[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Career general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 5
File: myhc_30431.jpg (24 KB, 490x270) Image search: [Google]
myhc_30431.jpg
24 KB, 490x270
This thread is for career advice, questions and everything else.

You can post what you do, how much you earn and why you love or hate your job.
>>
i got a jarb lined up out of college. the company is letting me decide when I want to start. how long is too long of a break between grad and job?
>>
Installation if equipment like routers, PCs, phones, switches, software.. Anything goes really. Typically do a lot of travel around the country, which means I'm home late most days and leave for work at 7am the next day yawn. Not a big fan of this gig, also only on £15,000 pa.
>>
self taught how do i get a webd job fambrahs please give me a job
>>
>>51721451
A year or so maximum.
>>
>>51721405
>You can post what you do,
PhD student

>how much you earn
445k NOK a year before taxes

>why you love or hate your job.
It's complicated, I sometimes love it, I sometimes hate it, and other times I even love and hate it simultaneously.

>>51721451
>how long is too long of a break between grad and job?
Anything more than a month IMHO, but it depends on how badly you need the pay/salary I guess.
>>
>sophmore, CS undergrad
>interested in pentesting/malware
>but also interested in development/programming

what should I be looking for for internships/part time jobs?
what are the main skills I should be trying to rack up now?
>>
File: mem.jpg (27 KB, 360x450) Image search: [Google]
mem.jpg
27 KB, 360x450
>mfw shitty supermarket job
>mfw doing nasty oral things to old men

I'm doing fine and dandy fa(m).
>>
>>51721508
whats your job title?
>>
I make about 600$ a month as senior help desk. Outlived 4 bosses and saw all of my coleagues rise above me although there were no complaints at my work.

Recently posted here, anon said I can do better. Asked a guy who is product manager of godawful system omnitracker in our company, (I am secondary support, do all the shit he cannot be arsed or he trusts me with) and told me if I'd learn VB then I could go for higher payment.

Also told my boss I want a raise, or job training. Long talk, very hard, told me to wait until january. Either pulling my shit and looking for replacement, or actually agreeing on the budget. Don't care either way.

All I can say is try to stick with one company. Once you know everybody in there it is easier to advance. Much more easier to hire a guy you know from other department who has experience with internal products of the company than some other guy from god knows where (although if you are shit, it will work against you)
my 2 cents
>>
>>51721451
i'd say 6 months is too much.

honestly i'd take 3 months

first two weeks of just relaxing
take a month and just travel. go backpacking. something.
then the last few weeks just stay at home, visit family and friends everyday. find a hobby to do on the weekends after you start working.
>>
>>51721405
Prop trader.
50% of what I earn from trading minus desk fees or €236,000 last year before tax (fuck europoor tax rates).
I love my job because its exciting and I earn based on how well I do.
I hate it because it is stressful as fuck plus 15 days and only get holidays when Europe, the UK and the US have the day off.
>>
>>51721588
ive heard of cases where people hop jobs every 1.5 to 2 years for pay raises.
>>
>>51721502
>>51721508
>>51721627

thanks for the advice. money won't really be a huge concern in the gap period so it's more of a first-impression with the company thing.

i think i'll prob take around three months off. besides finishing things and goofing off, the job is halfway across the country, so i'm going to need some time to move, find a place, and get acclimated.
>>
Developer at HFT firm
140k/year
I want to quit. I'm exhausted
>>
How do I get an internship?

I'm going into fourth year of my CS degree next year, The previous two summers I've worked at a factory, because the pay was good and I got free room and board from my parents. But I'm willing to sacrifice that for job experience, because what /g/ has been telling me is that I'll be fucked if I don't have any by the time I graduate.

I have failed some courses, will this seriously fuck me over? I have tried applying to internships for the previous summer but didn't get any interviews.

Could the internship thing be a meme? Can I still have a chance of getting a job without internship experience after uni?

