[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Jesus Christ Wikipedia.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 9
File: Untitled.png (123 KB, 1304x451) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
123 KB, 1304x451
Jesus Christ Wikipedia.
>>
>>51720359
What part of it are you reacting to? They're giving you something for free and asking politely for a donation. Don't like it don't donate. Don't like them then go visit a wiki supported by advertising or go buy am encyclopedia.
>>
>>51720417
The part where this went from a small banner at the top of the screen to a direct appeal at the top of the screen to a direct appeal which is now basically taking up the whole screen at the top of every page.
>>
>>51720448
I'm sure you can configure your browser to remove it. It might go away if you donate, too. I'll go do that right now, actually, since I like their service.
>>
>>51720359
how dare they ask for donations with that useless service they offer ha
>>
>>51720492
I'm not complaining about the fact they want donations, I'm just baffled at how in your face this is getting.
>>
>>51720359
why would i give my money so some sjws can edit article content to their political leanings?
>>
File: for free.png (167 KB, 670x670) Image search: [Google]
for free.png
167 KB, 670x670
I want Wikipedia shills to leave.
>>
>>51720359

'/g/ - Bitching About Websites'
>>
>>51720359
I donate $10 every month. It's actually one of the few things I do donate money to.
>>
>>51720520
I see absolutely no banners at all. Should I thank based adblock for this?

By the way, I donate $100 a year to Wiki, even though I barely use it. I find it generally useful for everyone, though, so to me it is worth supporting for the greater good. Oh, and I also have a well-paying job, where I don't clean aisles all day. Sorry, anon. Best of luck during the Christmas rush!
>>
Reminder that wikipedia and archive.org are the only internet things worth spending money on
>>
>>51720359
again ? didn't they asked money few months ago ?
>>
>>51720515

4chan doesnt put a giant banner asking for donatios
>>
>>51720556
>Donate $10 every month
>Still begging for donations in a way that is getting more and more in your face
>Donate $10 every month
>Soon they will be begging for donations in actual articles
>"Joseph Mengele also performed extensive research into identical twins which is commonly believed to be why you should donate $10 to Wikipedia and keep it ad free"
>>
>>51720630
>still begging for donations
You know, if you just click the X "button" thing it will stop nagging until you delete your cookies.
>>
>>51720651
>Adblock enabled
>Click x
>Disappears
>Refresh page
>It's back
Nice
>>
>>51720623
4chan has ads
>>
>>51720623
>4chan doesnt put a giant banner asking for donatios
>BUY A 4CHAN PASS
>4CHAN PASS USERS DON'T HAVE TO TYPE IN CAPTCHA!
Can't even report any more because the text captcha is literally unsolvable on Chrome + Mac OS X
>>
>>51720677
I have ABP running too, sure you don't have any funky script blocker?

>>51720623
>doesn't put a giant banner asking for donations
See pic
>>
>>51720359

its not Jimmy Wales' fault that he chose to start up a company in a region where the cost of living has 3$ coffee

what's next, you're gonna complain about Tim Schafer choosing to headquarter his development in San Fran an complain about cost of rent for the office in his kickstarter campaigns rather than putting that into the games?
>>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/20/cash_rich_wikipedia_chugging/

Does anyone already know if this is true?
Also, I pay .15 euros for my coffee
>>
>>51720741
What do you mean next? I'm pretty sure everybody has been complaining about Tim Shaferberg Jewing his fans since Double Fine Adventure.
>>
>>51720515

>create a freeware service
>suddenly have a chance of morals cause of the hype around NSA and data spying
>use thinly veiled passive aggressive "privacy" topics for why you should start paying and act like its cause you care about the users
>>
>>51720583

>$100

thats only 2 cups of coffee a month, anon

surely you drink more than that, why not buy Jimmy a cup too
>>
>>51720683
>text captcha is literally unsolvable on Chrome + Mac OS X
what. does this change with different browsers or something?
>>
>>51720630

cant wait till they start doing what a bunch of news sites do where you can only read like the first paragraph and then as you scroll down it says to "buy a subscription to read this topic"

or you only get to see like 10 pages and then it locks you out

and it'll have some message about server costs
>>
>>51720768

that was sarcasm, anon
>>
>>51720359
You can get that for 79 cents at Speedway.
>>
>>51720845
>what. does this change with different browsers or something?
It's a bug in the 4chan or captcha scripting. On Safari it just works, but I use Chrome as my main browser and I don't really want to use Safari as a "dedicated 4chan browser".

