[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have an off the shelf computer right now and was going to do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: IMG_6498 copy.jpg (182 KB, 1365x1024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6498 copy.jpg
182 KB, 1365x1024
I have an off the shelf computer right now and was going to do incremental upgrades but I decided that I would just buy everything all at once. Would this be any good?

Case: Antec One
CPU: i5 4590
Motherboard: MSI-H87M-G43
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 4GB SC
PSU: Corsair CX750M
RAM: 2x 2GB @ 1333Hz, 2x 4GB @ 1333Hz (Already have these.)

I already bought the case and it's being shipped, that was before I decided to just buy everything at once. I'm pretty much stuck with it. With that in mind it can fit a max 10.5" graphics card.

I'm thinking of a 750W PSU cause I don't want to have to upgrade it soon.

I have heard of the GTX 970 RAM fiasco and I've looked at some game play videos and it seems not bad, the price jump from 970 to 980 seems too high to justify the increase in performance.

I plan on using Windows 7 64bit for as long as possible if that matters.
>>
Any words of wisdom besides installing Gentoo?
>>
>>51740636
>3,5

get a xeon 1231v3

antec one is okay, i'd get something noise isolated though

about psu, just get any 550-650 watt psu with gold certification and maybe modular if you want it. a psu is always a gamble in longevity but going for more watts is not a good idea since gpu's, the main power drawing suckers, will get even better efficiency as time goes on so you can spend the money in efficiency rather than maximal wattage output
>>
>>51741004
I don't know if it'd be worth it in price difference from the i5 to Xeon 1231v3, the CPU and motherboard are a combo for $340 (Canada dollars), separately the CPU is $270 and motherboard is $85. The Xeon is $373 by itself without a cooler and I'd have to get a separate motherboard.

From what I've read so far the CPU isn't as important as the GPU.
>>
ancient and bad case, ship it straight back and get corsair 100r.. especially if you plan to keep that thing anywhere near a floor.
>>
also 750w PSU is a waste of money and electricity... you wont even get near 500w let alone 750w
>>
>>51741556
It didn't look so bad to me. The only real restriction I can see is the 10.5" graphics card. And what do you mean if I plan to keep it anywhere near the floor?

>>51741570
I could switch it to a 600W non-module for $35 less or 600W modules for $20 less. I can probably just go for the non-modular and shove everything in there.
>>
>>51741663
Funnily enough I wanted the same case when i was building my pc, but then i did some research..

firstly you're paying a shit load for a comparatively old and outdated case (you can a better modern case for the price, interior will be better as well as more sturdy and well made)

secondly it has no feet to keep it raised from the floor where the psu will be.. if you have a carpet surface this is a death trap for the pc, if you have a wooden floor, it is still bad.

if youre going to really stick with that case then i'd highly recommend modular, since the space in that case is so small and the air flow already terrible, you're going to find it much easier to work with modular, and have much less cables interfering with airflow.
>>
>>51740636
honestly op unless you're going 1440p the 970 is fine. I'd still recommend you get better ram
>>
>>51742109
Thanks for the advice, I didn't realize it had no feet, I'm on a tile floor so it shouldn't be too big of a problem. I actually got it on sale for $67 free shipping and it was a one day thing so I bought it very quickly without much research. I wasn't planning on building a full computer at the time so I wasn't too observant of these things.

>>51742182
I'll try to stick with these sticks for now, I have no real reason other than I'm trying to keep this thing under $1000.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this, switching the CX750M to a CX600M.
>>
>>51742296

corsair PSU's are notorious for fucking up/making rattling noises (i bought one, returned instantly)

get silverstone strider 600w modular thank me later

always do a lot of research otherwise you'll be spending another month returning things and buying new shit

corsair is great for cases, excellent customer support, but dont go near their ram + psu's
>>
File: Why-cant-I-afford-SSD.jpg (222 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Why-cant-I-afford-SSD.jpg
222 KB, 1000x750
>>51740636
>>51740636

OMG That Case! What the fuck will you put in all those 5-Inch Floppy Drive bays?

>inb4 OP is building a network CD-ROM server from the year 1990
>>
>>51742462
I read about the whining/rattling noises and pretty much just hoped it wouldn't happen to me. The Silverstone is still within the price range so I'll get that instead.

Yeah it kinda sucks that I have a restriction on the GPU length, some cards I was looking at are too long, I guess in the future I will have to take that into consideration. At the price I bought this case it's not gonna hurt too bad having to swap it.

>>51742553
Yeah, no. There's 3 bays and a place for a 120mm fan.
>>
>>51742572

do you need to install 3 free AOL CD-ROMS at the same time?
>>
>>51742599
No sir, I do not.
>>
>>51742627

The thing is... hardly anyone needs an internal CD-ROM anymore. Yet people keep buying cases with 5" bays, so companies keep making them.

If we want more choices in cases that don't have external bays, then we need to start buying the few bay-less cases that are available!
>>
>>51742741
I agree, I don't even install Windows with CD's anymore I just use a USB thumb drive. It would be nice to still have one just in case but really I'd rather have the extra space used to hold hard drives.
>>
>>51742848

You should have an USB -> SATA adapter in your bag of parts. ($10) You can use this to plug in your old CD-ROM for that one time you need it on your new computer.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.