[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What webby stack?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: DickbuttAnatomy.png (348 KB, 897x1052) Image search: [Google]
DickbuttAnatomy.png
348 KB, 897x1052
What web stack should I into, /g/?

I did some LAMP back in the day, but I don't want to touch PHP (mostly because I don't want to end up maintaining ancient PHP, modern PHP might be nice, I dunno).

My goal is to do remote work while travelling. Since web dev companies and clients seem more open to working arrangements like this, that's the direction I want to go.
>>
Nobody?
>>
>>51758768
>scientific name
>capital on second part of the name
Reported.
>>
>>51759106
>absolute autism
>>
C + CGI obviously
>>
either ruby on rails or LAMP with modern php
>>
>>51758768
laravel is the best web framework to be honest family. yes, it's php, but other frameworks are just shit compared to laravel. it has everything you'll ever need.
>>
>>51759635

>Laravel - The PHP Framework For Web Artisans

That made me throw up a little, but I'll take a look.
>>
>>51758768
>Linux
Still very good. The most widely-supported *nix, good performance, good hardware support. If your hardware supports it, try out OpenBSD or FreeBSD, which I find are much more well-thought-out than Linux. But if you don't really give a shit, Linux is fine.
>Apache
Nginx seems to be overtaking Apache as the fileserver of choice, and definitely seems to be a better choice for dynamic sites, which sounds like your area. Check out this article for an overview of the differences: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/apache-vs-nginx-practical-considerations
>MySQL
PostgreSQL seems to be gaining popularity now. It has better performance, better profiling tools, sticks to standards more closely, and has some other advantages. Also, MySQL is Oracle, and Oracle is shit. There is also the NoSQL trend, which basically throws the relational model and all the safety promises of SQL databases out the window in the name of performance and quick prototyping. NoSQL can be nice for prototyping but is probably a bad idea in production, IMO.
>PHP
>I don't want to touch PHP
Good. I would personally recommend Go, which is about as simple as PHP but much safer and better designed. It gets criticism for sacrificing elegance in the name of simplicity, but for making simple CRUD websites, it would be my first choice. The standard library includes SQL, JSON encoding and decoding to native data structures, HTTP, XML, and a ton of other libraries for web stuff. The HTTP library basically obviates the need for a proxy like Apache or Nginx. There are other languages that are gaining popularity for backend stuff; mostly functional languages like Clojure and Haskell that are pretty different from PHP and wouldn't let you translate your skills as quickly.

Stay the fuck away from PHP. Even with the latest versions, it's a really poorly-designed and inconsistent language.
>>
>>51759187
he has a point though....
>>
>>51758768
Learn MEAN then supplement with React and learn Python or a strongly type language later.
>>
>>51760930

Just because you're autistic doesn't mean you're wrong. This board is over-reliant on "autistic" as some kind of undermining insult. Unless we're arguing a social interaction problem (e.g. "I'm so stressed because my sister wants a Macbook, how do I convince her to get something else?"), I don't see why it's relevant to even bring it up.
>>
>>51760998
>MongoDB
Does not guarantee that transactions are actually written to the database. PostgreSQL performs better than MongoDB (http://www.enterprisedb.com/postgres-plus-edb-blog/marc-linster/postgres-outperforms-mongodb-and-ushers-new-developer-reality) and has a JSON type, so you can do the same things as MongoDB unless you're doing sharding or other more advanced MongoDB tools, which is pretty unlikely for people like OP on a single or a handful of VPSes.
>Angular.js
The meme JavaScript web app framework changes by the minute.
>Express.js
>Node.js
Node.js is fucking terrible and JavaScript is fucking terrible.
>>
>>51761520
>PostgreSQL performs better than MongoDB

I've gotten the impression that most of the people who were blathering about "Web scale" and key-value stores were largely incompetent at SQL.

Not that I'm competent at SQL, I just don't make performance claims based on my own incompetency in SQL.
>>
>>51761520
>JavaScript is fucking terrible.
I competed in a hackathon where teams had 24 hours to develop a twitter knock off. One team was a bunch of aspie fucks and one hipster: their project was 100% javascript, down to auto-generated html, and because they handled EVERYTHING client side, I broke their site in under 5 minutes.

Javascript is a bad language that makes it too easy to write bad code, and which people for some reason love shoehorning into applications where it doesn't belong.
>>
>>51762048
>I've gotten the impression that most of the people who were blathering about "Web scale" and key-value stores were largely incompetent at SQL.
Not all of them, but a number of them certainly don't understand the relational model and just use MongoDB because it's quicker to start building stuff with. There are reasons why huge companies use MongoDB, but they don't really apply to small projects/sites like OP is working with.
>>
>>51758768
MEAN, its all javascript.
>>
>>51758768
rails, there is a lot of demand for it and the easiest by far. Frontend development is also on demand most of the time so there's that as well.
>>
>>51761520
>The meme JavaScript web app framework changes by the minute.

OP here. I dunno, I've been hearing about Angular for quite awhile now.
>>
>>51762249
>because they handled EVERYTHING client side, I broke their site in under 5 minutes.

How does that make any sense at all?

If all the work was done client-side, why is their server easy to break?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.