[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fortran - masterrace?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Fortran.jpg (87 KB, 610x780) Image search: [Google]
Fortran.jpg
87 KB, 610x780
Hello /g/-men,

I too a peak into Fortran. Coming from Lisp, C/C++ and Java I found Fortran to be pleasant simple for a "low level" language. Since then I wonder why it isn't considered as a big player outside of science.

Then I searched for "common" libraries like ImageMagick or GTK to use in Fortran. Sadly I didn't find anything pleasant. The only way is to write glue code between C and Fortran, but again I did not find many or any significant library that is included in Debian or Fedora. Are there any?

>pic related
>>
>>51757336
>peak
Stopped reading right there.
>>
>>51757336
Use matlab.
>>
>>51757336
Geophysics student, FORTRAN was my first language and I prefer it a million times over Octave/Matlab, AMA desu baka reddit!
>>
File: lisp_cycles.png (200 KB, 1600x528) Image search: [Google]
lisp_cycles.png
200 KB, 1600x528
>>51757336
>Since then I wonder why it isn't considered as a big player outside of science.
It's an ancient pile of shit that is only used by scientists because that's what they learned 200 years ago on their babbage engine, and anyone using it now is due to legacy reasons.
>>
>>51759687
What would you suggest? My professor wants to use it for our individual based model, but I may be able to convince her otherwise.
>>
>>51759842
I'm not going to suggest anything, this board is downright caustic when it comes languages.

Try to identify your needs. Then look at available libraries that support those needs for different languages, and the support available on those ( 9 out of 10 times that will be a stackoverflow page)

If you aren't an experienced programmer and only get assistance with fortran in your course, then stick to it tough. It's the path of least resistance.
>>
>>51759687
>anyone using it now is due to legacy reasons.
Fired by a bottomless pit of working subroutines. Hard to argue with that.
It's like the house brick or the steel pipe. There may be newer but no better.

>>51759842
You, a student can convince your professor?
You obviously don't understand what you're messing with.
>>
>>51759842
Just use R or Octave/MATLAB
>>
>>51759921
Well I'm not as experienced as many of you here I'm sure. She has a PhD in Ecology, and I'm majoring in Biology, so we aren't really computer science heads. I have a minor in CS, but I've only really had proper experience in Java.

>>51759948
>You, a student can convince your professor?
Yeah we are working together on a research project. Its not like a class or anything, more or less a separate side project that we would like to get finished and possibly publish.

>>51759955
Thanks I'll look into those
>>
>>51759687
Its still in use today. Its yeilds faster results when youre doing stuff like computational chem and whatnot.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.