Basically, I'd appreciate any tips. I've heard that having projects up on github can help bolster your resume, what level of complexity would those projects have to be at? I could probably do something in java if I really put my mind to it, provided it was worth it.
>>
File: PC_Zone_Issue_7.jpg (1 MB, 1793x2344) Image search: [Google]
PC_Zone_Issue_7.jpg
1 MB, 1793x2344
Software Developer at a company with about 25 other developers. We work on geographical data interpretation software, so we have rather important clients, as I'm sure you could understand.

I'm on £24k a year, but I've only been here for coming on 5 months, and it's my second year out of university.

It's a pretty good job, all things considering. The commute is unpleasant, and we're all feeling the burn since we have a massive deliverable in a couple of weeks, and we're really, really not prepared.
>>
>>51721405

Does it make sense to learn Python/Django if I plan go to the Java EE route?
>>
>>51722296
I guess in the sense that you'll learn how backend web arch works. Why not just learn the Java equivalent if you're sure that you want to work in Java?
>>
>>51722364

Java EE is backend.
>>
>tfw get employed as webshit dev after 2 yrs of unemployment
>tfw work is just unfulfilling
How do i get into real software development guise?
>>
>>51722410
>2 yrs of unemployment

How did this happen anon? I keep reading such stories and it freaks me the fuck out.
>>
>>51721451
Why do you need a break in the first place? Give yourself like two weeks at most.
>>
>>51721804
>Could the internship thing be a meme?

JUST CAUSE SOMETHINGS A MEME DOESNT MEAN THAT ITS TOTALLY MEANINGLESS/WORTHLESS.

Yes, have projects on your Github. They don't even have to be hard. Just show on your Github that you enjoy programming.

Yes, continue to apply for internships. Worse comes to worse, get an internship in QA and perform well. Express that you want to get into development. They'll probably want you back after graduation, and at that point they'll probably be okay with you going into development since you had a passion for it, and your work ethic shows that you can get shit done.

If you graduate without a degree, it will be harder to find a job. But you'll find one.
>>
Can I get a webdev job without a degree?
>>
>>51721582
PhD student
>>
>>51721759
>140k

Shit mang, what do I need to get into this field?
>>
>>51722442
General anxiety + laziness
also some depression
>>
>>51722603
Yes, it will be quite easy too
>>
>>51722749

I know that very well and I'm trying to get out there too. Be more social, participate in open source projects and stop fearing people who might judge my code.
>>
>>51722410
>tfw get employed as webshit dev after 2 yrs of unemployment
share your journey in bullet points
>>
Should I start learning a language if I don't have any projects in mind nor do I have any use for it at the moment? I just want to pad my CV.
>>
>>51722849
I just got it through someone i knew. They asked me to do a small project in one of the popular frameworks after which they took me on.
If it weren't for that i'd still be unemployed because i didn't have to go through a formal interview process.
>>
Anyone here in GIS?
>>
So a company is flying me across the country to interview for an developer intern position, how do I not fuck this up? Pls halp
>>
>finish postgrad
>amerikkan startups contact me about jobs via twitter
>send my cv
>no reply (3 weeks now)

what did i do wrong?
>>
>>51723292
Send a follow-up request, but I guess lack of internships and relevant part-time jobs might be the problem?
>>
>>51722882
Learning a new language is always fun, so yes.

However, I'm skeptic about putting it on your CV. I worked as a developer at a company using mainly C++ for development for almost a year and a half, I'm still not sure if I know it well enough to put it on my CV.
>>
Bookie cunt here

>Job Title
Manager's Assistant. Or ASM, however you prefer it.

>Hours
Contracted for 25hours/week, but always have plenty of overtime

>Pay
£7.80/hour, which is pretty good considering this is my first job, so no previous experience, and I'm only 18. Honestly cannot complain.

>Love/Hate
Love it. The work is easy, the customers are a laugh.
>>
>>51721713

The "no pay rises, only new jobs" thing seems to be depressingly common.
>>
>>51723308
Yeah, I think I will. I'm in a pretty niche discipline, my grades are great and I have an exemplary work history (albeit in a slightly different field) and one guy was making it out like he'd let me choose my own job in his new division, seems weird that he didn't get back. Wasn't sure if being british would put them off cause visa issues
>>
>>51723346

Thanks. The problem is I'm graduating soon and only know Java well. I do Android and also working on JEE now. These two alone take quiet the time but listing only a language on my resume is not good enough.

