[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Install Arch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11
File: Install_Arch.jpg (505 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
Install_Arch.jpg
505 KB, 2170x1070
So, this is the second thread about install arch infographic image

Ideas for improvements and fixes are welcome
ideas about style or graphic mistakes, typos,... anything you notice, not just progress of the installation

>Changelog from previous thread >>51680116
pointed out that EFI partition needs to be set as EFI type, anyone can confirm its not working without it?
fixed typo in mkfs.fat F32
changed from installing npt package for time sync to use use systemd (not sure yet if its not per account only)
fixed typos in default drivers and opengl capitalization
removed xterm and starting of the raw xorg with startx
switched just xfce install to table with most of the DEs and their packages listed
switch from SLiM login manager to LightDM
changed pacman -Syy to -Sy after adding repos in section 4
added Zshell + Prezto
changed large 1.2.3.4. font for a different one
>>
>issues
should mark # and $ to distinguish root vs user? only thing where its really an issue is changing shell from bash to zsh
fix somehow section names, the vertical ones
infinality bundle fonts wont install easily all in one go, conflict with two fonts it offers
DEs are not complete there should be Enlightenment and several WM,.. but feels crowded and unnecessary
>>
what about...
kernel
systemd
initramfs
udev
modprobe
xorg.conf
gtk
aur
shell
network manager
libnotify
depmod
mime types
shadow
encrypton
gpg
journald
firmwares
initcpio...
>>
>>51715002
you have to be more specific
>>
>setting locale with just localectl
>not uncommenting and generating the locales first

A new day, a new shitty issue in this shitty guide.
Proper, constantly updated guide:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_guide
>>
>>51714933
#mkinitcpio -p linux
#umount -R /mnt, don't deviate from the wiki
-Revise your locale section
-Install gvfs for auto-mounting usb (for Xfce4)
-There's no need to change default swappiness
-There is literally no need for these bloat : zsh.
-xorg-server and xorg-init comes with Xfce/Gnome/Cinnamon/KDE/Mate already
-Suggest wpa_supplicant wireless_tools gnome_keyring networkmanager network-manager-applet instead

Change color scheme to classic black on white
>>
>>51715076
yes, it was mainly choose as its done on a single line in terminal
saving space
and in first versions there was reflector used to organize mirrors by rating and speed
and it needed a lot of rows so shit was tall
but I replaced it with the single optional line in section 1

anyway, is there any actual issue with the way in the picture? or you are just annoyed that stuff is done differently than you are used to?
>>
>>51715103
test your guide yourself
>>
>>51715103

>done differently than you are used to
If you think that generating locales after installing them is "different" and something not everyone should do, then you have no place making such "informational" guides.
>>
>>51715095
#mkinitcpio -p linux
#umount -R /mnt, don't deviate from the wiki
to what point and purpose young missy?

>-Revise your locale section
did you have issue?

>-There's no need to change default swappiness
Your argument why is that? Wiki recommends it and its in performance section.
just above you argue that wiki does it so should guide

Please people try to contain your autism and treat this as opportunity to learn,
not as something that tells you that you have been doing things wrong all this time

>>51715122
I did, it works fine in virtual machines

>>51715129
and yet here we are...
>>
>>51714933
the first time I tried to install arch, I accidentially installed the wrong prorpietary drivers for my nvidia graphics card and couldn't see anything anymore so I had to start the whole installation over
is there anything like mhwd for arch?
>>
File: 1304376955947.png (457 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1304376955947.png
457 KB, 600x450
>>51715157
>Not creating initrd
>calling people young missy

>Install locale first
>Generate afterwards

>Bothering about swap on modern PCs

>Please people try to contain your autism and treat this as opportunity to learn,
not as something that tells you that you have been doing things wrong all this time
>learn from his guide

>you are just annoyed that stuff is done differently than you are used to
>Different than the actual wiki

>He makes a guide

You are not improving, neither did your shitty software recommendation. Go fix the wiki if you are so confident that you are right.
>>
File: aspie.gif (2 MB, 484x272) Image search: [Google]
aspie.gif
2 MB, 484x272
>>51715217
reading up bit on locale now and will be changed with the generation stuff
guess when I am sticking to default I never had to deal with locale issues

from wiki
>As mkinitcpio was run on installation of linux with pacstrap, most users can use the defaults provided in mkinitcpio.conf.

so calm down there or actually tell us why you are bothered, whats wrong

>Bothering about swap on modern PCs
you see this is the problem, this is why its hard to distinguish between good advice and retard being aspie as fuck. How did you come up with the idea that only modern PCs are targeted by arch?
Why are YOU not going to edit wiki with that bullshit?

