[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Build first gaming computer >get 5850 >overclocks like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1
File: AMD-gaming-evolved.jpg (430 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
AMD-gaming-evolved.jpg
430 KB, 1920x1200
>Build first gaming computer
>get 5850
>overclocks like a son'bitch and is solid as a rock
>get 6870
>won't overclock as well, but still rock solid
>get 7950
>mostly solid but black screens and locks up whole computer at full load
>get 290x
>Black screens at 2D clocks under no load, cant even run stable when underclocked
>can't get a stable one after 3 RMAs and AMD refuses to acknowledge widely-reported issues with it

Is it just me, or have AMD cards, and their service, gone to shit. Anyone else have this issue with the 290 series and black screening on 2D tasks?
>>
Also, Sapphire customer service is now dog shit. $50 to RMA a defective product? How the fuck can they get away with this?
>>
Had a 6870 (still have it somewhere) that ran well, as did my 7950 (although it had a shitty cooler so didn't overclock much), now have two second hand (probably used for mining) 290s that run perfectly.

Sorry you had issues, perhaps you were unlucky or I just got lucky, but AMD have served me fine and have offered the best value for money.
>>
>7850
>overclocked, no problem
>two sets of 2x7850s
>both overclocked, worked great
>7950
>works just fine, quiet as hell too
>>
My 290x black screens and locks up on 2D as well. Been working on trying to fix it for over a year with no success, as multiple RMAs have resulted in the same issues. Likely isn't another part at fault as the cards do the same things on other machines and hardware combos and other cards work perfectly with them.
>>
290x masterrace here no problems.

How does it feel to be an nVidia shill?
>>
>>51777233

I've never owned a Nvidia card. Prefer AMD due to the price/performance but these problems are making me reconsider.
>>
>>51776900
My 390s are runnin well, haven't found a problemo yet
>>
>>51777252>>51777252
No problems here with a 390x, used 290x and used 290.
>>
whats the specs around the card? mobo etc? ive had issues with 290 but was fine when i set pci express speed to gen2, also heard others push a little more voltage through pcie slot
>>
>>51777361

Sapphire 290x Tri-X
MB is an ASRock Extreme4 Z87

Tries giving it a bit of extra voltage as well, but nothing seemed to stop the blackscreens. They seem especially common during video, but also happen when just on the desktop or browsing. Everything is stable during gaming.
>>
>>51777403
try changing generation of pcie, also make sure bios is updated.
with control centre you can change idle speeds to a little higher as well
>>
After reading this thread Iam glad I got a 970.
You can bitch all about 3.5 kekram but atleast the card works and is quiet!
>>
670 wouldn't stop black screening after however long, so went out and bought a 290X on release and couldn't be happier.

Sorry you're so dense OP
>>
>>51777531
Me too fellow anonymous poster. I can't believe that I ever considered buying an AMD product in the past. Now I enjoy my games they way that they're meant to be played, along with peerless reliability (<0.1% of NVIDIA cards are ever faulty) and with the best driver support in the industry.
>>
>>51777554

It is a widely-reported problem with thousands of users reporting the same issues. Doesn't have anything to do with user error.
>>
>>51776900
which vendor and batch id?
>>
>>51776900
There was faulty bios on sapphire 290, you could just flash newer version
>>
>>51777618

Tried this. Multiple different BIOS versions all suffered from the same issues on all 3 cards.

>>51777608
Sapphire. Where would one locate the batch ID?
>>
>>51776900
Your card is clearly defective, nothing AMD can do. Your issue is with the vendor being Sapphire in this case.
>>
Had a same problem with r9 290 tri-x, fixed the problem with Vapor-X bios. You could try using bios from different manufacturer https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=&manufacturer=&model=R9+290X&interface=&memType=&memSize=
>>
upgrade computer after four years. get a:
>4850
fucking amazing card. overclocked well, ran cool, used little power, and for $170 get a video card as fast as nvidia's $220+ offerings.

2011 roles around. time to upgrade.
>2x 6950's in crossfire
these puppies where beasts. the performance was insane. crossfire worked great in the games i played and offered performance of a nvidia 680 long before the 6xx series release. they overclocked well and did use more power, but the performance.

>290
and this is when i switched to nvidia. the 290 was terrible. driver issues galore, thing ran insanely hot and that was with an third party style cooler. it used an insane amount of power and put off a disgusting ozone smell.
> 780
>980 ti
saved up a bit and got a 980 ti water cooled. overclocks like a beast.

i picked up a 390 when it came out shortly after i got my 980 ti just to try and same issues i had with my 290. freakin house fires galore. and the ozone smell.
>>
>>51776900
>>51777218

This usually occurs due to the memory/core clock or voltage being too low.
>>
>>51778011

I've got a similar issue with 2D and a 290x. Happens even when it is running at stock 290x clocks (vs overclocked clocks my model came with) with a voltage boost and constant voltage forced.
>>
>>51778062

Also, mine refuses to boot about 9 out of 10 times I try to start it. Throws up a bunch of bullshit post codes that have nothing to do with anything. Then runs fine (until it blackscreens).
>>
Bump. 4chan servers are being dildos.
>>
>>51777950
Now you're just making shit up. Your card would have to produce quite a lot of electric sparks to create enough ozone for you to be able to smell it. That considered, the PSU would be a much more likely culprit of such behaviour.
>>
>>51776963
Athlon Micro is a fucking scam, and the #1 reason I tell people to avoid Sapphire. Never go with a company that doesn't even handle their own RMA's themselves