I also did C in college but I don't work with it and if I do list it I'll only add it as "familiar" with.

As an aside, is C++ really that difficult?
>>
£24K mid level backend web dev, currently leading on a project for a client probably worth billions. Really need/want a payrise.

Commute is ok (30 mins, previous job was 1hr+ and over twice the distance).

Has Flexitime which is awesome.

All the work is for a single platform which has insanely confusing backend elements that are poorly documented and fragile as fuck.

All in all, mostly happy with the job.
>>
>>51722882
>>51723346

Just be honest with your CV, any experience with a new language is a bonus but if you bullshit you risk getting caught out.

Deveoper jobs have a habit of having insanely long lists of skills needed but they only expect a passing knowledge of most.
>>
>>51723519

How's the job market in the UK for devs?
>>
>>51723519
>>51721813
>>51721466
>UKfags getting paid half as much as Americans for the same work

:^)
>>
>>51723554

tech jobs it's pretty good
>>
>>51723424
>I also did C in college but I don't work with it and if I do list it I'll only add it as "familiar" with.
You could always make one post on the CV and list languages in the order of familiarity, so "Java (EE), C, whatever" perhaps?

>As an aside, is C++ really that difficult?
Depends on how well you know C. I had 6-7 years experience with C before I gave C++ a try, and after a week of trying and having read "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++" by Scott Meyers, the "what the actual devil is going on here"s were mostly gone. There are some gotcha's, but reading those books got most of them.

The stuff I still struggle with is intricate template magic, because I'm not really sure in what is going on there and you really need to know a little about in which order the compiler does stuff.
>>
>>51723554

Moderately strong but very focused around tech hubs (London, Brighton, Cambridge and weirdly Guildford are the biggest around my ares).

Very hard to get that first job, nowhere will train up a developer, you'll need to go in with a reasonbly strong set of skills (speaking as a web dev).

Working on contract is a very good way of building skills (what I did, albeit in a way where I got financially fucked over). £150-£200 a day doing anything from HTML emails to Drupal Module development (very sought after).
>>
>>51723548
>Deveoper jobs have a habit of having insanely long lists of skills needed but they only expect a passing knowledge of most.
That's true, yeah. I got the job I mentioned in >>51723346 despite not knowing C++ at all and I was open about this all along. They still hired me because I had a "developer's mindset", in their words.

>>51723402
If it's abroad, then that might be it, but still. 3 weeks isn't completely unheard of, but it can never hurt sending a follow-up request. If anything, it makes you seem more interested which is always good.
>>
>>51723548

I mean, I'm not gonna say I'm an expert in it. I'll write it under "Languages" or something. I still don't have a CV.

>Deveoper jobs have a habit of having insanely long lists of skills needed but they only expect a passing knowledge of most.

That's another reason I'm afraid. People are expecting a lot from other developers and there are also automated tools to screen for languages, that if I do list only 1-2 they think I'm a good-for-nothing.
>>
>>51723572
Without paying tens of thousands for education and healthcare, the cost of living really comes down.

£24k is good money in the UK. Get a nice house, nice car, and pile up savings pretty quick.
>>
>>51721405
>You can post what you do,
intern software developer. Only web dev using php and Drupal so far.

>how much you earn
25k -> 60k if I get hired on at the end of my term

>why you love or hate your job.
It's fun and the honeymoon phase of having a career job hasn't worn off yet. I also find it interesting because the senior dev keeps giving me more challenging projects.
I've had times where I wanted to quit because of stress though.
>>
>>51723572

We also get 4 weeks holiday minimum, plus 8 days of public holidays.
>>
>>51722591
>If you graduate without a degree
how tho faⅿ
>>
>>51723655
>That's another reason I'm afraid. People are expecting a lot from other developers and there are also automated tools to screen for languages, that if I do list only 1-2 they think I'm a good-for-nothing.
See >>51723654

If it's any comfort, any serious development firm will know that nobody can be an expert in all the technologies and programming languages and frameworks they happen to use, and will recognise that some training time is required.
>>
>>51721588
That's a shitty wage without context about where you live.
>>
>>51723668

There is nothing quite like the terror of the first week or so of a job where you don't have a fucking clue how anything works, how the code is structured and you're constantly pestering the senior dev next to you.