It works with an older version of Chrome on Linux, so it has to be some Mac or Chrome on Mac specific shit.
>>
>>51720359
>drinking coffee
>paying $3 for a cup of coffee
>>
>>51720651
It will appear once more, although smaller. Also, these emails from Jimmy Wales are fucking gold.
>Subject: Anon - Let's end it
U wot
>>
>>51720897

i use chrome and get clickable captchas every time

maybe if you stopped being autistic and changing your userstring or other addons shit it owuldnt happen
>>
>>51720775
I'm not quite sure you understand how donating works. You'll get there when you earn your own money and move out of the basement though :*>
>>
>>51720978

ive never seen someone asking for donations use a threat with it while also openly acknolegding they could already implament a way of income that wouldnt cost anyone money, yet then turn around and try to use current political topics to then act like they're patrician for not choosing that method and instead demanding money every month

>the default is monthly payment
>>
>>51720959
The only add-on I have is ABP

I get clickable captchas for threads, but for reporting I always get text captcha, no exception.
>>
>>51721065
That's not your fault, moot uses legacy captchas there (you can turn them on for quick reply too in settings)
>>
>>51721372
But as I said, the legacy captchas have now become impossible to solve for me (as in they ALWAYS report wrong captcha when I try to solve them).
>>
>>51720683
>not using Safari on OSX
>>
stop whining about a free service with no ads
>>
>>51721403
I don't because I use Chrome on my Android phone and on my Linux work station, and I like the autosyncing of history and bookmarks and login sessions etc. Also, I don't particularly like the Safari interface, I find it counter-intuitive and confusing.
>>
>>51721415
Americans prefer ads than targeted campaigns. Hell, in the US it's even common to wear clothes with giant logos and ads now.
>>
I bet you visited Wikipedia a dozen times today you self entitled cunt
>>
>>51721444
I already know that most Americans are brainwashed by corporations into liking ads.
>>
>no jimbo

Yeah you're getting shit wikipedia
>>
I don't see any banners on my web browser.
>>
Thanks for the thread OP, I just went and donated to Wikipedia for the first time ever. Felt good.
>>
>>51721415

>passively accept thinly veiled threats for money instead of just putting ads and acting like its a better option
>>
A not-for-profit website asking for donations?! Blasphemy!
>>
>>51721444
>now
It's been like that for decades.
>>
>>51721646
>"we are completely reliant on donations, pls donate so that we can remain ad free"
>threat
Not everyone want ads, you fucking subhuman american
>>
>>51721655

>>51721646

jesus christ i know /g/ cant be this fucking ignorant and unable to see the logic behind the anger of wikipedia's begging compared to anyone else who already tried ads rather than stick out all this time for DECADES and then suddently finding a cheap way to start asking for money cause of the NSA "scary stories"
>>
>>51721680
Not to my recollection, it's become significantly worse the latest years. People openly wearing apparel with huge logos and slogans on them. It wasn't like this 15 years ago, when the same type of clothing was used mostly as training clothes.
>>
>>51721711
>anger
>>51721646
>threat

Why would you read emotions into statements? Are you a female? Is the banner "wrong" not because of the actual content but "how he said it"?
>>
>>51721681

>we could totally make a shit ton more than just 3$ without asking you for money

>trying to then turn it around on the end user to feel guilty and want to give money cause of how admirable jimmy wales "morals" are

the same morals that originally said "everyone should have access to free knowledge"

if we wanted to pay we'd just use the other fucking option of paying the library of congress for access
>>
>>51720683
Passes aren't donations. You are buying a product when you buy a pass. If it was a donation, everyone would be able to post captcha free.
>>
>>51721718
>It wasn't like this 15 years ago
Yes it was, young one.
>>
>>51721749
what

the guys you quoted are crazy but tone of voice is a real thing dude. i'm sure a smart man like yourself understands sarcasm for example.
>>
>use it for free, no ads
>complain about donations
>ads start appearing
>complain about ads
wew lad
>>
If I can't use it as a source for my academic research why should I pay them real money? Maybe sending them a hot check would be better?
>>
>>51721791
>tone of voice
>in fucking web banner
Jesus Christ, you ARE a menstruating cunt, aren't you?

