[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm absolutely sick of using Windows 10. I want to move
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 4
File: 1422534930227.png (68 KB, 1000x400) Image search: [Google]
1422534930227.png
68 KB, 1000x400
I'm absolutely sick of using Windows 10.
I want to move to Linux but I'm stuck on deciding which distro. I tried installing Debian but it took ages to install and ran real slow afterwards. Linux Mint apparently runs outdated packages. So I'm basically down to Fedora or Ubuntu (Definitely not with unity)
>>
When I used Ubuntu, there were bugs everywhere.

Then I switched to Fedora. And there were still bugs.

So then I bought a Mac, and installed Ubuntu on it, and there are no more bugs.
>>
>>51767673
>So then I bought a Mac, and installed Ubuntu on it, and there are no more bugs.
wat
>>
"outdated packages" is a meme.

If you can't list the exact reasons why you need a newer package, you don't need it. It's really only relevant if you're a meme web developer or something using a language invented yesterday.

Direct correlation between "bleeding edge packages" and "my x broke on update LINUX SUCKS"
>>
>>51767690
Everyone supports Mac hardware like child's play.

>still shit and overpriced though
>>
>>51767673
>Fedora
>bugs
the only bug is the user experience
Setting up Fedora to run on an Optimus enabled laptop with Secure Boot is a nightmare for anyone who couldn't install Gentoo from stage one
>>
File: 1447900160499.jpg (7 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1447900160499.jpg
7 KB, 200x200
>>51767663
>Debian
>ran real slow afterwards
>>
Fedora runs pretty good with gnome 3. I use it everyday.
>>
Install Arch.
>>
>>51767663
get arch linux
>>
>>51767713
I thought Fedora was supposed to have one of the best installers out there
>>
Get opensuse
>>
install gentoo

Seriously for starters, go with Linux mint
>>
>>51767663
Ubuntu. If you want adivce go somewhere else. Don't listen to these fags.
>>
>>51768329
It has no support for Optimus.
To install Optimus, you need to install bumblebee with the proprietary NVidia drivers.

To install the proprietary NVidia drivers, you have to recompile the kernel with the shim and key given to you by the NVidia driver installer.

Really, it's quite simple to install Fedora on an Optimus-enabled laptop with Secure Boot, but finding the sequence of instructions can take you hours.

If you fuck up, you'll also have to log into the terminal in text-only mode as root and unfuck whatever you fucked up, which is an extremely manual process.
>>
I run Fedora 23 and have been using Fedora since 18.

It's an excellent OS. Ubuntu is casual Linux. It's good for if you've never used Linux ever and want something easy to use.
>>
>>51767663
Oh boy, you're in for a bad time kek.
>>
Fuduntu was designed to be a compromise between the two but was abandoned years ago; I never got the chance to try it.

If you're just getting into Linux, I recommend Ubuntu with Cinnamon desktop environment; Ubuntu is made for Linux newbies and Cinnamon is the coziest DE around. Guaranteed to give you a nice first impression.

Once you get the hang of Linux and start getting more advanced, try Arch. I've been on Fedora for years and I'm looking into Arch now to see what else is out there.
>>
>>51767673
Name one. Ubuntu and mint are the most used Linux distros.
>>
>>51768677
>Mint
lmao
>>
>>51768684
It is.
>>
>>51768694
No it isn't
>>
>>51768698
U wot.
>>
>>51767663
you fell for the Operating System As A Service meme

NEVER fall for the Operating System As A Service meme
>>
OP Debian is one of the best distros. Anyone who says negative things about it without having an intelligent reason as to why will be disregarded.
>>
>>51767713

Confirmed, run Linux on a Optimus system is a nightmare.
>>
Install Antergos, it's Arch without autism.
>>
>>51768698
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity
>>
>>51768772
It's literally Arch + a buggy installer
>>
I'd say fedora.
I'm using it on my laptop and it's pretty good.
>>
Kubuntu and disable animations to make it faster
>>
>>51767663
Xubuntu

