[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We know that in history what is once fantasy becomes reality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: 17uo3yzc864o9jpg.jpg (207 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
17uo3yzc864o9jpg.jpg
207 KB, 640x360
We know that in history what is once fantasy becomes reality with time.

What do you think humanity could achieve within a million years, in terms of technology?
>>
>>51775685
Humanity isn't gone exist that long
>>
>>51775733
At least not in a form that would be recognizable as human to us.
>>
>>51775685
Once we deal with our biological limitations by technological augmentation it's going to be easy.

I think that this is possible:
*supercomputer the size of a city in space -> why? to learn how to travel in time, to learn about consciousness and a whole new branches of sciences
*superconductivity used everywhere
*using neutrinos to communicate through space
*collective brains
>>
>>51775733
I guess they'll never finishing constructing your mom's dildo then.
>>
The laws of physics don't change though.

>>51773082
Why would you use neutrinos to communicate?
>>
>51775830
>time travel
>neutrinos to communicate
>being this ignorant
>>
>>51775830
>using neutrinos to communicate through space
Just use some quantumly entangeled particles nigger.
>>
>>51775685
Humanity is not going to make it out the cyberpunk megacorp dystopia that's setting in as we speak.
The companies will use their power to take the dwindling rare earths and other materials and sit on them until some extinction event wipes us out.
>>
>>51775958
Quantum entanglement cannot be used for communicatio FTL.
>>
>>51776028
>Implying neutrinos can
Just forget about it. Humans have traditionally lived far out of communication range of each other--even unaware of the actual extent of their spread. Do we need to be in communication with eveyone all the time? Just get out.
>>
We'll be living under sharia law by that point.
>>
>>51776090
This, we have loose ends to tie up before we consider advancing.
>>
>>51775813

>At least not in a form that would be recognizable as human to us

If you haven't, you should probably read the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons. Pretty sure I'm thinking of the right book.
>>
>>51775994
>The companies will use their power to take the dwindling rare earths and other materials and sit on them until some extinction event wipes us out.

That's ridiculous. "Rare earths" are extremely plentiful.

We're entering a somewhat rough patch. On the one hand, tons of human labor will probably become relatively worthless. The problem, in my opinion, is compounded by our focus on living in particular areas, yet not building them up[1], leading to extremely high cost of living. If it weren't for housing costs, it would be a pretty damn great time to be "poor". It really is amazing how much of our energy is devoted to working to pay for a place to live and a car to drive to work so that we can pay for a place to live and...

Times feel uncertain (even though we actually have it better than any time in history), so people are attracted to authoritarianism. If we can make it through these years, humanity will be in a fantastic place within another 100 - 200 years.
>>
>>51776168

Shit, forgot my footnote again:

[1] there is no Manhattan on the West Coast. Silicon Valley should be full of tremendous skyscrapers where people live and work in close proximity. Throughout human history, these dense environments lead to explosive growth in culture and technology. We've been so obsessed with living life like it's the 1950s (i.e. my nice tract of land in a suburb with a one hour drive to work) that we're handicapping ourselves.
>>
>>51776028
>Quantum entanglement cannot be used for communicatio FTL

Didn't they do this over a distance of a hundred miles like, two weeks ago?
>>
>>51775685
the Final Fantasy
>>
Waifus will be real in a million years, trust me on this.
>>
>>51776195
fuck the idea of compact living
in 200 years I will live in my own spaceship with no one near me
>>
>>51775830
>collective brains
Perhaps not as cool as one might think.

Research suggests that when multiple brains are connected, one consciousness absorbs the rest.

It wouldn't be borg-esque 10,000,000 voices that all talk to each other and share information, it would be the really big brain of the first person.
>>
>>51776231

This concept always reminds me of the dog-stabbing time establishment system back in the days of sailing.

Damn, I can't turn it up now. They have a funny display about it at the Greenwich Museum. One of the major problems with navigation back in the day was knowing exactly what time it was. You needed to know this to correlate the stars with your physical location.

Since clocks weren't very accurate yet, somebody had a brilliant idea where they did something like stabbing a dog that had been sprinkled with a special powder. They would take the dog on the voyage and every day at, say, noon, they would stab some proxy thing (like a voodoo doll) and the dog on the ship was supposed to yelp.
>>
>>51776294

Fuck the idea of endless duplicate living.

I stayed with a girlfriend in her Tokyo apartment for several months. It was *glorious*. Spacious enough for someone who doesn't have a bunch of space-intensive hobbies. Quiet as a mouse thanks to super-strong concrete construction and clever use of doors (e.g. a door to the hallway, then a door to the front shoe-removing area, then a doorway to the main studio room).

Living in almost any American apartment is sheer torture by comparison. I visited friends at one modern concrete building in San Francisco and that was nice. Every single other multi-unit dwelling I've been in in the US has been horrible. We're too obsessed with wood construction.

Besides, have you seen modern homes? They're building them with less than six feet between homes, because people don't want big yards anymore. Well, what the fuck, just put me in a nicely designed condo in a concrete high-rise so I can walk to work, the gym, and a bar.
>>
>>51776231
signal transfer is easy, but trasmitting coherent information is difficult because once we observe the superposition of a particle, it collapses to one of two states and we cant control which state the other person sees. its completely random
>>
>>51775830
>neutrinos to communicate
neutrinos dont do jack shit to anything. we need detecters the size of fucking buildings to detect single neutrinos, how the fuck would we communicate with them
>>
>>51776414
kek
that's like the 2008 BlackBerry - iPhone viewpoint
>>
>>51775685

Issac Asimov - "The Last Question"
http://multivax.com/last_question.html
>>
>>51775685
Read "Diaspora" by Greg Egan and you will know
>>
1 millions years of Tech.

we all live in a death star type thing in space, or many death star like space stations, we go around collecting dirt from other planets and can turn dirt into food. we can literally turn any element into another with ease.

population? 50 trillion. Lets say one trillion per space station. or something, going to be fusion powered and we move away from violence. poverty eliminated.
>>
>Implying muslims won't kill off humanity by then
>>
>>51776414
We need detectors the size of buildings(located deep underwater or underground) because neutrinos very rarely interact with matter.

Because they rarely interact with matter they don't make a very strong signal. To differentiate this signal out you need to shield your detector from cosmic rays and have a huge detector.

Neutrinos have been investigated for submarine communication and found to be rather impractical:
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~hauser/neutrino_communication_paper/siljah_mod.htm

http://arxiv.org/abs/0909.4554
>>
In less then a 10,000 years we will either be extinct in some kind of catastrophic event like a nuclear war or an asteroid or climate change. Or we will be part of a huge botnet with our brains in jars. Beyond that we'll become some kind of machine. There will be no need for emotions, religions, sex and procreation. Our priority will be exploration of the universe for other lifeforms and knowledge.
>>
I'll be entirely digital in the Google legacy mainframe and sometimes go for a walk in a biological body for the sake of old times.
>>
>>51775685
>We know that in history what is once fantasy becomes reality with nearly free and finite fossil energy.
>>
>>51777777
>>
Humanity's last invention will be artificial super intelligence and with the current pace of development it's probably going to be here before 2100. After that we're pretty much fucked as we've developed something more intelligent than us.
>>
>>51776311
The most unintentionally /x/ thing I've ever read on/g/
>>
>>51775813
And that form would be of ashes.

Mankind has only been around for maybe 200k years, within the last 100 have been two worldwide wars.

A million years is plenty of time for us to eradicate ourselves.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.