>inb4 I was just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>51715213
>something like mhwd for arch
ayy

You could've install your proper driver and removed the other one
>>
>>51714933
All of the basic settings should be done while in chroot, that way you have verified working internet access, drivers and packages that come with the live media.

>partition disks
>edit mirrors
>install pacstrap
>fstab
>chroot
>bootloader
>hostname
>username
>time settings
>keyboard settings
>swap
>minor pacman settings

You should also add sudo and /etc/sudoers, uncomment wheel.
>exit, umount -R /mnt
>reboot
>configure desktop from normal user
>>
>>51715341
not without seeing anything
The wrong driver meant there was no image comming out of the graphics card anymore
>>
File: 1449230875.png (3 KB, 363x117) Image search: [Google]
1449230875.png
3 KB, 363x117
>>51715371
>that way you have verified working internet access,
not sure how that differs
actually not having internet access and then having it after few commands is more of a verification isnt it, than having and then after few commands still having it

or I am missing your point here

>drivers and packages that come with the live media
no idea what you mean, live media is for boot, shits downloaded straight from repos
as I understand it, you can use live media from january 2015 and it would be same installation and from this month

>You should also add sudo and /etc/sudoers, uncomment wheel.
it is there section 2. right after creating user
>exit, umount -R /mnt
if you watch arch shutting down with reboot...
you will sometimes see its umounting stuff automaticly... so is there some huge benefit or big danger of leaving it for it?
>>
>>51715381
then drop into chroot on live media and install the right one, christ
>>
>>51715396
Do you not actually understand how the install process or live media works?

god damn it why are you even making a guide, the arch wiki does this perfectly fine but actually knows what it's talking about
>>
>>51715338
>Users may create any number of initramfs images with a variety of different configurations. The desired image must be specified for the bootloader, often in its configuration file. After changes are made to the mkinitcpio configuration file, the image must be regenerated. For the stock Arch Linux kernel, linux, this is done by running this command with root privileges: # mkinitcpio -p linux
What's wrong with you?

>How did you come up with the idea that only modern PCs are targeted by arch?
You never said int the guide setting swappiness is OPTIONAL
>>
>>51715418
Well do tell me where I am wrong, I told you how I understand it.
You on the other hand thinking shit is being copied from the live usb is quite hilarious
>>
>>51715418
>not realizing by this point he's plain retarded
>>
>>51715425
>Users may create any number of initramfs images with a variety of different configurations. The desired image must be specified for the bootloader, often in its configuration file. After changes are made to the mkinitcpio configuration file, the image must be regenerated. For the stock Arch Linux kernel, linux, this is done by running this command with root privileges: # mkinitcpio -p linux

And?
Do you like have trouble understanding what you are quoting and how its absolutely not necessary to do during normal install?

>You never said int the guide setting swappiness is OPTIONAL
which part isnt optional? is locale or timezone settings not optional?
is going ext4 single partition not optional?
is going grub not optional?
are you not just now above arguing for unnecessary optional thing to be included?

The more you talk the more autism is leaking :[
>>
File: 1429177114622.jpg (12 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1429177114622.jpg
12 KB, 258x245
>following a guide to install linux
>>
>>51715472
>manjaro
https://manjaro.github.io/
>antergos
https://antergos.com/
>architect
https://sourceforge.net/projects/architect-linux/
>helmuthdu AUI
https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui

anyway, to have fine control over stuff you often need to go to less userfriendly enviroments
>>
>>51715472
is this frog laughing or crying in despair? also such weird teeth, is it british?
>>
>>51715396
>if you watch arch shutting down with reboot...you will sometimes see its umounting stuff automaticly
umount -R /mnt will enable the installer to detect any busy partitions

