[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Installed Ubuntu 12.04 on an old laptop
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: Untitled.png (519 KB, 549x530) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
519 KB, 549x530
When I installed the updates, ubuntu said that it wanted to reboot, so when I did, this came up. What do I do, /g/?
>>
>>51709111
>throw it in the le trash
>>
>>51709118

No, seriously. I need this laptop to give to my little nephew. It's been stuck at this screen for minutes.
>>
>Ubuntu 12.04

what the fuck

burn this to a usb drive, install. Upgrade to 16.04 LTS in a few months and you're set for two+ years

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/15.10/release/lubuntu-15.10-desktop-i386.iso
>>
>>51709154

Laptop doesn't support usb boot loaders and I have no more CD-Rs. The computer is from 2002, so it's not gonna handle 16.04.
>>
>12.04

Get with the times. It isn't supported anymore. LTS is only supported for 2-3yrs, iirc. Seeing as April 2012 was more than 3yrs ago, that would put it in the no longer supported category. Install a new Ubuntu distro.
>>
>>51709199
Go with a lighter weight distro then. Lite should work fine. Mint, possibly.
>>
>>51709244
see >>51709199
>>
>>51709270

Well, after I installed Ubuntu 12.04, I installed xubuntu. Not sure what version that is.
>>
Nevermind guys, I just went to the "previous linux versions" and it just worked.
>>
If you have no more disc, you could always use the disc that comes with the Linux mags. Then put it back. Or hell keep it. Can't tell you how many mags I have looked at with the disc missing. It does say "free disc" on it. Kek.
>>
>>51709149

>nephew

In that case: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/14.04.3/release/lubuntu-14.04.3-desktop-i386.iso.torrent

I'm setting up some Lubuntu computers for nephews & charity as well, so I'll help you out here.

Your problem is probably trying to upgrade from 12.04 all the way up to the current version, you're not supposed to do that. Are you too lazy to download and burn a new cd? Don't do that.

First, you want Lubuntu because I'm guessing it's a toaster, and lubuntu runs snappy on intel atomshit netbooks. If it can run nice on crap hardware it also runs nice on new stuff. Also it has a typical windows-style start menu so you don't have to hit that fucking unity overlay crap menu and type shit when your nephew just wants to find steam or leafpad or something. My mom hated Unity but finds Lubuntu (LXDE) perfectly usable.

Okay, so burn your USB and boot from it, I'm assuming you can figure this out. Select "wipe everything and install Lubuntu". Give him a weak password (kids can't remember shit), and force him to enter it each time he logs in otherwise he won't remember it when he needs it to update etc. Check the box to install third party software. I usually choose not to connect to internet during the install, just preference because one time it messed up the install I think.

Now, Ubuntu 14.04 includes an upstream bug where the wifi icon isn't on the desktop by default. This bug is present is Lubuntu as it's downstream. Also you might not have wifi drivers installed and working depending on who makes your wifi, BroadCom are a bunch of freedom-hating nazis.

End result is you need to plug it into ethernet and run system updater, this shit will take a long time (~3 hrs on my atom shitbook). Reboot. Attempt to run System Update one more time just to make sure you got everything. Now go to Preferences -> Additional Drivers, let it spin for a while and see if there's anything available (wifi, grafix etc). Def install wifi, maybe on graphix.
>>
>>51709305

whatever faggot I already got started typing this so I'm going to finish up for the benefit of anyone else who's tired of the botnet/fixing up shit for little tykes.

Your laptop should now have working wifi, disconnect the ethernet cable and see. Run a "sudo apt-get update" to make sure you can hit the mirrors.

Go to preferences -> software & updates and navigate to the "updates" tab. Set "automatically check for updates" to daily. Set Security Updates to download and install automatically. Set "other updates" to display every two weeks.

If you'll be available to physically provide support for the machine, set Notify me of a new Ubuntu version to "Long term support versions only". If he's in a different state or it's for charity or something just put this to never. Linux doesn't have much in the way of viruses anyways and they'll probably spill soda on it/ get a new laptop anyways by the time the lack of support starts to matter. The reason for not updating is that occasionally your icons will get moved around/applets disappear or some shit/ xorg breaks. Doing tech support over the phone is hell on earth and charity cases are incredibly unlikely to know any linux sysadmins.

If it's your personal computer you can feel free to select "notify me of any version", but the fact that you need to follow my guide means you should probably just stick to LTS for now.

