[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
\sosg\ -Server OS General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Server OS General

What Server OS are you using and for what?
>>
>>51729350
How long does a Windows server 'Technical preview' last? IE does this buggy windows server preview last forever? I am looking to practice my virtualization and clustering skills at home and want to use this as the base for the next year or so. Not quite liking my Opensuse install and need to get to work on my other projects...
>>
>>51729350
Install Debian
>>
>>51729350
Not using 2016 yet. I'll start replacing domain controllers once it hits rtm.

Most of my machine's are 2012r2 for. Except for exchange and dirsync
>>
>>51729879
business I work for uses windows and I both love and hate it. Dont have to spend 5 hours figuring out how to do something but at the same time nothing is truly free.
>>51729437
Debian isn't the answer right now. I am focused on learning programming. I can't google debian shit every 5 minutes to figure out how to configure everything. I love Debian but it just isn't my cup of coffee when I am trying to get things done.
>>
I just installed Server 2016 on one of my servers.

It works well except sometimes explorer.exe resets itself.

Ive been considering trying out a debian install but im basically having the same feels as
>>51729967
>>
Ubuntu server not sure why you need anything else desu
>>
http and ssh fileserver, ran debian for a while then switched to gentoo. probably gonna run a rust server soon so gonna switch to winxp
>>
>>51729879
Given the general lack of quality in W10, I'm planning on holding off on 2016. There's really little reason for me to move my infrastructure from 2012R2 yet, and I'm not sure if moving my print server from 2008R2 is a good idea right now. Fuck print servers.
>>
CentOS > Debian
>>
>main server
going to install NetBSD
>firewall
OpenBSD
>>
>>51731952
Actually now that I think of it, anyone know if NetBSD supports IP over FireWire?
>>
>Wangblows
>Acceptable for use on servers
Pick one and only one

>>51729437
This

>>51729967
>>51730237
You literally install it and it werks.
>>
>>51731952
>freebsd
any reason to not to be lazy and just use the preconfigured firewall version? pfSense
Im actually curious
>>
>>51732048
Where did I say anything about FreeBSD? And pfSense doesn't run on PowerPC anyway.
>>
>>51731383

I'm part of a group that does IT for a hospital group. At one location, there's a machine, not even a server, that connects up to a giant...what can only be called a serial port hub of sorts, which then connects up a series of Dot Matrix/Line Printers in various parts of the building. The hub is powered, and the cable on the other end has a powered amplifier too. It's an insane mess that was setup by a crew from their health-care software provider. It's some older than dirt system that uses a VT100 emulation terminal program on the PCs, going back to a redhat server that's been virtualized on a server, with a Windows 2000 server that runs the domain and credential management, and a CentOS machine for god-knows what. I'm supposing the layer for billing, insurance linking, and more.

Generally speaking, we stay the fuck away from all their Healthcare servers and machines, and only really do the networking and general PC maintenance/installs/service/etc. Someone gets a Virus? We clear it out. But I have to feel for whatever sorry sap has to manage that printer BS. It does not even look remotely amusing.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.