable question.
>>
>>51779043
A better question would be, 100k where?
>>
>>51778841
I don't even know why I'm doing this anymore.

I just wanna get a comfy code monkey job, do I really need this degree to do that? I've barely learned any programming and I'm in third year, because they only teach it in first year and I've been too busy to actually sit down and learn it myself.
>>
>>51779213
>I just wanna get a comfy code monkey job, do I really need this degree to do that?
Nope.
But, you have to be able to develop software. A CS degree is a token that you use for your very first employer to know that you are at least not retarded.
There's been an interesting post about this recently.
http://mikehadlow.blogspot.com.by/2015/12/learn-to-code-its-harder-than-you-think.html
>>
>>51779190
Ok we'll go through it step by step.

Did he mean 100k a week? That would imply he makes 5.1m a year (assuming he takes at least one week vacation).

Did he mean 100k a month? That would imply he makes 1.2m a year.

Perhaps he meant 100k a year. Yeah, yeah that's a reasonable (and generous) salary for a code monkey.
>>
>>51779298
Nigger what? Thinking he meant anything other than 100k a year is supreme autism.

It IS a generous salary for a code monkey which is why it's worth asking how long it took to climb the ladder there.
>>
>>51779298
I think the question was, how long it took him to get to a point of earning 100k/year, because after about 3 years of experience, there is no wage difference between having a degree in the distant past or not, unless it's a doctorate.
>>
I graduate with an IT undergrad degree in like 2 days, no exams left, just have to wait for commencement. I'm going back for a master's in CS though. They have a BioInformatics track that they usually steer IT grads too. My professor that I've been doing work for is the coordinator for the grad program and suggested I not bother with it since I'm decent enough, also pushed me through and waived a number of the requirements.

Feels nice to be done with the undergrad deal and be told you're 'gud enuf' to have a shot at the MS program. Hopefully I'll do okay.
>>
>>51779337
>>51779333
That isn't relevant, the time it takes someone to climb the ladder is different for every individual.

As far as I can see, the time it took that poster would be nothing like the many decades it would take either of you to climb the ladder.

Why many decades? - That bullshit you just pulled, you do that in a workplace and you're blacklisted for any type of promotion.

>Obscure, not well written question
>Argumentative/Hostile when questioned about their badly worded question
>Holier-than-thou attitutde
>>
>>51779395
*not bother with bio program, fuck i'm tired
>>
>>51779407
>>That isn't relevant, the time it takes someone to climb the ladder is different for every individual.
It is very relevant, having a degree has both the advantage in job seach conversion, starting salary, and perceived breadth of specialization. Not having one makes first couple of jobs more difficult to find and more difficult to change.
>>
>>51779407
Also, do you not realize I'm anonymous here?
>>
>>51779407
>That isn't relevant, the time it takes someone to climb the ladder is different for every individual.
The time it takes to get a bachelor's degree is different for every individual. The time it takes to learn to code competently is different for every individual. The time it takes to do fucking anything varies with the individual, so I guess we should just not ask anyone about anything.

>Obscure, not well written question
>Argumentative/Hostile when questioned about their badly worded question
>Holier-than-thou attitutde

I can tell that YOU would be the one not getting into any workplace with your obnoxious autism. If you actually asked someone that question in real life they'd probably politely clarify but think you're stupid. Based on the context it was VERY clear what he meant. And no dipshit, I would not reply with "nigger what" in real life so I think it's very obvious this is my internet dialect engaged, not my real-life speech. Why am I even bothering?
>>
File: 1429760706793.png (215 KB, 360x421) Image search: [Google]
1429760706793.png
215 KB, 360x421
>majoring in mechanical engineering (finishing 5th semester right now)
>get interested in electronics a year or so ago, also into programming
>pretty much any meaningful contributions I have ever made to a group project were writing software
>had interviewers comment that I have an awful lot of focus on computers and electronics for a mechanical engineering major
>did second round of interviews this semester for co-ops, nobody hired me this time or last time (most people get hired each round)
>friend at RIT in computer science interns at Apple, his friends are at Google and shit

Part of my rationale was that engineering requires degrees more than CS, did I fuck up?
>>
>>51779610
No.
>>
>>51779610
Yes. You need a CS degree to get cushy gigs.
>>
>>51779610
Nah, just tack your CS-related classes and group project to resume and go for software development, if you want to.
>>
>>51779610
Apply at Google, Apple, VW, Volvo, GM, Ford and the like.