Why is this still a question?
>>
>>51767663
if you want the latest stuff, go for a rolling distribution. some might say 'arch' or 'gentoo', but there are alternatives with easy installation. i'd go for antergos (arch for lazy people)
>>
>>51768760
Debian is not newbie friendly, OP probably hasn't been familiar with Linux to keep up with Debian.
>>
>>51768772
Just use the Architect installer, it's a no-hassle way of installing Arch!
>>
Let op in de klas fagget :^)
>>
>>51767663
hackintosh if your PC is compatible, otherwise get a mac
>>
>>51769140
Go away mark.
>>
>>51767663
>I tried installing Debian but it took ages to install and ran real slow afterwards

You are doing something wrong, me thinks.

Debian is super straightforward to install then works very well afterwards.
>>
>>51769256
S H I L L
H
I
L
L
>>
>>51767698
>LLVM
>Meme
Some people here are actually doing productive shit anon
>>
>>51769282
it is literally the best option

it'd be expensive, having to buy a new computer, but OP will never ever look back
>>
>>51767663
If Linux ran slower than Windows you're doing something wrong. I use Win and Linux, not gonna hate on Win, but Linux is faster on everything I've used.
>>
>>51767698
I've never had a problem with arch at work. You're just one of these university retards that think all they need is being spoonfed and not learning new things on their own.
>>
>>51769326
Dude what the fuck?
>>
>>51769326
Seriously man, what the hell.

Learning on your own, it's ok, I did have Arch installed on my home pc.

On my work pc? Fuck no.
>>
>>51769326
'sorry boss, I can't do shit today because my X broke again...'
'OK Johnson, we'll have Larry do it because his Mac is Just Working (tm). That reminds me, annual review is coming up. Would you mind stepping in to my office?'
>>
Just install Arch and you'll be in love
>>
Fedora.
>Don't have to install a new DE, comes with gnome pre-installed
>Software is newer with Fedora
>Backed by Redhat
>Installer is a dream

Hell, I'd install it if I didn't spend years ricing Arch.
>>
>>51767663
KDE manjaro, it has superior packagfe manager
>>
>>51769434
X doesn't break on an upgrade with Arch if you're atleast slightly experienced. The only issue I've had is installing too many extensions for Gnome and having to start it in safe mode to remove them.
>>
>>51769469
Should prolly start a new thread but too bored to do so.

Trying to install Fedora 23 has been a fucking nightmare, it literally detects 0 free space when there is 1TB of UNALLOCATED space.

WTF?
>>
>>51769514
Create new partitions.
>>
>>51769511
Oh yeah I remember the time I had to do that on my mac... oh wait

Seriously, at work just use something stable. I run a Debian Stable desktop, and a Mac for mobile work. I work in devops, at a sickeningly trendy web dev company though.
>>
>>51769545
So make the drive into 500GB/500GB of unallocated space?
>>
>>51769662
like 40GB root, 4GB swap and the rest /home
>>
>>51769628
I wouldn't mess around with that stuff at work. It could happen on any system, too.

I get where you're coming from though. I'd rather use something stable at work.
>>
>>51769514
seems like you're just unfamiliar with the installation process, for beginners is better to make a dedicated partition while on windows before installing, unless you want to erase all your HDD
>>
>>51769140
Yeah Mark go away, hoer dat je bent
>>
Antergos with MATE, just arch with a easy installer
>>
File: 1435140907146.png (768 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1435140907146.png
768 KB, 1920x1200
>>51767663
Do it for her anon~~
>>
>>51769257
>>51769815
I'm not mark dipshits and pay attention to the professor
>>
>>51769804
The HDD is empty, i just made the whole disk into unallocated space. Doesn't seem to work tho.
>>
File: Botnet-tan.jpg (69 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
Botnet-tan.jpg
69 KB, 640x426
she is waiting for you anons. don't disappoint her.

install botnets 10 today. its like having a waifu micromanage your lifestyle and steal your information.
>>
>>51768760
I've been using Debian for three years. It's shit compared to a stable Arch installation because of the non-existent wiki.