The stress fades away luckily (although I'm probably going to have imposter syndrome my whole life).

Anywhere that piles on crunch times for you though is somewhere you don't want to work.
>>
>>51721759
Save a lot and retire early in florida.
>>
>>51723702
>London
Then don't live in a shithole.
Christ I can manage a 3 Bedroom house with a large garden for £450/month.

London is just fucked on the house pricing, so it's not a fair comparison when people are paying £400,000 for a 2 bedroom flat in cesspool of a city.
>>
>>51722296
No, and I'm pretty sure you already knew the answer to your question.
>>
File: k4dcfth.png (167 KB, 600x590) Image search: [Google]
k4dcfth.png
167 KB, 600x590
>>51723645
>Very hard to get that first job

I'm really worried about this.
>>
Interested in System Administration. Currently studying for a CCNA R&S. Am I going down the wrong path?

Getting books on general UNIX Administration this Xmas. Also learning to code the hard way.

Any advice? Should I go back to a college for this stuff?
>>
>>51723817

It's mostly intended so I can learn Python by building some web apps.
>>
>>51721405
1st year our of uni,
Mining Engineer,
$96k (Only around $70k USD because AUD is fucked)

Pure cancer field. Everyone wants more production, but no one is investing heavily anymore. It's a net-less game for the workers.
>>
entry level unix system administrator

my main skills are openbsd and linux

i dont earn much desu but i enjoy what i do as i guess it's my hobby aswell
>>
>>51723875
>Mining Engineer

You mean data mining? Don't you need at least a master's for that?
>>
>>51723890
No, actual Mining. Open-cut quarrying. I'm in the blast team.
>>
>>51723843

CCNA is definately useful, LPIC qualifications are useful is too
>>
>>51723913
>tfw you've been on /g/ too long so normal words doesn't make sense anymore
>>
>>51723655

I can only talk about this from a web dev context, here's how you read lists:

Primary Language (you need skills here unless they explicitly tell you you'll be taught).

A library or platform. you will be expected to have some knowledge of it, the type of knowledge will be specified in the job description. If they expect you to be shit hot, they will be explicit.

A framework, if it's a generic type of framework, skills can be transferred from knowledge of other frameworks. In the interview, if you don't know it, talk about one you do know about that is similar and be eager in transferring knowledge over.

Secondary languages: html, js, css, perl etc. Job description will let you know what level of these you need. For a web dev, a decent knowledge of CSS and HTML with a passable knowledge of JS is essential.

version control software. Almost certainly GIT or SVN. Basics can be learnt very quickly, learn to check out, commit/push , branch and how conflict resolution works (hard to do on your own but can be learnt on the job and will probably be done by a senior dev anyway),

Whatever IDE they use. This can be picked up, very unlikely they'll care about it.

Linux. Learn the basics of the command line. They won't expect a high level admin unless the job explicitly states.

Agile development. Buzzword, means you get a list of tasks that have to be done in a 'sprint' (usually a week). In practice it means your hours will be recorded and monitored.
>>
>>51723958

sorry i meant

CCNA is definitely useful, LPIC qualifications are useful too
>>
>>51724000
Alright, thanks. Fuck Linux though, I'm all about that *BSD life.
>>
>>51723828

Experience is king.

However it doesn't have to be 100% professional experience.

Make a website, contribute to an OSS project (this will look especially good on your CV), write a drupal module.

Failing that, low level contracting provides an excellent way of stepping up.

