[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Linux?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: đentoo.jpg (43 KB, 640x358) Image search: [Google]
đentoo.jpg
43 KB, 640x358
How would /g/ describe Linux?
>>
S
>>
File: 1448812054529.jpg (383 KB, 1154x883) Image search: [Google]
1448812054529.jpg
383 KB, 1154x883
>>
Virgin neckbeard weebu operating system
>>
>>51759741
As gnu/linux
>>
>>51759780
>if you want to get lost, firstly, use Windows 7
You fucking idiot.
You can change your UserAgent to reflect you are in a Windows 7 machine with Internet Explorer or whatever.
>All Linux distros are equally secure
Not true. If it running less services and is better configured it is more secure.
>in fact there are no faster or slower Linux distributions
Again, if you are running less services and shit obviously it will be faster. Ricing seems to not affect much, though.
>There are no stable distros at all
Debian is pretty stable if you only do security updates.

I hope you are trolling.
>>
>>51759766
H
>>
It's the kernel most commonly used by the GNU operating system
>>
Meme
>>
Imagine a fatty tipping a fedora

Forever.
>>
>>51759741
Linux is a Unix-like and mostly POSIX-compliant computer operating system (OS) assembled under the model of free and open-source software development and distribution. The defining component of Linux is the Linux kernel, an operating system kernel first released on 5 October 1991 by Linus Torvalds. The Free Software Foundation uses the name GNU/Linux to describe the operating system, which has led to some controversy.
>>
As a gentle breeze, that whispers words of hope to your ears.
>>
>>51759876
I
>>
AutismOS
>>
>>51759780
Why do people misuse this image macro SO much?
It's comparing Linux distributions with EACH OTHER, not against Windows and OSX. Can you read?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOtKZA9ri7M
>>
>>51759998
P
>>
>>51759888
Madonna troia
>>
File: 1395357854232.jpg (14 KB, 294x273) Image search: [Google]
1395357854232.jpg
14 KB, 294x273
>>51759868
>>
>>51759741
A mistake
>>
>>51759741
It's probably the simplest and most secure OS to manage
>>
>>51760048
Linux (as a kernel) is not secure so far. Pure FreeBSD (without Flash or Java, known to be 0-day-prone) is secure. Mac OS X, which is based on FreeBSD, is probably more secure than Linux.

Linus Torvalds even said that someone who would focus on security rather than functionalities would be "a masturbating monkey".
>>
A free software and mature operating system kernel program
>>
>>51760516
Linux as a kernel is secure. Just run SE Linux and configure it how you need it.
>>
>>51760516
>Pure FreeBSD
The "BSD is secure" meme comes from OpenBSD, not FreeBSD. FreeBSD also prioritizes performance/functionality over security, just ask Theo.

Besides, "muh pure system is secure" goes out the window the second you install a package
>>
>>51759741
It's pretty good but i love muh programs and muh games.
I had xubuntu a while back and then an update fucked it in the ass.
Debian + XFCE4 is my flavor.

But since for some reason i can't fucking dual boot, i'm stuck with windows and a debian vm.
>>
>>51759741
Linux is a kernel. It means it tells your computer how to use your graphic card or your eth0 wire, to name a few.

GNU/Linux is the combination of an operating system (GNU) and a kernel (Linux). It is under a GNU GPL license, which means that everyone can make derivatives of it, at the condition of putting their work under the same license ; so you have a lot of GNU/Linux distros such as Debian, Archlinux, Gentoo Linux, Mageia etc.

GNU/Linux is based on Unix, which is pretty handy when you need to use the command line to get shit done properly. There is also another free OS based on Unix : BSD. It has several distros, including OpenBSD, FreeBSD, DragonBSD and so on. Their license has no condition for making a derivative (it's called "forking") of it however, so proprietary softwares such as Mac OS X which is mostly closed-source and restricts the liberties related to their open-source software. Another example of proprietary forks of BSD-licensed software is Chromium and Chromium OS, which are forked as Chrome, the Chromebooks, Vivaldi and Opera.

This is because of Linux that a driver that works with Debian works with Archlinux. There is another kernel, Hurd, which is much better, but it has no support from the industry and only a few drivers are released for it (correct me if I'm wrong).
>>
>>51760570
Oh, thanks, I had confused two Wikipedia pages. I thought the FreeBSD one had been modified for editorial reasons.

>tfw an entire portion of Mac OS X propaganda I said is nonsense
>>
>>51759741

worethless
>>
>>51759946
In layman's terms tho
>>
Kernel.
>>
>>51759741
free
>>
>>51759741
It's a kernel.
>>
>>51759946
>The defining part of the kernel is the kernel.
No shit.
>>
a kernel that is not an operating system.
>>
File: j75vIc8.png (89 KB, 524x499) Image search: [Google]
j75vIc8.png
89 KB, 524x499
>>
>>51760007
Linux isn't an OS you fucking moron.
>>
>>51764996
>Linux (noun): An open-source operating system modelled on UNIX

>Linux is a Unix-like and mostly POSIX-compliant computer operating system
>>
>>51759766
>S
>not Ñ
>>>/o/ovg
>>
>>51759741
>What is Linux?
baby dont hurt me
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.