[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did you? Do you regret it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: DROP OUT-jacket.png (29 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
DROP OUT-jacket.png
29 KB, 256x256
Why did you?

Do you regret it?
>>
I didn't.

I regret this.
>>
My only regret is wasting the best years of my life on this website. High School was fucking shit and my small-town administration had it out for my family.
>>
>>51722676
This

I stuck in there and completed my degree on overtime

It didn't make me happy
It didn't land me a better job
I wish I had just dropped out after the bachelor's, I wouldn't be half as depressed as I am now
>>
>>51722397
Because it was the new and cool arcade game at the time, and it was the hardest song.
So if I beat it I was THE BEST!
>>
>>51722397
depression

sometimes I do, especially that all my friends are doing their bachelor's now. but I wouldn't have been in the field that I studied (computational linguistics), I can't see myself programming all day.
I'm now in a three-year systems integration apprenticeship, spending half a week at work and half a week at a vocational school. Feeling pretty good, I want to get into networking.
>>
>>51723014
*wouldn't have been happy
>>
>Why did you?

dropped out after one year. mostly because i wasn't really learning anything, even though i was taking second and third year electives. like a lot of nerds i got into computers at an early age, i was programming at 13 and working with AVRs at 16.

>Do you regret it?

it's kind of complicated. not having a degree hasn't affected my career in the slightest so far, but i lied on my resume to get employed.

now i'm on a management track at an ASX 200 company (australian equivalent of fortune 500) and one day i hope to be CTO here. but i worry that i will be called out by someone for lying about my credentials at some point, especially since my name has been mentioned in the media a couple of times recently.
>>
>>51722826
My nigga
>>
>>51722750

>my small-town administration had it out for my family.

Neat excuse.
>>
>>51723095

This is something you should seriously worry about. Anybody could hold that against you if they find out.
>>
>>51723140
Afronova was my favorite tho.
>>
I didn't.
As a result, I have a degree, and a career.
>>
had a few episodes when my schizophrenia got really bad and just stopped going. I might go back sometime since I'm on newer medication that works better but I might just teach myself instead
>>
>>51722397
I dropped out. Every job i've had asks if I have high school diploma or GED equivalent. Employers don't care enough to even ask which you have.

Dropping out had no negatives at all. It's almost sad. Hell, I used my GED scored for college admission tests and didn't have to take SAT's on top of receiving a grant for going to college with a GED. If anything, dropping out made shit easier than having a diploma. Don't drop out if you're a lazy piece of shit though because if you don't get your GED (lots of idiots don't) you'll be valued less than illegal day laborers from Mexico.
>>
>>51722397
No money, long story short.
Every day. I'm finally somewhat stable but barely and I haven't figured out a better way yet
>>
>>51723183
yeah i do worry a bit.

at the moment my plan is basically to keep silent about it until i get promoted to a position visible to the public. when that happens i'll come clean and say i'm probably not the man for the job because my credentials are bogus, and i'll see how they react. maybe they won't care, maybe they'll give me the chance to finish the degree, maybe they'll move on to someone else. i guess we'll see.
>>
>>51722397
MIT wasn't what I had always expected it. I ended up creating my own startup and sold it so I could retire early.
>>
>>51722397
because they had an "experiential learning" requirement. Had to get, and keep through a whole semester, a job or internship that someone in the department approved. They had a job fair twice a year, but they wouldn't place you or anything. You can't graduate without the requirement. I couldn't get anything and ran out of other classes to take. Then nobody wanted me since I was a senior with no work experience. Then after another semester, I wasn't an active student anymore, since I wasn't in any classes, and all the internships have a requirement that you be an active student.

so now I'm a 28yo dropout with no work history or degree, which means that the labor market has no use for me, in any field or capacity. I'll wait till my parents get sick of supporting me and then take a 12-guage aspirin.
>>
>>51723095
>but i lied on my resume to get employed.

What did you lie about? Just curious
>>
>>51723365
>What did you lie about? Just curious
that i completed my degree (b.compsci) rather than drop out.
>>
>>51723268
You should honestly come clean about it now. If you are a good employee, they will most likely pay for you to finish.
>>
>>51723352
How autistic are you?
Honestly society has no use for you if you can't get a simple internship
>>
I didn't.

As a result I have an engineering job and a pretty decent life.
>>
>>51722397

Loved playing this song
>>
I didn't but wish I did. Had scholarships covering tuition and I graduated a semester early but it was a miserable experience. I got a couple job offers for after graduation but turned them down because I was just done with everything. Thinking about joining the Air Force as a way to reset my life.
>>
>>51723646
>>How autistic are you?
quite a bit. I think part of my problem is that I can't fake enthusiasm, and they could tell that I was in college and applying for a job because I had to, rather than because I wanted to. And that's the ballgame.
>>
Because I suck and I'd be incompetent in an actual job after finishing the degree anyway.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.