[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Ubuntu a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 2000px-Tux.svg.png (458 KB, 2000x2320) Image search: [Google]
2000px-Tux.svg.png
458 KB, 2000x2320
Which Linux Distro to install?

>>inb4 installgentoo.com
>>
OP here.

I'll probably install Linux Mint, but it's based on Ubuntu. But theres also a Debian version of it.
>>
>>51718567
How much experience do you have with linux?
>>
If its babbys first linux go with ubuntu or mint. I prefer mint, but under the hood theyre really similar. If you start to feel like the OS is bloated you can start looking for something more advanced.
>>
File: 1427256389848.jpg (129 KB, 665x632) Image search: [Google]
1427256389848.jpg
129 KB, 665x632
Unless you deal with web servers directly, command line style, everything you learn on linux is useless.
>>
>>51718600
Not that much. I am currently using a Debian based Distro but want to change. The most difficult thing I know is how to install programs.
But I want to get used to Linux. Windows is shit.
>>
>>51718613
>programming is useless on Linux
>>
Get a Mac from what I hear it's pretty much a nice version of Linux. Has a command terminal and everything
>>
>>51718613
>>51718656
>>51718578

Jesus Christ..
>>
>>51718647
Linux is excellent for programming, only reason to get a mac is to try to look cool or that you're a sheep who would buy anything with the apple logo on it.
>>
Everything that isnt Arch Linux is just a silly jew meme tbhqhwyfamily

ubuntu, fedora, gentoo, debian, mint a shit
>>
File: 1449175245231.png (1 MB, 639x4513) Image search: [Google]
1449175245231.png
1 MB, 639x4513
>>51718732
Yes, because as we all know, arch linux is an elite hacker OS that only higher evolved beings can comprehend.
>>
>>51718567
Opensuse is also great, but it has lmao no packages and when it comes to dicking around when you're new Mint/Ubuntu have more resources to help you if you hit a wall and a larger community. Arch can be appealing because they're a close second in this regard but, seriously, don't install Arch until you know your way around another distro at least.
>>
>>51718769
>someone was autistic enough to make that
lmao non-arch users are such scum
>>
>>51718860
Probably an Arch user made it
>>
>>51718860
It's not autism when that is how your average archfag acts.
>>
>>51718567
get devian or ubuntu ,nothing better the apt-get for me
>>
>>51718567
>>51718628
keep using ubuntu/mint and:
- learn how to use a shell (redirecting and pipes, readline keybindings, history, globbing and variable expansion, branching and return values)
- learn a cli editor (vim/emacs/nano whatever)
- read man pages of some basic tools (grep, find, dd, ssh, netcat, sed, ifconfig, gcc, make...)
- learn python (a lot of software you'll use is written in python, being able to understand and change its behaviour is very nice)
- learn how to edit common configuration files (fstab, sudoers, hosts, resolv, sshd, vsftpd)

now you are ready to use another distro and discover you really don't need another distro because they are all the same, except ubuntu/mint are less a pain in the ass to install and mantain and rarely you have to compile (and when you want to compile usually the dependencies for ubuntu are listed in the readme)

you are welcome
>>
>>51718732
Gentoo is literally arch but compiled from source with more options. It's only a meme to you because you're SHIT

see >>51718769

- posted from arch linux
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.