>>51721767
>passes aren't donations
Yes they are

>You are buying a product when you buy a pass. If it was a donation, everyone would be able to post captcha free.
It's called extortion, anon. Why else would passes be non-transferrable to other IP addresses for example?

>inb4 you can change the IP
Yes, but not seamlessly

>>51721781
Only for niggers and trailer trash, now even middle class do it.
>>
File: laughing_girls.jpg (44 KB, 446x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing_girls.jpg
44 KB, 446x400
>>51720683
>he doesn't know about the audio captcha
>>
>>51720359
>SJWpedia
>>
>>51721805

we'd simply block the fucking ads

they konw it, so they're trying to jump the gun an use popular current NSA tropes to circumvent saying the REAL reason they dont wanna rely on ads

also theres probably a tehcnicall reason based on how a wiki page has to be formed and written and without a complete change, there would be no way to circumvent the modern javascripting to block any type of ads

now a days the only ways around that is an outright stopgap like Pintrest where you literally cant scroll further even if you use ublock to erase the dark grey overlay and "sign up for more" part the page still stops

another way would be out-right counting the number of pages you visit each day and hardlocking it like a file host
>>
>>51720359
Just run ads wikipedia
We will block them all anyway.
>>
>>51721833

everytime you go to a library they beg you for money and complain about coffee prices

why should an online library be any different?

infact those same libraries also offer free interenet, which you dont get with wikipedia, unless you're at an establishment with free wifi

i bet you think internet should be free for everyone too huh
>>
>>51721036
>wouldnt cost anyone money,
yes, that way is called ads
Maybe your mum pays for your sli gaymen rig but that's not how you finance large servers
>>
>>51721860

>enter the numbers

>chhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhIVEchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhshhhhhhhhhhhhhTEENhhhhshshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhOURsheeeeeeeeeeeeOOdkkkkkkkkkkkkTEEN

>so much easier than clicking the mountains!
>>
>>51721892
>we'd simply block the fucking ads
There are plenty of counter-adblock measures in place already, and they are intrusive as fuck.
>>
>>51721914

>i was referencing ads
>>
>>51721892
Are you fucking insane? None of your suggestions would be preferable to current donation begging campaigns.
>>
>>51721990

exactly, thats why they're trying to trump up these patronizing stories to try an avoid it

cause they know if they did that nobody would use it anymore

remember just 2 years ago when they had those sandy hook photoshopped pics of random "employees" of different genders and races with some bullshit story about how much they love editing wiki pages

before they went to this "lets not waste your time, we get it...."
>>
>>51721885
>Isn't irrationally right-wing biased
>S-Sjw r-right /pol/ hehe
>>
maybe wikipedia wouldn't run out of money so fast if they stopped paying $3 for a coffee
>>
>>51722059
>pics of random "employees" of different genders and races with some bullshit story about how much they love editing wiki pages
yes, you realized how patronizing and inane ads are. Yet Wikipedia actually has a product worth supporting unlike 99% of other ads
>>
>>51721912
But academic establishments will take the research done at a library seriously. Using wikipedia would flunk me.
>>
>>51720417
The part where they're biased as fuck, and purposefully muddle and ruin articles?

Maybe that?
>>
>>51720359
Not supporting Wikis way of editing.

Sorry Wiki, you are nothing but shit atm.
>>
>Implying they aren't just doing this because they know people will just block ads
>>
>>51722127
Any good Wikipedia article contains plenty of legitimate source references.
>>
>>51722110

>wikepedia has been around for almost 20 years
>all of a sudden within the last 5 they have trouble paying server rent
>now suddenly the traffic spiked and requires additional funding

or

Jimmy is a fucking jew and jumped on this NSA / ad political hot topic with Google and others to try an pat themselves on the back and avoid contravention as ppl wonder how the fuck one of the most trafficked sites to Google that also has no ads is able to sustain itself

>insert that fucking indian in a sweater with a shirt an tie under it who "loved helping out editing wiki pages"
>pls give us money

