[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Partitions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3
File: partitions.png (513 KB, 1540x866) Image search: [Google]
partitions.png
513 KB, 1540x866
This has been such a headache.

I did a clean install of Win 10 on this new laptop I got, and quickly discovered that there were 6 partitions on it.

-The main partition
-A recovery partition
-3 empty partitions of unknown purpose
-The pictured EFI System Partition

Using DISKPART, I was able to delete 4 of the 5 unwanted partitions. However, this EFI System Partition is resisting my efforts to get rid of it.

Should I get rid of this EFI System Partition? I looked inside of it, and it seems to be a recovery image from the manufacturer. It has all of HP's bloatware on it, so as far as I can tell, I don't want it or need it.

If this interpretation is accurate, how can I get rid of it? The "delete partition override" command doesn't work.

Second, how can I get my C: drive to absorb all of that unallocated space?

Thanks!
>>
>Should I get rid of this EFI System Partition?
jesus christ kid put down mmc before you hurt somebody
>>
Note: When I try to delete the EFI partition, I get the following message - Virtual Disk Service error: Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump, or hibernation volume.
>>
>>51766374
Is that a no? What's mmc?

If I ought not get rid of it, how can I, at least, get that unallocated space to the left of it onto my C: drive?
>>
>>51766387
>i deleted my recovery partition
sempai you're the reason recovery partitions exist
>>
>>51766339
just google EFI system partition to see what it does you fucking moron.
>>
>>51766387
>Is that a no?
It is. That partition is involved in booting and thus kinda essential.

>If I ought not get rid of it, how can I, at least, get that unallocated space to the left of it onto my C: drive?
It can be done but it takes quite a bit of work and a fuckload of time, and all it gains you are some teeny tiny megabytes. I wouldn't bother.
>>
>>51766387
>posts a picture of mmc
>whats mmc
go home your drunk
>>
>>51766412
>It can be done
How? I've tried EaseUS and the built in Disk Management software. Can you point me in the right direction?
>>
>>51766425
you're missing the point you fucking nignog. you delete and you basically brick your fucking laptop. read what he said. Jesus Christ
>>
>>51766424
>Posts TLAs without a clear connection to what is being discussed
>Expects others to have an innate understanding of them

>>51766435
I'm asking how I can move the 651MB of unallocated space onto my C: drive, not how to delete the EFI partition
>>
>>51766425
You need software that can resize and move partitions, which generally needs to boot from a flashdisk or something. I haven't done it for windows in (probably) over a decade. I think http://gparted.org/livecd.php should do the job, but no guarantees.

Note: you're playing with power tools here. You can very easily wipe or otherwise break everything on your disk. Think twice and three times before pressing that apply button.
>>
>>51766425
>Can you point me in the right direction?
reinstall windows 10 and don't delete things you shouldn't this time
>>
>>51766451
>deleting partitions
>doesn't know the name of the software he's using to delete partitions
THIS IS PROBLEMATIC
>>
>>51766473
>doesn't just post "mmc stands for microsoft management console"
>opts to waste both his and my time instead

lol
>>
>>51766339
Use EaseUs Partition Master to combine those unallocated partitions with your main partition. Windows partition tool doesn't let you extend partition that aren't next to each other. Also leave your EFI partition alone.
>>
>>51766529
Okay. Thanks for the advice! I actually tried EaseUS and was unable to move the unallocated space. The only thing I was able to move was my C: drive, and I was only able to move it to the left of the 128MB unallocated block pictured in the OP. That's a start, but I'm after that 651MB.

It wouldn't let me move the EFI partition at all.

Any advice?
>>
>>51766457
Actually in the process of doing this as we speak
>>
>>51766508
sorry didn't mean to offend you :(

you should really just re-clean install windows 10 and not delete the recovery partitions. when windows gets fucked you can just "dism /online /restore-health" and it'll unfuck itself. they are there for a reason, like the efi system partition you're trying to delete. i'm kind of curious why you're deleting all these random bits of your hard drive without knowing what they do. it seems like kind of a bad idea.
>>
>>51766569
because muh hard drive space

maybe not a great idea. my desktop doesn't have a recovery partition and i've been using it for about two years, and have had no need for such a partition.

I just figured if anything went wrong I could just recover windows from a USB. It's not like my new laptop is, or is soon to be, rife with important personal files.
>>
>>51766553
I don't know, I thought there you could extend a partition into unallocated space anywhere on that drive with that tool. Don't know what to say. :(
>>
>>51766605
if the desktop's windows 7, yeah recovery partitions are windows 8+ new shit (that's just random ideas from smartphones jammed into windows) - it's a baseline OS image + patches that you can reset to if things go sideways

but yeah it's not entirely necessary if you can just run windows installer on another PC and feed it a usb key if your windows gets that fucked
>>
>delete hidden OS partitions because retarded
>two months later
>install OS update
>OS update fails because it tries to update something on deleted hidden OS partition
>computer is now fucked up
>try to recover from recovery partition
>deleted it
>>
>>51766553
>Any advice?
You need to first move the EFI partition all the way to the left. Afterwards you can extend the C: partition into the complete empty space.
>>
>>51766668
so you're saying I shouldn't delete the "hidden" partitions either?

Okay. Let's look at this from a new angle.

I'm currently performing a clean install of Win 10 on a new laptop with the intent of getting rid of bloatware.

I have a desktop and the know-how to use a USB drive to recover Win 10 in the future, should shit hit the fan. What partitions should I remove? What partitions, if any, should I remove? What is absolutely necessary?