Just make sure in interviews that you are prepared for "why are you no longer contracting when it's more money" questions.
>>
>>51724047
>Fuck Linux though
>hurr durr why can't I get a job as a netadmin?
>>
>Currently studying IT & Information Systems (bachelor, 2nd semester starting this January)
>wanna be SysAdm. or maybe work with IT Sec
>what do

I'm thinking about maybe getting certified, but idk if it's a waste of time, as I already have a degree in IT
>>
>>51724073
Didn't say I couldn't get a job. I know there's a market for *BSD network admins
>>
>>51724085
already getting a degree* sorry, accidently entered a time-machine
>>
>>51724058
>However it doesn't have to be 100% professional experience.

Right now I'm making android apps. I'm not sure how to list this experience. If I say "freelancer" it's technically a lie.

What I mean is that I don't have any "professional" experience. I do have programming experience however.
>>
>>51724084
Think I'm gonna go for Junos after this too. But after that, do I just keep down the path of networking? What kind of things do I need to study to branch out to general sysadmin stuff?
>>
>>51724099
That doesn't mean that it's a good idea to ignore Linux all together...
>>
>>51724115

There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying it's a project done in your spare time.

If possible let them have a peak at the source code (make sure it's neat, readable and uses good practices though).
>>
Doctor, I make about 12000$ a year.
I love being a doctor, just hate doing it because I live in a third world country.
Most of the stuff I need is unavailable and if anything happened I can get killed.
>>
>>51724140
I clearly meant that as a joke. I'm well aware that GNU/Linux stuff has its place as an inferior UNIX-like in the marketplace.
>>
>Geologist
>closed quarry mining (Barrick)
>3d modelling team

>72k/y

Pretty happy with it, kinda miss the thrill of being on site 24/7 (and the pay too) but I needed some kind of stability. I can always go back in.
>>
>>51724115
Make a list of personal projects that you've worked on. The fact that you have experience and an interest programming outside of school puts you ahead of many fresh graduates with no job experience.
>>
>>51724174
Yeah, I mean, since it is by far the hypervisor OS of choice and used as the basis for DPDK and as firmware/hypervisor for a bunch of other network equipment and all
>>
I should graduate with a BIT deal in about 5 days, going to go back in Spring for Master's. Don't have any job experience, trying to see if I can't get an internship this summer. I know for a fact that I probably need to work with something that helps with automated deployment.

What's the preferred framework/library for Python for doing so? Ansible, Salt, etc?
>>
>>51724106
Don't. It's a complete waste of time. All the answers are on examcollection.com anyway. *Only* do them when your employer requires it. Ace them, show him you passed them, and then yell at him they don't mean shit. Repeat until he sees the light, or when you found a better employer.

>degree
A hundred times more valuable, provided you're studying at a good university.
>>
>>51724227
>hypervisor OS of choice
You clearly haven't heard of SmartOS or using bhyve on *BSD
>>
when you guys mention "personal/spare time projects" what kind of projects are we talking about?
the /g/ programming challenge lists, mini-game (or mods), chat server, etc ?
what would the interviewers like to see on those projects?
>>
Is there any way to get a decent job in the IT field(UK) without a degree?
>>
>>51724174
>UNIX
That's a trademark. You mean Unix-like.
>>
>>51724291
Of course I've heard about it, it's just that it's virtually not used. SmartOS is some weird OpenSolaris/KVM integration thing, and bhyve is going in the wrong direction with aiming for Xen.
>>
>>51724330
>doesn't know what it is or how it works
>virtually not used because you barely know anything about it
Oh, alright.

>thinks Xen is the wrong direction
Damn, you actually went full retard
>>
In my final year of college with one 8 month internship under my belt. I have a couple of side projects on github as well.

Haven't applied for any jobs as of yet. Been getting a couple approaches from recruiters on LinkedIn and Github.

My plan as of now is to graduate and work on some side stuff myself relevant to an area I'd like to work in. (web dev related stuff so I'm working on a MEAN stack application, trying to get passable knowledge on a couple of the big frameworks out there, javascript etc.)