At least it benefits from the AskUbuntu pages I guess.
>>
>>51769068
This. And the only way you can break X is by installing an unstable kernel or installing proprietary graphic card drivers. I don't see any reason why anyone would do that. Until Vulkan gets more widespread, forget about gaming on Linux. Installing an unstable kernel is just asking for trouble. I've been using Antergos (which is basically Arch with an extra repo) for quite some time now and nothing breaks out of the blue.
>>
some people just like to be guinea pigs for Red Hat
>>
>>51767663
Ubuntu is literally a BOTNET.
>>
ubantoo

it just werks
>>
>>51770819
Maybe we just like good packaging practices, a more usable package manager, nice aesthetics, better default configuration, and a company that doesn't have an absurd case of NIH-syndrome
>>
If it's your first time just use Ubuntu. It has the most community support and you'll be googling problems a lot. You can install whatever DE you want.
>>
>>51771992
This to be honest. Fedora 23 is the very first distro I haven't felt the urge to rice or go deep down on configuration menus and files because something is not working (or looks like fucking ass) out of the box.
>>
>>51772277
>being a gnome3-kek
>>
>>51772028
This needs to be stickied.
>>
>>51767663

openSUSE Leap

It just works.
>>
>>51772961
>openSUSE
Why would anyone want to use that bloated piece of garbage?
>>
>>51772994

Because it' not bloated, you dumb gentoofag.
>>
>>51773066
>gentoo
I'm pretty autistic, but not THAT autistic.
I use Fedora 23 with KDE.
And yes openSUSE is a lot less bloated than it used to be, but its still pretty bloated when compared to other major distros.
>>
Linux mint is best nowadays. Or Kubuntu.
>>
>>51773254

It's not bloated. You can download netinstall and just add packages that you need. Can you do that with Ferturda? I don't think so. And Ferdurta has laughable support time and youneed to reinstall every time, since the update is always broken.
>>
elementaryOS !!!!!!
>>
>>51773301
I've been using Fedora since Fedora 16 and the only time that I needed to do a complete reinstall was when I was upgrading from 21 to 22, and even then it was just because I did the update when 22 was still in rawhide. And the Fedora installer lets you pick what packages you want to install. So unlike installing from netinstall where I need to manually install everything I need, I just need to install my extra shit (which I would have to do regardless of the distro)
>>
>>51767663
>debian
>slow after install
what am i reading?
>>
>>51772310
>Letting yourself get keked out of a usable desktop by NEETs who don't know anything about software except the words "bloat," "M$," "Macfag," "n00buntu," "UNIX," and "philosophy"

don't fall for the memes
>>
http://moebuntu.web.fc2.com/index.html
>>
>>51768818
Kubuntu is still one of the most garbage KDE distros around. I'd recommend Netrunner for KDE.
>>
>>51773630
Slackware is the best KDE distro.
>>
>>51773659
>Doesn't resolve it's own dependencies
>>
>>51773630
>>51773659
>What is OpenSuse?
>>
>>51773762
All the dependencies are resolved by default.
>>
>>51773948
By what
>>
>>51773976
you install it and all the dependencies are already resolved
>>
>>51769326
what the fuck do you work as where arch is an acceptable OS?
>>
Ubuntu Mate if you're on a laptop
Xubuntu if you're on a desktop
Fedora if you use Linux at work
>>
>>51773254
>complaining about bloat
>using KDE
>>
Just a heads up you'll probably have to add a third party repo like Packman with Fedora if you're not entirely into the free software thing. It's not too big of a deal but it can be a hassle if you don't know that beforehand.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.