[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /g/, what's the best Linux distro to USB Dual-Boot with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: 115682-new mint bright green.png (134 KB, 389x390) Image search: [Google]
115682-new mint bright green.png
134 KB, 389x390
Sup /g/, what's the best Linux distro to USB Dual-Boot with Win10? I'm new to Linux so stay simple friends.
>>
>>51774396
>new to Linux
Ubuntu
b
u
n
t
u
>>
>>51774403
IT JUST WERKS
>>
>>51774403
I've used Ubuntu before and I kinda want to try something different. How is Mint? Or ElementaryOS?
>>
To be COMPLETELY honest dude. Install Arch Linux. Look up a simple guide based on your bios/uefi setup. Install arch, install xorg and xorg-xinit and other dependencies then install a window manager like i3 or openbox. All very easily install. You have to change a line or two in a config file, then start up your windows server and install a few programs. It's all very well documented, bug free and super comfy.

I understand of you want it all preset up though. I switched to Linux 4 days ago and I'm having a blast tbhfam
>>
>>51774396
I love Mint personally. I've been using it for several months now. I prefer it over Ubuntu, but they're pretty similar to one another.
>>
>>51774640
What a fucking waste of a time. Install Antergos OP
>>
Gentoo
>>
Dual boot is retarded in 2015
Even shit rugs can efficiently virtualize now
>>
>>51774429
If you just want a different look for Ubuntu, you can login using the GNOME Flashback DE as opposed to using unity, or you can install a different DE, or try using just a WM by itself.

Of course, you could also achieve this by using a different flavor such as Xbuntu
>>
>>51774773
Lmao enjoy your Arch for retards.
Use Architect so people don't know you are a pleb that can't install Arch
>>
>>51774815
>implying arch is hard to install
Fucking kek do LFS faggot.
>>
>>51774773
>Wants to install Linux for recreational purposes
>Suggest a distribution that will put him into a native Linux environment and force him to learn how basic package handling and configuration is done.
>This concept is retarded

I think you're retarded, buddy.
>>
>>51774640
>>51774815
>>
>>51774850
install gentoo
>>
>>51774881
no, install arch
with arch u will learn only what you relay need
with gentoo u will learn a lot of unnecessary shit
>>
>>51774864
>>51774396
This is not my mantra, OP. My first post explicitly said to not do this if you're not looking for this type of experience. I'm by no means a power user but I have been into technology since before I went I went to grade school and started programming over 10 years ago. My first experiences were with Ubuntu and fedora and the insane amount of packages they include plus all of the possible hardware incompatibilities was a head ache.

I took the dive 3 days ago and installed arch to a USB and installed it using a step by step guide. Now I'm running a super light weight, functional, fast gui and aesthetic system. It's not hard if you want to learn it. I took notes and wrote down processes and key commands to help remember everything I did.

Again, don't do it if you're not super techy and you're just looking for an all in one experience. But keep in mind an OS that babies you won't let you learn. That's why the majority of Windows users don't understand how computers work.
>>
>>51774965
kek
>>
>>51774396
cinnamon, but cinnamon crashes. I was told lxde mint, but lxde mint from the ISO doesn't come with wifi packages, and installing + configuring lxde to work with pulseaudio is a huge pain

I suggest Lubuntu over the other buntu's and mint
>>
>>51774971
>>
>>51774396
If it's a desktop use Xubuntu
>>
Elementary OS.
It's easy as hell to use, and is visually appealing, looks very nice indeed. I recommend I use it on an old laptop for messing around. It also has no issues.
Tbh though. Linux is kinda point less unless if you have server needs or have very old PC, windows might be a botnet but at least we are all familiar with it, and is better with mostly everything, like Gaymen, and different type of apps.
>>
>>51774396
I would try Linux Mint, its simple. But ElementaryOS is beautiful, fast. It is your choice OP and don't try Arch Linux.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.