>Timezone is optional, swappiness in not
>partitioning is optional, swappiness is not
>"Going grub" optional, swappiness is not
>Context was about if the PC is low-end
>>
>>51715463
He's right about swap. Swap is only relevant for <5% of the target audience (and probably not a good idea for the 95%), while things like installing a bootloader are necessary for having a working system.
>>
>>51715657
I assure you that umount on reboot detect busy partitions as well and theres waiting
also this is from wiki
>Partitions will be unmounted automatically by systemd on shutdown. You may however unmount manually as a safety measure:

yes if shits hangs users could go fuser and check shit... but whatever, just plain restart will suffice for most

>>51715668
edit wikipage then see if they let you fly with it?
I know swap is not really needed for most, thats why even if its set I am putting there swappiness setting really low to avoid using it... but I assure you that when I posted only partial guides, like only section 1. there was grumble on /g/ because no swap partition in the pic
>>
>>51715726
Then at least put a note that you should ONLY use swap if you have <2G RAM.
>>
>>51715745
will see, got some height requirements problem there in sections two now with fixed locale and added rows
probably will cut out swapon, its get on on restart
>>
To install GRUB permanently you have to jump through a few hoops

1. Install GRUB as instructed on the Arch Wiki
2. Go to /boot/EFI
3. Rename folder "Boot" to "bkp" or anything else
4. Rename "grub" to "Boot"
5. Rename file within the new Boot folder to the exact name of the file in the bkp folder

I noticed that in a VM GRUB kept getting sort of disabled after powering the virtual machine off. This made GRUB start up regardless.

Keep in mind this EFI stuff depends highly on motherboard. It hasn't got a proper standard AFAIK.
>>
>>51715796
then dont use grub for uefi mobo maybe?
>>
>>51715796
if you have multiple oses to boot on uefi just use refind like a normal person
>>
>>51715472
>being a dumb frogposter
>>
File: Install_Arch.jpg (513 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
Install_Arch.jpg
513 KB, 2170x1070
Updated version

>changes:
fixed locale
>pointing out optionality of swap

Thanks for suggestions All.
>>
>>51715894
at least I'm not the dumbo who needs a guide to install arch
>>
>>51715951
why not upload and post a link. So that everyone may have access to the newest version
>>
>>51714933
>things what should be automated and work ootb: the infographic
>>
>>51715979
really, not even archwikis guides?
You just went through packages and man pages until you found pactrap?

>>51716012
it is uploaded and shared...
>>
>>51716130
the first time I just read https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide , first match on google arch install guide.
>>
>>51714933
>Login Manager
Are you people gay or something?
>>
>>51716227
>A display manager, or login manager, is typically a graphical user interface that is displayed at the end of the boot process in place of the default shell.

it was personal decision, I feel like login manager is far more descriptive and fitting than display manager, which to me just seems as really ambiguous term...

or if you are refering to its being present instead of just having .xinitrc and startx... well though I personally dont use any login manager and thats why I chose slim at first, I do understand its benefits for a regular user
>>
>>51716227
>display manager
>binary distro
/g/ is fag central
>>
>>51716372
Display managers are even gayer dude.
>I do understand its benefits for a regular user
A regular user wouldn't really want to install arch though.
>>51716383
>Only alternative to LMs are DMs.
/g/ is truly a retardation central.
>>
File: 1414230915588.jpg (83 KB, 789x720) Image search: [Google]
1414230915588.jpg
83 KB, 789x720
Okay. I ma install arch for the first time. Wish me luck
>>
While we're at the Arch topic, how would you go about cleaning your packages? Like old deps and stuff that's no longer in use? My Arch install is like 2-3 years old and I've got about 2.5k packages installed, probably don't use over half of them ;_;
>>
File: 1426203408215.jpg (2 MB, 6112x2514) Image search: [Google]
1426203408215.jpg
2 MB, 6112x2514
>>51717721
pacman -Qdt
>>
>>51717721
sudo pacman -Rns $(pacman -Qdtq) 

also you might want to run

sudo pacdiff

to deal with new config files
>>
>>51715951
small problem
you uncomment locales in locale.gen not locale.conf
>>
File: Install_Arch.jpg (515 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
Install_Arch.jpg
515 KB, 2170x1070
>>51718221
thats not a small problem at all
fuck me

