[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How likely is it for a self-taught programmer to eke out a decent
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
How likely is it for a self-taught programmer to eke out a decent career for himself?
>>
If you are good at it, you don't have student loans to pay off.. so pretty good in that case anon.
>>
>>51765169
Very slim chance.
Better off sucking a hobo's dick.
>>
It's 4 am atm in leiden. Chance?
>>
>>51765169
You're not going to get any interviews without that diploma, neet.
>>
>>51765287
there's always nepotism
>>
>>51765304
Yeah there's always that. But you need to know people.
NEETs aren't the most social people.
>>
>>51765287
Definitely not true. Diploma means almost nothing these days without proof that you actually spent all waking hours working on various projects and can prove your worth. Much easier to accomplish when you aren't trying to maintain a GPA.
>>
>>51765212
>tfw i live there too
>>
>>51765319
Well, you don't need to know many people, just the right people.
But you got a point, it's more difficult for the less social people.
>>
>>51765356

Now connections are worth more than a degree.
>>
>>51765287
You can present completed projects and a portfolio instead of a diploma. Or just lie, they hardly ever check anyway, especially if they're a small firm.
>>
>>51765169
ayy lmao
>>
>>51765323
Prove you aren't a delusional neet.
Are you employed?
>>
>>51765408
Should I be applying for jobs with a github portfolio that only has codeeval solutions in it?
>>
>>51765323
>>51765388
>>51765408
This is very accurate, hell, I got my job exactly like that, showing what stuff I know and have done until that point, they never, never asked me about any kind of studies I had.

Then again, most people that work here know how this works, if you are getting a job in a normie company they will ask you about diplomas and shit because they don't know what the fuck their company needs in first place.
>>
>>51765169
I was never that good at programming in college classes the few rare times I could even get that hands on with it nor ever really had ideas for things I could even do for projects. I also saw that that most people in my classes were just going to end up being helpless code monkeys. But in a strange way at 29 I feel like I missed out and should have learned it and now it's too late even if I went back to it.
>>
>>51765436
I write code, but I'm not a coder. I design hardware. I would hire someone to write code if they can prove their worth when a position opens. I don't give a shit about diploma. I've hired CS people with 4-year degrees in the past and had nothing but extreme regret. If you don't have evidence that you eat, sleep, and dream code, then I wouldn't hire you.
>>
>>51765513
prove you're an employer
anyone could claim the same
>>
What kind of projects should I have on my github in order to look good when looking for jobs without a diploma? I'm asking because I have no idea what kind of projects are done in formal education.

How large? How practical? Should I remove strange stuff (I have some weird shit there like bots for spamming newspapers sites and 4chan image scraper)?
>>
>>51765522
>>51765436
why do unemployed ITT tech "students" like you think you know how the world works?
>>
>>51765544
Depends on the job anon. I would look for someone who does embedded coding. If you want a job like that, buy yourself a $14 stm32f4 dev board, or Pi, or something similar and see what you can make it do.
>>
This seems like a pretty common question around here. From my experience you can get a career in web/software development, but you may have to start with more junior or entry-level pay. I've been working at a place since the beginning of the year for around 47k (Texas), but I just had an interview earlier that I believe went okay, so I'd be getting 65k at the other place.

Long story short, spend a hell of a lot of time studying and putting shit on github. You can do it.
>>
>>51765642
>Long story short, spend a hell of a lot of time studying and putting shit on github. You can do it.

This
>>
As someone that about halfway through decided on a computer engineering degree over a computer science degree and is finding more prospects doing both coding and IT field work I would say that, to answer your question, it is as likely as you making a program that exemplifies the breadth of the paradigm on your own. Not impossibly difficult but it requires a proper intellect and isn't without its fumbles. If you want a job and want that interview, you need to have that proof of concept, so to speak. Getting that developer gig might be as likely as getting that degree over night. Probably not going to happen unless you've since put in a ton of time learning the material needed from the ground up.
>>
>>51765616
Cool idea. I've always thought messing with one of those would be a fun hobby.

>>51765642
I'd even prefer to be on the lowest position for a developer in a company and learn about how things are done. Lacking experience of working in teams makes it look a little scary.
>>
>>51765544
Make an OS.
Make a compiler.
Make a personnel website.

Do all these and you're golden. List your resume on your website and post your OS and compiler on it.
>>
>>51765773
What about us non programmers with IT degrees do we have any hope ?
>>
>>51765828
I'm not the authority on the matter but you definitely have much more prospects for employment than your average person. There's currently a spree of IT gigs hiring, right now. I'm applying to like 5 of them as we speak.
>>
>>51765929
Well it's been quite a few years and lot of what I ever may have learned in college I probably forgot. I hated that college wasn't more hands on I would have actually felt more confident
Not to mention my lack of real work experience. But good to know there's a bit of hope here. Hate being a neet.
>>
>Me homless vet, divorce, don't have shit
>Visit library instead of holding up cardboard
>Start learning to dev, python, javascript, go
>Making websites, learning linux admin, sql, nosql
>Nice portfolio, published apps
>Freelance a bit
>Hired as dev...zero issues..
The degree is a reflection of knowledge much like a mechanic can get a degree, but he can also just build a fucking car which disregards and doubts of his knowledge.
>>
>>51766232
any*, not and
Clearing up any confusion
>>
>>51765642
how the do i start? Im taking C++ at uni, and I just want to leave this shit behind and find a coding job somewhere. What languages did you learn that got you your first job? what type of position?
>>
>>51766232
I literally evolved myself from being a single cell organism and became a sysadmin. It's not hard, you just gotta be willing to work really hard for it desu senpai
>>
>>51765616

Are there any OSX development tools for the stm32f4 ?

I have one
>>
>>51765169

Been trying to get interviews for over a year now with a decent github/portfolio and some volunteer/team experience I had working on a large game project with some others. Haven't gotten a single call back.

I'm not sure why exactly people are saying there's a shortage of skilled programmers - it's obvious that companies have so many applicants that they're resorting to hiring through nepotism and H1Bs and not actually seeking qualified candidates.
>>
File: 1449545282352.gif (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1449545282352.gif
6 KB, 200x200
>>51765169
As long as you have Codecademy certificates or similar, you will be able to get a job anywhere.
>>
>>51765445
Nope. Fork something. Start a project. Ignite some passion into your life.
>>
>>51765562
why do NEETs in denial live to promote a counter culture that only aims to justify their wasted life?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.