>the cheapest you can give is 3 dollars
>it then jumps in ridiculous increments
>the default appearance has the monthly payment option already selected
>have to search just to find a sub-3 dollar 1 time only payment option
>zero transparency on their financial books
>taking a photoshopped pic's statement at face value
>not for profit which means they literally dont have to tell anyone by law where their money goes
>>
>>51722127

https://safe1.britannica.com/registrations2/signup.do?partnerCode=EBOPHPSUB_LP_MDL_C
>>
>>51722134
>secondary references are biased as fuck and they always delete my articles about how jet fuel can't melt steel beams
Fuck off back to conservapedia
>>
>>51722207
Sure they do. Now please explain this to your 60 year old professor who's trying to fail you because the administration told him Wikipedia use = rape.
>>
>>51720715

boards.4chan.org##.center > div
boards.4chan.org##.center
>>
>>51722216
>>wikepedia has been around for almost 20 years
>>all of a sudden within the last 5 they have trouble paying server rent
>>now suddenly the traffic spiked and requires additional funding
They require additional funding because the government fundings they used to get stopped a couple of years ago. Seriously, how do people not know this?

Also
>hurr durr illogical increments
You can manually type in the amount, one-time, monthly or annual.
>>
>>51722255
The point wasn't whether or not you could hide it, the point was that 4chan has a giant fucking banner naging about donations.
>>
>>51722266

>were ripping off the goverment on tax loops
>instead of going the obvious route
>create a patronizing campaign
>>
>>51722216
>site becomes one of the most popular sites on the internet
>Needs more server capacities
MUST BE NSA EVERYONE
JEWS JEWS JEWS
>>
>>51722248
You obviously can't cite the Wikipedia article; you have to cite the source directly.
>>
File: 234564582.png (72 KB, 1583x657) Image search: [Google]
234564582.png
72 KB, 1583x657
archive.org have got it right, I'm donating to them instead.
>>
>>51722331
Then why would I pay money for it? Wikipedia becomes a glorified search engine at that point.
>>
>>51722302
>hurr durr X sucks
>"but that's simply not true also what about Y"
>herp derp Y sucks

Basically, you just hate on Wikipedia for no apparent reason, aren't you?
>>
>>51722389
But it's EXACTLY the same as Wikipedia...

>>51722302
>ads and company funding = obvious route for a fucking INDEPENDENT encyclopedia
Americans, please...
>>
>>51722406
Wikipedia is much better at presenting detailed information in an easily readable format, compared to a list of search results which may or may not even be relevant.
>>
>>51722313

>the server capacity increments they've added over the years suddenly spiked beyond projections
>now need to jew the consumers with threads of advertising

you realize how stupid that sounds

thats like opening a park in a city, paying for it yourself, not asking the tax payers to fund it

then a few years down the road start putting a guy at the entrance dressed in a fucking faggot hipster microsoft employee outfit and saying how much he loves using the park but he can jog in the morning there without a cup of coffee first and those cost 4 dollars at starbucks and everyone knows thats the only place you can get cafeenated beverages

so then as people are about to leave he then says "you wouldnt want your kids having ot play in a park with a bunch of ads all over the place, right?" if you pay me, then those ads dont have to appear!

then a few years later when that doesnt work enough they start having tiered access

if you spend money on a Premium Park Pass you can go in an out any time you want

but everyone else has to wait and only gets 30 minutes a day of park access, but you also have to wait in line as this indian with hipster black framed glasses tells you about his child hood memories of playing in a park without ads while wearing a sweater vest and guilting you into paying

you have to wait in another line on the way out with the same spiel, but the race and gender of the person changes and rotates at each station

meanwhile, just allowing the name to be purchased and having it called ATT Park would solve everyones issue
>>
>>51722552
>>>/pol/ is that way, americunt

No one except you like ads, and donation begging isn't even remotely annoying as intrusive counter-adblock measures.
>>
>>51722389

except for the part where they start conveniently "losing archives" of sites that show things they don't like morally or someone else tells them about

there are already a number of "mirrors" for sites that 404 rather than showing what was there and you wind up only getting maybe 1 of the dozen it claims to have mirrored
>>
>>51720809

> Buying overpriced coffee from a chain

> Not making you own glorious perfection for pennies.
>>
Why don't they just use ads? Look how desperate they are, is that not proof enough that adblock fags are cancer and the donation model is kill? Wikipedia isn't getting donations and you sperg lords would shit yourselves if they used ads. I predict a paywall
>>
>>51720359
> Doesn't want to spend money for a great project
I know why the Germans gased greedy jews
>>
>>51722552
>meanwhile, just allowing the name to be purchased and having it called ATT Park would solve everyones issue
Jeez, if you were actually over 18 you'd know that a similar model was started ages ago by a big company and it failed. Why? Because it wasn't free as in freedom like wikipedia is. I'll just ignore their recent way of editing to make this point.
Maybe you could use proper arguments instead of weird analogies no one cares to read?
Also this:
>>51722266
>>
>>51722674

cuz current political hot topics and corporate PR attempts ot distance themselves from any suspicion

just like how every fucking mom and pop website has that annoying WHY WE USE COOKIES AN ITS TOTALLY NOTTO SPY ON U!
>>
ITT: People actually wanting ads aka NSA/Jewgle tracking
>>
>>51722707