You probably have a good skillset for autonomous and electric vehicles.

If you don't have the relevant Elentronic Engineering side, do the last few classes that top that off for you.
>>
>>51778841
>QUICKSORT MERGESORT OH OH OH YEAH UGGHHHH UGHGHHH
>NP COMPLETE UGGH OHH UGHHH YEAH
>BIG OH OF UGGH OHH UGHHH YEAH
>>
>>51781222
I'm actually going through with an electrical engineering minor, so that could work.

What can you tell me about signal processing? Considering if I should have that in my courses or not.
>>
I have a semester left of cs and i have a 100k job waiting. Holy fuck it's hard to graduate now
>>
Is anyone else concerned about the potential downfalls of Computer Science?

The topic of study is something you couldn't build from scratch, even if you devoted one billion dollars to it. You can't even directly observe the computer's operation, you need a whole layer of computers just to observe the computers.

Am I the only one that enjoys the thought of studying something that is comparatively simple, like geology, linguistics, or pure math?
>>
>>51778841

Other.

Pursing Networking/Pen-Testing crew checking in. Aka: right decision brigade.
>>
HELLO
I WOULD LIKE TO SELL MY LABOR FOR LESS THAN IT IS WORTH
PLEASE SIR CUM FURTHER DOWN MY WAGE-RAISED THROAT
MMM YES GIVE ME THAT EXPLOITATION

MMM

Privately contract or work for the betterment of society. This is /g/, not /biz/.
>>
I'm a neurologist I don't give a fuck about your gay math shit.
>>
>>51779213
Get an internship dude what are you doing
>>
>>51781729
>Is anyone else concerned about the potential downfalls of Computer Science?
nope
not a single bit.

>Am I the only one that enjoys the thought of studying something that is comparatively simple, like geology, linguistics, or pure math?
do it if you want to
not gonna try to convince you to take something that you really don't want to take
not gonna call you names
just do what you want to do.
>>
>>51781268
DSP and digital communication systems were fucking amazingly interesting classes.

In my bachelor's degree in CPE, which overflowed into 160+ credits, I regret not taking: RF, digital VLSI, and random process in the EE line, compilers and operating systems classes in the CS line.
>>
>>51781729
>pure math
>simple
It's not simple at all.
>>
>>51781893
>pure math
>useful
>>
File: 1332976568217.jpg (66 KB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
1332976568217.jpg
66 KB, 800x533
>>51781907
The parts which are useful right now were mostly discovered long time ago. Mathematical research is done way ahead of when it's going to be needed, for the fun and funding of it.
>>
>>51778841
finishing a BS in applied math in 6 days.

pleb cs majors will never understand glorious numerical linear algebra
>>
>>51781893
Linguistics and geometry are also complex in their respective ways. What I meant by simple is that the research is not proxy, YOU can evaluate the math by hand. YOU can determine the pronunciation of a phrase in this dialect. YOU can determine the class of rock at a certain layer of a mine. Good luck executing any sort of algorithm or program at scale.
>>
>>51781960
Atleast i have a six figure job
>>
>>51781965
>Good luck executing any sort of algorithm or program at scale.
What do you mean by that exactly? How difficult it is to debug something very complex?
>>
>>51781943
>I like wacking off to my studies
>>
>>51781965
You can mathematically model an algorithm's running time, prove its correctness, and more.
>>
>>51781884
Entering college next year, are compilers and OSs a good idea to study? I already have experience with some of this stuff but I'm wondering if I should look into AI or even engineering instead
>>
>>51781960
but linear algebra is used extensively in Computer Science
>>
>>51779407
Holy autism.
>>
>>51782556
I didn't even notice, but now that you've pointed it out, you are right, if that poster was a real autist, that would make sense.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.