[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
During my monthly thermal re-pasting, I accidentally broke a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: img_34521[1].jpg (64 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
img_34521[1].jpg
64 KB, 640x480
During my monthly thermal re-pasting, I accidentally broke a bin trying to unbend it after I dropped the CPU.
If I stick it back in the hole will it still work?
If not are there replacement pins available or can it work without the pin?
>>
>monthly thermal paste change
>dropped cpu
>replacement pins

Please tell me this is bait.
>>
>>51712997
it all depends if you have gentoo installed

do you OP?
do you?
>>
>>51713055
I'm running Mint :/
>>
>>51712997
if you have linux installed there's a command to re-enable the broken pin
>>
>>51712997
>>51713066
$ rbpin -A -x [posX] -y [posY]
>>
File: 1447436382984.png (416 KB, 1022x1024) Image search: [Google]
1447436382984.png
416 KB, 1022x1024
>>51712997
>He doesn't even post a picture of said bent pins
>>
Use a toothpick to bend them back, very carefully. Then take the entire thing and shove it up your ass.
>>
Why did you even take the CPU out?
In no instance of repasting any brand of CPU do you actually have to remove the CPU from the motherboard.

Frankly, you deserve to have to buy a new one.
Fools, money, parted.
>>
>>51712997
You dropped it and now its broken buy a new one for your own stupidity.
>>
>>51712997

buy a new one shitlord

otherwise watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA
>>
>>51712997
On the slim chance this isn't bait... if it's a redundant ground or power pin yes. Otherwise no.

Monthly repasting? Like, if you don't, dark spirits will come out of your closet and eat you at night or something? That's the only plausible reason I can think of.
>>
>AMD CPU
And nothing of value was lost
>>
>>51712997
Get out your soldering iron and good luck.
>>
You don't need to repaste every month dude.
>>
>>51713397
Take your clocks and get the fuck out
>>
>>51713476
>not taking your chance to one up ahmed and actually solder your own CPU
>>
>havnt changed the thermal paste since I built the computer 2 years ago
>temps still relatively fine, around 30C

just cant be fucked desu
>>
File: 4.gif (22 KB, 365x288) Image search: [Google]
4.gif
22 KB, 365x288
>>51712997
>During my monthly thermal re-pasting
>my monthly thermal re-pasting
>monthly thermal re-pasting
>thermal re-pasting
>re-pasting
>ever
I laughed, gg OP
>>
My nephew used a CPU missing like 3 pins for a few months. Random BSODs but it worked more or less.

I have no idea how unsafe that was.
>>
>>51712997
You could try to fix it but it might be too autistic for you instead you should install Linux from scratch.
>>
nice troll
>>
you can just bend them back. I had some even break off of my old phenom processor (which I'd dropped a few inches), and I had to drop them in their respective holes in the socket so that the CPU made the pin connection anyway. I lost a couple pins and had to cannibalize new ones off an ancient CPU but - amazingly - I was able to get the CPU working again
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.