>wikipedia is free as in freedum
>except now it costs money and guilt trips you into paying

does Gentoo have a popup of fucking Gaben asking you for money each time too?

guess what, ABP tried that shit recently with that fucking same paragraph of patronizing text and the pic of that faggot and his fat wife and Ublock was created because of it

people will fucking copypasta wikipedia so fast it wouldnt matter
>>
>>51722705

>project

20 years after proof of concept and put into action stops becoming a project

otherwise stop asking for fucking money till you stop giving up 3 dollar coffees and are truely living on PBJ sandwiches before you ask us for money

rather than you and your "backers" noticing your bottom line dipping into your 4th house mortgage and suddenly need additional income
>>
>>51722739

if they actually addressed the REAL reason they dont want to rely on ads, id have more respect for them

instead, the best way to save face is not even bring up the "ABP is stealing" and also patting themselves on the back for "we're not selling your info like other sites!" bullshit stories

>w-we respect your privacy, d-dont MAKE us have to use ads ;~;
>>
>>51722751
>except now it costs money and guilt trips you into paying
yeah, it doesn't cost money. Maybe read up on donating on wikipedia?
Besides you could get your donations back thru taxes if you actually were a working man which you clearly aren't.
>does Gentoo have a popup of fucking Gaben asking you for money each time too?
people will fucking copypasta wikipedia so fast it wouldnt matter
Ok, I'm just going to ignore that you compared an OS only neckbeared autists use to one of the top 10 most frequented sites in the world.
Back to /pol/ please
>>
>>51722783

>20 years after proof of concept and put into action stops becoming a project

Maybe a part of the project is to keep the servers running
>>
>>51722832
You're insane.
>>
>>51722832
The real reason they don't want ads is because they want to remain independent. It says so in the banner text, but everything is a jewish conspiracy to you isn't it?
>>
>>51722244
>I literally cannot stop taking the liberal propaganda cock up my anus
>>
>>51722866
>>51722865
I think we just got trolled. Gotta give it to you: I got kinda mad
>>
>>51722866

>it says so in the banner

>jimmy actually wrote that paragraph and published it

>not some faceless team of PR staff who saw that previous attempts to "appeal to the end user with sympathetic stories" didnt work

>some new hipster fag just outta college thinks hes "spicing things up" by just "tellin it straight", "americans are tired of lies", "just cut the crap an get to it", "lets not finagle about an treat me like a real human"

>o-okay anon, "we get it..."

i garuntee they literally called it the "we get it" campaign internally on email chains

>this is great, the hard working anon will respect us now!

>we're not trying to swindle them with fancy talk, we're shooting it straight, lookin' em in the eye!

remember to keep spouting loudly about shit they assume you care about, for the core reason to donate

>L-LOOK WE DIDNT THROW THE NEWSPAPER IN THE YARD INSTEAD WE PUT IT IN THE MAILBOX

>so that means you should now subscribe to our newspaper rather than those others that throw it on the driveway which takes 2 seconds to pick up an isnt an inconvenience at all
>>
>>51722965
I'm not even going to bother reading your schizophrenic greentext conversation with yourself.
>>
>>51722965
you sound like a moron
>>
>>51722965
can you actually write a straight sentence without making weird cross-referencing greentexts and inane analogies?
>>
>>51722998

>same exact inane analogies Jimmy spouts for raesons to "respect them and their morals" so KEEP PAYING SO WE CAN "stay independant and not sell your data!"

>also no pesky ads! (which we know 99% of ad dependant sites are failues cause of ABP so instead of going their routes of then publically attacking ABP users as criminals we'll avoid that and instead use this new hot button topic of NSA syping and user data selling!)

cant wait to see the next fucking campaign restructure
>>
>>51722984
>>51722993
>>51722998
>Triple posting, the post
>>
ill just leave this year

just last year and they have articles going back each year about the same shit

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/12/01/penniless_and_desperate_wikipedia_sits_on_60m_cash/
>>
>>51720623
*donatos
>>
>>51720359
I hope wikipedia disappears. It is cancer.
>>
>>51722965

My dog can't open a mailbox fag, I want the paper that throws that shit on the ground where Killer can reach it.