Is this a sound idea /g/?
>>
>>51724323
>I clearly meant that as a joke. I'm well aware that GNU/Linux stuff has its place as an inferior UNIX-like in the marketplace.
>That's a trademark. You mean Unix-like

Yea that's what I said
>>
>>51724436
No, anon. You went full retard by implying that either SmartOS or bhyve (or both) has any leverage when it comes to VM optimalisation for network processing.
>>
>>51724475
It's okay to be wrong sometimes, I guess
>>
>>51724454
>UNIX
>Unix
You didn't, family.
>>
>>51721466
>using the term gig
>>
is college worth it if I want to be a webdev
>>
>>51724623
nah
>>
>>51723705
oh teehee i made a mistake!!!!

it should read >if you graduate without an internship
>>
what would the best job involving programming c/c++ be for someone without a degree?
>>
>>51724438
You should reach out to the recruiters anyway and express your interest. Hell, even if you don't like the companies I recommend going through the process to see how different companies handle things and how different interview processes are. It's also good for leverage to be able to tell recruiters that other people are also trying to get you.

I don't recommend taking time off from getting a job to learn more stuff. If you really care about modern webdev stuff, make sure you have a deep understanding of the concepts. If you want to know the latest trendy js library, just aside a saturday night or something to crank out a really simple app.
>>
>>51724438
no

get a job dude. job experience always beats project experience, unless your project develops into a startup or something

the longer you're out of school with nothing quantifiable the harder it will be to get a job
>>
Senior in college, once I graduate I'll be working at the big M$ doing software stuff. Their campus is cozy.
>>
I had a summer job for a few years that had me doing python scripting and database management for the government. I'm about to get a liberal arts degree but I'd like to have coding as a fallback option. What are my chances of getting a programming job?
>>
>>51721713
Truth.
Everyone around me has a decade or two of experience, and has been through 5 companies.
My problem right now is that the company I am at is really fucking great, with really high pay plus benefits and even a nontaxable allowance, not to mention it's a 15 minute drive away plus the great work place environment - so I'll be sticking here unless I get an offer 2x my salary.
Oh and it is very common to get sent to other continents for training.
>>
>>51724633
Why not?
>>
>>51723424

I wouldn't say c++ is difficult. However, it's a BIG language.

If you don't know it well and put it on your resume you are opening yourself up to get crushed on a interview.
>>
>>51722549
Yea I agree. Too long of a break might make you more sluggish when you start than if you just hopped in as soon as possible.
>>
>>51721627
This, so much this
>>
>>51723843
>>51723958

i'm also doing my CCNA now.
i was thinking i'd go for Red Hat afterwards, but i'm keen on advice from /g/.
i could get another entry level support job now, but i'd rather study up and get something a little further from the trenches.

CCNA/Red Hat a good combo for an entry level gig? is there something else i should consider as well?
>>
>>51723233
I have my GIS cert from ArcGIS and I think it's a pretty hard field to get into without experience. I haven't been able to make use of it outside college or internships in the past. Most jobs are in government or environmental consulting. Check the GIS clearinghouse and indeed.
>>
>>51723913
I was torn between mining and computer engineering a while back for college but did neither for other reasons.

Besides the fluctuations in market prices, it sounds like people like the pay and stuff a lot of the time. I guess it's a scenery thing? Do you like what you do?
>>
Sysadmin/junior netadmin 34k euro's a year before taxes ((
>>
>What you do
Bookkeeping/management for a local grocery store

>Earn
$9/hr

>Love/Hate job
Workers and customers are great, job is simple and they let me mess with their tech from time-to-time.

Trying to make my break into IT. I'm taking the A+ cert soon just to have anything to my name, is that a good idea? Any recommended resources besides Messer, if so?
>>
>>51721405
Just got an offer from Google out of uni. Not sure if I should take it or keep interviewing with other companies that pay more.
>>
File: LanHAUS.ICON.png (15 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
LanHAUS.ICON.png
15 KB, 440x440
>What you do

I own a company that custom designs PCs for consumer and commercial use.

>Earn

Labor rates vary for custom builds, but our rates are modest, our work is clean and efficient, and we offer what is essentially an unheard of level of customer service.