heres fixed version, thnx
>>
I tried following it but stuck at the infinality fonts part
:: Repository infinality-bundle-fonts
1) otf-heuristica-ib 2) otf-oswald-ib 3) otf-quintessential-ib 4) otf-tex-gyre-ib 5) t1-bh-ib 6) t1-cursor-ib 7) t1-dejavu-ib 8) t1-urw-fonts-ib 9) ttf-bh-ib 10) ttf-caladea-ib 11) ttf-cantoraone-ib
12) ttf-carlito-ib 13) ttf-courier-prime-ib 14) ttf-ddc-uchen-ib 15) ttf-dejavu-ib 16) ttf-droid-ib 17) ttf-droid-nonlatin-ib 18) ttf-faruma-ib 19) ttf-gelasio-ib 20) ttf-heuristica-ib
21) ttf-liberastika-ib 22) ttf-liberation-ib 23) ttf-lohit-assamese-ib 24) ttf-lohit-bengali-ib 25) ttf-lohit-devanagari-ib 26) ttf-lohit-fonts-meta-ib 27) ttf-lohit-gujarati-ib
28) ttf-lohit-gurmukhi-ib 29) ttf-lohit-kannada-ib 30) ttf-lohit-malayalam-ib 31) ttf-lohit-marathi-ib 32) ttf-lohit-nepali-ib 33) ttf-lohit-odia-ib 34) ttf-lohit-punjabi-ib 35) ttf-lohit-tamil-ib
36) ttf-lohit-telugu-ib 37) ttf-merriweather-ib 38) ttf-merriweather-sans-ib 39) ttf-noto-sans-ib 40) ttf-noto-sans-multilang-ib 41) ttf-noto-serif-ib 42) ttf-noto-serif-multilang-ib
43) ttf-opensans-ib 44) ttf-symbola-ib 45) ttf-ubuntu-font-family-ib

Enter a selection (default=all):
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: t1-bh-ib and ttf-bh-ib are in conflict
what do
>>
To the noobs: if you install arch, your shit WILL break, you'll be left with a broken system and will have to reinstall everything again.

Remember: Linux is NOT windows, you should NOT need to format/reinstall, but with arch, you WILL have, because your shit WILL be broken. There is nothing "leet" about arch; quite the contrary, it's a way to measure how stupid you are.
>>
>>51718552
yeah, OP here, that kinda obviously normal now for some reason...

you can download them manually skipping one of the offending ones...

so when it asks you, you go
1 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10
skipping 5

let it go.. and then 10 - 20 and 20 - 30 ,...

I think noto sans and droid and some others are important ones, that you really notice the jump... I would go for all... will maybe sort shit out..

theres some meta packages
ibfonts-meta-base, ibfonts-meta-extended and ibfonts-meta-extended-lt
that maybe contains those or soem shit...
>>
>>51718634
to add to that comment of mine
its normal in meaning that it happened to me today when testing

but it did not happen to me few months back or whenever before... when I installed arch and infinality.. so maybe it will got fixed on their end, but I just find it strange, they must know of the conflict...
>>
>>51718675
>>51718634
OK, OP here
my bad on infinality fonts bundle
I am suppose to install those meta groups
ibfonts-meta-base
ibfonts-meta-extended
ibfonts-meta-extended-lt
>>
File: Install_Arch.jpg (516 KB, 2170x1070) Image search: [Google]
Install_Arch.jpg
516 KB, 2170x1070
OK, infinality installation fixed
as I use date for versioning... xmas eve will come soon
>>
>>51714933
installing yaourt, zsh and lightdm and making a swap file are all not necessary and should be all flagged as optional. These give the idea that installing arch is actually harder and more involved than it actually is.
>>
>>51721577
>lightdm
so if login manager with its whole two steps of pacman -S and systemctl emable would not be there
it would need xinitrc with writing stuff manually in and also creating custom service for logging in to console manually and then starting X.. it would take roughly 2x more space in the guide and would still leave user in console on reboot
lightDM is fine

>yaourt
>zsh
that whole section is optional obviously, users know that, they are already in a working DE at that point, they know other shit is not necessary if they dont want it
>>
File: screen.jpg (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screen.jpg
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>51717541
finished. Great guide OP
>>
>>51724353
>1920x1080
>3.2 MB
>>
>>51724365
it was over 4mb when it was png
>>
Is there a pacman command to revert to a base system?
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.