Checkmate athiests.
>>
>donated 5 bucks 4 years ago
>they send me emails asking for more every other week for 4 years
>>
File: 34.png (71 KB, 300x218) Image search: [Google]
34.png
71 KB, 300x218
>>51724009
How hard is it to label them as spam, and then unsubscribe for a good measure.

I bet you still didn't delete any of them either, loser.
>>
>>51724055
Well the deal is I don't use that email for anything other than spam at this point
>>
>>51720547
'/g/ - Bitching About /g/'
>>
Just rewrite your shitty application in anything that is not PHP and you won't need 5 billion servers.
>>
>>51720677
of course Adblock doesnt block this, it's not an ad
>>
>/g/ hates ads
>/g/ also hates fund raising campaigns
Freetards, everyone.
>>
i can't use it in college research article so why should i donate
>>
>>51726309
This
>>
>>51724240
Apparently /g/ loves ads, according to this thread. At least that schizo "jews ruin everything! RUINED!" fellow.

>>51726309
>not using Wikipedia as a reference resource
You deserve to fail
>>
>>51726309

> Professors helping to secure their monopoly on paid periodicals subscriptions.

Fuck that noise.
>>
Jesus christ wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexism_in_the_technology_industry

>In a Lab Coat Culture, scientists are expected to work long hours that often extend outside a normal 40-hour work week. Women find this environment particularly hostile because it would require them to compete with others who choose to work longer hours.
>Geek Culture is believed to be a product of engineering schools whereby arrogant "alpha males" with poor interpersonal skills avoid women.[2] See also: brogrammer

and it only gets worse
>>
>>51728147
I don't mean to sound like a SJW or whatever, but...

that first issue isn't just a sexist thing, but an ageist or whatever thing. and you could argue it's discriminatory against cultures where people take care of their families (esp. parents and grandparents).

I'm not necessarily calling bullshit or whatever the opposite of that is, just pointing out that the argument that this "lab coat culture", whatever that means, does indeed select for people who are young (and therefore able to work long days) and unattached to parental and familial obligations (generally women in the former, and non-white in the latter).

A woman might have kids that she can't just *not* take care of. Similarly, a hispanic person might not be able to escape his or her obligation to take care of parents and grandparents (whereas in white culture it's generally okay for us to talk to our parents only occasionally once we leave the house). And if you're in your 30s, with kids and a wife? Coming home at 9pm or later every night disrupts your home life pretty severely.
>>
>>51722895
Reality has a liberal bias.
>>
>>51728147
Why don't you do something about it?
>>
>>51728228
>it's discriminatory against cultures where people take care of their families
Considering those cultures are chink cultures, and chinks are doing better than whites, I'd say you're argument is complete horseshit.
>>
>>51728307
The example I gave later was hispanics, but I don't mind taking a swing at the cultures which are "more represented" in tech, since you're so acerbic and it doesn't seem like you'll think of this on your own.

Chinese and Indian tech workers - especially in the US - are disconnected from their families back home, often starting their own families. As the patriarchs and eldest in their households, their obligations to elder family members are limited (in other words, the parents they might otherwise take care of are back in China and India).

Most of the households in India and China are also relatively dense - high populations stem from large families - so it's possible for a tech worker to go do work (and let's not kid ourselves, shitty underpaid work) and leave taking care of mom and dad to one of their brothers or sisters or their wife or whatever.
>>
>>51728361
It's also somewhat well-documented that Chinese tech workers (who predominantly live in cities) have left their families in small towns to live in those cities. I wouldn't describe it as similar to immigrating all the way to the US, but they've also broken off from their families (although everything I've read on these workers suggests they send a lot of money back home, living in pretty destitute apartments to get by).
>>
>>51728361
>disconnected from their families back home
But are still connected to their families here. My Vietnamese neighbors next door have 3 households living in a single story house.
Their children are in finance and mechanical engineering.
Your theory of cultural transformation is complete horsecrap. Especially when considering it helps to have the very same grandparents there to help raise children while you work long hours.
>The example I gave later was hispanics
So I refuted your example with another example, and you got pissy at me.
You are a Democrat aintcha? Liberals can be smart, Democrats just have no concept of actual cause and effect.
>>
>>51720359
2£ for a fucking cup of coffe where do they live?!
>>
>>51728421
Maybe the cultural argument doesn't apply equally to every member of the culture, or to every culture in the same way. I'm sure if I made a sweeping generalization about white culture some German would insist that I was too conservative and some Latvian would insist that I was too liberal and some Dutchman would say that I was too whatever. Maybe Vietnamese familial notions of duty and obligation allow for their young to go do engineering and shit.