I wanted to replace a Dual-X 7950 that had a bad set of fans, and also had flaky VRM's because the card was overvolted like a motherfucker to compensate for the boost button, and I was denied an RMA because they thought the reason it happened was because I changed their god-awful thermal paste to something that actually cooled, AND I was charged for shipping both ways, since they were holding my card hostage until I paid

I eventually just did a chargeback on Newegg and washed my hands of the ordeal. I lost my account in the process, but signing-up under my dead grandma's name and a new card solved that 5-minute inconvenience
>>
>>51779075

Yeah, fuck these guys. They are wanting me to pay to ship out and back as well as a $50 service fee. Considering that the product was defective since day one, I find that really shitty.
>>
>>51779075

... and my last card, a 7950, was a Sapphire as well. It had a shitload of problems and would blackscreen all the time. Sent it in twice with major issues and they just sent it back saying that nothing was wrong. The second time that I sent it in, I put tape on the packaging to see if they actually opened it and I'm fairly certain that they didn't because it came back with the tape still attached.
>>
>>51777233
Says masterrace in a post about legit problems with their products
>>
TLDR dont buy Sapphire
>>
>>51779793
So how about Powercolor? Their 390 is 3 slots, but all the reviews pretty much put it right against Sapphire's. And it's $30 cheaper than Sapphire's.
>>
Not GPU related, but anyone had any experience with seasonic RMA?
>>
>>51780732

Powercolor used to be a joke, but they seem to have improved their reputation lately. Never bought one of their cards though.
>>
>>51782354
If you want to get into watercooling your GPU in the future Sapphire doesn't have a full cover waterblock for their 390, but Powercolor does. I'm coming from a Dual-X so I've never had one either, but the reviews and specs seem pretty good. My only reason concern is the 2.5/3 slot card will be right against my wifi card. Like within 3-4mm.
>>
>>51777218
I had this aswell but it was solved with 10mhz underclock to the memory.
>>
>>51776900
I've experienced the exact opposite. Started with 5770 and it crashed every day. Moved to 6970 and it ran smoothly but was noisy. Upgraded to 390 and it's as smooth as butter, quiet and no glitches encountered so far besides the infamous Fallout 4 compass glitch with AMD cards.
>>
>>51782562
Which 390 do you have?
>>
My 970 won't OC well, and I can't get displayport anymore, DP is a widely known issue that isnt fixed.
>>
>>51782706
Sapphire.
>>
>>51777583
>Widely-reported

No it's not...
>>
>>51776900
>upgrade from a hd 5850 to a 6870
They literally offer the same performance.
The point of the hd 6xxx series was to offer similar performance at a more reasonable price while running cooler and being more efficient. A 5870 outperforms a 6870.
>>
>>51777403
power supply?
>>
have you updated bios for your 290x, i was getting some crashes on windows 10 last couple of days after a developer insider version update, reformatted and upgraded firmware, fingers crossed ill put it under some heavy gaming tonight.
>>
>>51777403
I am running that cred since almost a year now and it just works fine.
However I got a 850w Psu for cheap maybe this might be your problem since that card has a higher wattage then the normal 290x (300w) is listed in sapphires data sheets.
>>
>>51782562
How did you made an 5770 crash ? Mine ran for 4,5 years straight and never caused any problems.
>>
It's almost like as soon as AMD took over ATi they ruined them
>>
>>51784233
>ruined them
>buying a 780, 780ti, 970, and a 980 just to stay above a 290x
>>
>>51776900
>>get 5850
>>overclocks like a son'bitch and is solid as a rock

Jesus, that brings back memories. Radeon Bios Editor RBE_128, setting voltage registers... Had mine tricked out to run 275MHz core 1200MHz RAM at idle, 800/1200 when gaming. Undervolted to 0.925V idle, 1.05V under load. (The reason for having the RAM at 1200 at all times 24/7 was because multimonitor/eyefinity mode was glitchy whenever the RAM clock changed.) Not 100% sure if I was really getting 0.925V or 0.95V - I might have just been getting whatever the lowest voltage the VRMs were capable of putting out. Which was either 0.90V or 0.95V, I never checked with a multimeter to confirm.

Luck of the draw, maybe I just won the silicon lottery, but that 5850 was a sweet card.
>>
At least you got yours to start. I've been having a day's worth of problems installing my new 390 and nixeus monitor. I keep getting this weird issue that says "cannot display this video". I'm NEVER going through this shot again, and neither should anyone else.
>>
Lol amd meme
>>
>>51777950
Bruh buy a r9 Fury

Gigabyte makes a great one.
>>
>build first computer
>gtx 470
>lifetime warranty, still working today, getting dx12
>gave it away to family member

>build second computer
>gtx 680
>overclocked to 1400mhz (780 ti performance)
>now in younger siblings rig

>build third computer
>980 ti
>1550mhz rock solid
>40% performance over fury x, $100 cheaper

AMD not even once
>>
>>51788079

b-b-but muh DX12 performance
>>
>>51788169
I'm glad I chose the 470 because the 5850 got abandoned.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.