My favorite part of what we do, is offer a marketplace where anyone can sell their custom rig for their own asking price. We have no postings currently but

We essentially process the orders, people ship their rigs to us, we inspect/test/benchmark the systems and ship them off to our customers, who can rest assured they aren't getting some iBuyPower piece of shit.

>Love you job?

I love my job. I work 20-30 hour binges constantly, and I haven't ever thought of looking back. Even if I didn't make a dime, I would just make a heated bed out of thirty $5 raspberry pis and live under a bridge while assembling computers.
>>
>>51721405
So I'm a freshman engineer in college right now.
The way my school's ENGR program works is during our first year we learn about the different disciplines of engineering, and t is not until our second year that we actually declare our specific major.

I went in dead set on Electrical Engineering, but after learning more in detail about both Electrical and Computer engineering, I'm torn between the two.

I originally thought that stuff like microprocessing, circuit design, computer architecture, processor design, etc, and a significant amount of CS was all part of Electrical, which is why I was set on it. Now I've figured out that Electrical is really mostly just pure electricity, like power systems, and working with fuses, breakers, etc, and all of the stuff I was originally set on Electrical for is in Computer Engineering.

I would now be dead set on Computer if I wasn't unsure about job prospects in it. I have always heard that going into Computer Engineering rather than Electrical is a mistake, because it will be so much harder to find a job, despite the many similarities between the two. I guess my question is, is it really a mistake choosing Computer over Electrical?
>>
I'm trying to decide what the fuck to do and wonder if anyone here might have broad knowledge of physics/engineering/compsci. I did lower division compsci and physics before transferring to major in physics. I have now found myself disinterested in upper division physics because it feels like the physics are taking a backseat to the math, and the math is largely weird stuff that we're just given - understanding it would basically require being taught it by a grad student or just being a math major.

I'm basically just working off loan debt at the moment and want to get back into some progress. I wonder whether I should try to force myself through the end of the physics program or switch to engineering, each with self-study of programming, or just go full into a compsci or software engineering program.

Would a portfolio with physically oriented software and games, a compsci degree, and partial completion of a physics program leave me marketable for a position in software modelling of physical systems or a similar blend of physical and software disciplines? Would that same portfolio with an engineering degree leave me marketable for a pure software development position?
>>
>Do
Full stack meme developer programming mainly JS and I also do some UI design on the side.

>Earn
31k a year after taxes, insurance, retirement moneys and whatever my leftist government takes away from me.

>Love
I am pretty free to do whatever I want. Our marketing fellas hand me a customer and I run the project from there. Usually the gigs last from few days to few months, during which I try solve whatever the fuck they need solving for and produce code to accompany that solution. Usually (every single time so far) it's a web application.

>Hate
That the non-programmers think code / solutions are something that come out of a factory, where the hours can be exactly predicted before the requirements are even on the table. If I say that the time range is somewhere between two weeks and two months, the marketing dudes go pants on head retarded and tell the customer that it takes two weeks. Then I am left to deal with the shit if it takes longer. One day I'll quit this consultancy shit and move on to develop a product for a company that does products.

>Would I recommend this job for anyone else?
Do it in the beginning of your career. You rapidly develop a lot of skills and see how the programming world works. Most of the times it is nerve wrecking and some masochism is required to enjoy it, but I think it makes you grow as a person or something like that.
>>
just a front end dev fag here, nothing to see. nothing special

but i am getting overpaid so my lifes bretty good.
>>
>>51732364
>Do it only in the beginning of your career.
That's depressing. What are you supposed to do later? Become a chad-tier manager?
>>
>>51732395
Hell no. It seems I didn't point out that I was talking about the grunt-tier consulting industry. I suggest that people move to develop products and try to find a field where to specialise in, so at some point they can become senior engineers who possess technical and leading skills.
>>
>>51731731
which school, this sounds familiar
>>
>>51731731
With computer engineering you can be a code monkey if you don't find a job.
>>
>>51732491
>implying our product 'startup' isn't grunt-tier
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.