The idea that tight-knit family structure *must* have the same influence on all cultures exhibiting that characteristic is stupid. Every culture has some notion of honor, and it manifests itself in myriad ways; the same is true of obligation to family, and honesty, and all that crap.

As for your example, I was only responding that I gave the hispanic example because it seemed like you responded in a knee-jerk fashion without getting to the end of my post and engaging with the tangible example that I gave, instead cherry-picking a case that you felt was an easier target. I only wanted to prevent you from weaseling out of tackling a harder case, the way you seem to be doing now by lobbing feeble ad hominem attacks at me.
>>
>>51728490
>The idea that tight-knit family structure *must* have the same influence on all cultures exhibiting that characteristic is stupid
you disproved yourself. Because of this fact, which I agree with BTW, you are dead wrong saying that the long hours works against cultures where the elders live with their children. You just said this, and somehow use that as a point of intellectual triumph.
The cognitive dissonance is strong in this one.
>I only wanted to prevent you from weaseling out of tackling a harder case, the way you seem to be doing now by lobbing feeble ad hominem attacks at me.
Hey, the fact that you got pissy when I presented competing evidence sorta makes you the insuffereable cunt here.
>>
File: tmp_13767-56d-473146050.jpg (3 KB, 165x115) Image search: [Google]
tmp_13767-56d-473146050.jpg
3 KB, 165x115
>>51728440
>a cup of boiled water poured into a paper cup through a coffee filter containing ground & roasted beans transported from ecuador, done for you while you browse their free wifi
>theoretically infinite stirrers, cardboard cup holders, plastic lids, and assorted paper packets of cream and sugar
>free tables and power
How much would you value all that overhead?
Well, I'd speculate that price seems competitive.
>>
File: 1444356856710.gif (301 KB, 270x271) Image search: [Google]
1444356856710.gif
301 KB, 270x271
>>51720359
Yemeni or Sulawesi?
>>
>>51728440
How much is that in real money?
>>
>2.55 for a venti coffee
>get to sit in the comfy recliners
>watch that jb ass walk through
>flirt with the barista for free stuff

Ain't bad at all.
>>
>>51720846
If that happens you could always fork it or go off to a mirror site. The underlying software and content is all freely licensed
>>
>cup of coffee
>2 bongbucks
Fucking hell, that's expensive for some water pressurized through some ground coffee. I pay 0.60€ for a very nice cup of coffee at my local coffee shop.
>>
>>51720766
Is true, just look at the employees of wikimedia and their salaries
>>
Daily reminder that hosting it's less than 1% of Wikimedia's expenses
>>
>>51723088
Basically this
>>
>>51728283
You can't, a bunch of editors friends odd whoever did the article will van you
In the Cultural Marxism article they came together to delete it, despite it being there since 2006 and Jimbo comic on to try people to discuss it a little more to just be called s monarch
>>
>>51720359
I just donated $5 to Wikipedia. First time I ever have before.

Seriously guy, it's not a big deal. You don't have to donate. You can probably block it. Or you could just ignore it, like I do.

Two GBP is chump change anyway, that's all they're asking for.
>>
>>51720630
>>51720741
>>51720766

Wikipedia's profit continues to outpace its costs, so you don't even really have to bother shelling out your precious shekels. It's not hard to ignore a campaign they run maybe four times a year.
>>
>>51728268
Reality actually as very conservative bias.
>>
>>51720359

I began actively blocking that banner after the GG and Sexism in the Tech Industry debacle. A significant portion of my clients think I'm a female because of my name and I've literally only experienced reverse/benevolent sexism as a result of that.
>>
>Please donate to keep Jimbo's gravy train going! Choo choo!
>>
>>51720846
>or you only get to see like 10 pages and then it locks you out
They actually do this for one Australian news website.
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.