Do I have a legitimate need for a recovery partition? My own experience and >>51766667
make me think that I do not.

Having just performed a clean install of Win 10 is there anything else I ought to do that I haven't touched on here?
>>
seriously why are people hustling for less than a gig of space?
>>
>>51766721
you don't "need" them but windows is going to fail in all sorts of fun and unexpected ways if you really need to fill that 500mb with chinese cartoons
>>
>>51766721
The EFI partition isn't optional, and you can't move it. The recovery partition costs you what, like 10 cents worth of SSD space? Even if you don't need the recovery partition, the OS expects you to have it. You're just setting yourself up for future suffering by not controlling your irrational impulses.
>>
>>51766717
I wasn't able to do that using EaseUS.

Also, general question. The EFI partition is specifically related to the manufacturer of the computer, correct?
>>
>>51766763
Okay. That's good to know.

From my perspective, it was just 15g of space that was being consumed by something I didn't want or need. Hence my compulsion to delete it.
>>
>>51766801
>I wasn't able to do that using EaseUS.
Then use a less broken partition manager, like the gparted liveCD I mentioned.

>Also, general question. The EFI partition is specifically related to the manufacturer of the computer, correct?
No. It's created by the windows installer as part of the boot loader.
>>
>>51766801
hypothetically there can be EFI drivers for things there but literally nobody actually uses that so no it's just got your bootloaders for your operating systems and it's usually like 99% empty but it's only 100MB
>>
>>51766850
>use gparted
I'll give that a shot.

>>51766860
Perhaps that's why there's an HP folder in there, then.
>>
>mandatory EFI partition

Why is this garbage necessary. I found this garbage on my new laptop myself, and you're telling me I can't put a fresh harddrive into it without bricking UEFI? You might as well go buy fucking Apple if you think this is acceptable.
>>
>>51766721
>>I'm currently performing a clean install of Win 10 on a new laptop with the intent of getting rid of bloatware.

Clean install, eh?
Boot the machine from your Windows 10 installation media.
Press Shift-F10.
Type "diskpart".
Type "clean".
Type "exit" twice.
Install Windows normally.
Enjoy using all of your hard drive.

You'll still have two partitions, but you need both of them to boot the damn thing.
>>
>>51766946
Ugh, after "diskpart" you need to type "select disk 0".

Also, this method works all the way back to Vista.
>>
>>51766921
>Why is this garbage necessary.
because it's 2015 and we needed a sane way of passing the CPU an OS bootloader bigger than 1k?
>you're telling me I can't put a fresh harddrive into it without bricking UEFI?
no because the OS installer is going to make one on the blank hard drive
>>
So, new concern, /g/.

Did that clean install of Win 10 and it didn't make a new recovery partition. A lot of people in this thread made it out like not having one was going to be a big problem down the road.

Do I need to somehow make a new one?

What do?
>>
>>51766721
You should not have deleted those partitions. You should not try to resize those partitions. If you really need more hard drive space go buy another hard drive and get someone who actually understands computers to install it for you
>>
>>51766966
So is this even necessary using another/older OS or does UEFI just mean I'm fucked?
>>
>>51767025
>>A lot of people in this thread made it out like not having one was going to be a big problem down the road.
They were making fun of you sounding like a noob. Without a recovery partition, a noob would have been screwed.

>>Do I need to somehow make a new one?
The recovery partition was a custom setup of Windows that brought it back to the factory-installed version of Windows (with all the bloat). You did good by getting rid of it.
>>
>>51767025
You're fine if you've left everything created by the Windows installer intact.

>>51767061
Yes, you need an EFI partition for all OSes.
>>
>>51767072
What I'm asking is if the partitions that come with a windows 10 laptop, including the EFI system and recovery partitions, are at all necessary when I'm not even going to be using windows 10?
>>
>>51767121
Whatever OS you're going to use will create all the necessary partitions it needs to function. If it needs a UEFI partition, it will make one.
>>
>>51766946
I'm so happy. Thank you.

:) Me right now
>>
>>51767121
To directly answer your question, no. All those partitions are specifically for Windows 10.

>>51767151
You're welcome. Now pay me or something.

Actually, post a screenshot of diskmgmt.msc. I want to see what a fresh install of Win10 on a UEFI system creates in terms of partitions.
>>
>>51767142
>>51767176
Thank you anons.
>>
File: all me.png (11 KB, 186x196) Image search: [Google]
all me.png
11 KB, 186x196
>>51767205
It's all just me.

Where's my screenshot?
>>
>>51767176
i'll post it. after i finish reinstalling
>>
File: diskmgmt.png (722 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
diskmgmt.png
722 KB, 1920x1080
>>51767236
>>
>>51767236
I'm weeping I'm so happy
>>
>>51767289
3 partitions? What the hell?

Firing up my Win10 BIOS installed copy now to look at it. Be back in 10 minutes (fuck Win10).
>>
>>51767307
Why are you so happy? You went from a C: drive that was 237.46GB to one with 237.92GB. You saved 471MB. Whoopie...
>>
>>51767359
On a BIOS machine I have a 500MB System Reserved parition, and then the rest of it as C:

Also, fuck Win10 again. I forgot my install is so broken I can't login. Nor shutdown properly. Hahaha.
>>
>>51767395
Because I was presented with an elegant solution to a problem that had been confounding me. It's small, I know, but extremely gratifying.
>>
>>51767395
He's happy coz hes a newbie who didnt totally fuck up
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.