Next step covers ricing and gaems
>>
I lied, we're going to do a detour into how to set up Firefox. Ricing is optional, but this section is practically necessary because of Mozilla's "trusted partners" bringing you "valued content", and also general CURRENT YEAR javascript/ad shekel bloat.

Click the blue "web explorer" icon at the bottom left to launch firefox or find it in the menu under internet -> firefox. You'll get the mozilla splash page. Now open a new tab to get hit with some "helpful" suggested tiles. Click the gear icon and then uncheck show suggested sites, also probably disable "show your top sites" if it's a computer that's going to be shared. Next step is to open up the hamburger menu (three horizontal lines) at the top right and click preferences. The important things here are to go to advanced -> disable health report (telemetry/privacy etc) and search -> provide search suggestions (botnet, slow on old machines/slow connections)

Click on the hamburger icon again and go to add-ons, navigate to plugins. If shockwave flash shows up in the list you need to disable it, no room for debate here (>CURRENT YEAR). If the user seems like the kind of person who needs flash for some reason you can install Chromium and tell them to cut and paste the link there. (also write them a note or show them how cutting and pasting works).

Next we right click on the Hello and Pocket icons and select remove from toolbar, I also remove the "home" icon too since I just open a new tab for that.

NEXT UP: Extensions - uBlock Origin, uMatrix, Firebug
>>
Firecux. cont

I forgot to mention search preferences: under preferences: search you want to make sure the default search engine is set to Google (for normies) or Google/Duck Duck Go for your own personal use. Yahoo is a horrible wasteland and it pains me to see anyone using that crap-fest voluntarily.

Okay, search is sorted so now enter "Ublock Origin Firefox" in the address bar. If the search settings are correct you should be brought to the google results page and the link you want should be #1 or #2. You should also get an infuriating javascript "hey make us your homepage popup" but we'll deal with that next.

Install Ublock Origin, you will have to click a little dialog to confirm. After it's installed you will see a little icon in the corner, you can either leave it as it or customize it a bit. To customize, click it once to open the drop-down menu and then click the dark "Ublock Origin x.x.x" titlebar at the top to open the options page. You don't need to know how to turn it off (by clicking the blue power button icon), because you'll never turn it off.

At the options page I recommend adding Fanboy's lists and HPhosts. Also you should probably add the social widget blockers too, if your normie cousin wants to share a link he can do it the old fashion way.

If this is for someone else, you should stop here. For a personal machine, we'll keep going with uMatrix, also by the same author. I exceeded the char limit so it's on next post.
>>
MODERN WEB BLOATFEST: FUCK WEB """"DEVELOPERS"""" EDITION

Google "umatrix firefox", install it, same as before. Now open a new tab go to any old website. Click the green square to open the options, and click the "whatever.com" part in blue at the top left, this is how to set the scope. Change this to the * icon and set first-party (horizontal) to light red instead of green, and plugins (vertical) to dark red instead of light red. Now change the scope back to "website.com". You may notice that practically all sites are broken (thanks, modern js) but you can re-enable them by turning stuff green and reloading until it works right. If it's a site you go to a lot (4chan, google images etc.) click the save icon so you won't have to unbreak it next time. The only site I've found that I can't unbreak like this is instagram, so I just read the source, ctrl-f ".mp4" and paste the direct file to the address bar.

Firebug is useful for deleting those obnoxious headers or footers that follow you down the page, and similar crap like that. Figure this one out by yourself.
>>
eh, ricing's pretty easy to figure out on your own. Just right-click on the taskbar and stuff, everything's pretty discoverable.

The only thing I had to google for was how to disable the multiple desktop settings, since bumping the scroll wheel = confused normies. Go to preferences -> openbox configuration manager -> desktops tab to set the number of desktops you want. I click the minus icon to set this to 1 when I set up normieboxes.

I usually set font size to 8 under preferences -> customize look and feel, makes netbooks bearable and 768/800p much roomier. I'd only leave it at 11 for old people. Also under preferences I usually set LXterminal font size to 6 so I can type shit and read a web page at the same time.

Right clicking the taskbar and selecting "add and remove panel items" and exploring the tabs gets you pretty much all the other options you need to rice it out. on the left (panel applets tab -> application launch bar -> edit) For shit you don't want, just right click and select remove. There's one thing (keyboard layout?) that you have to right click -> preferences and uncheck a box to get it off. Also I usually move the taskbar to the top and set the color to 100% opacity, #6F6F6F
>>
File: marshmellow.jpg (113 KB, 800x571) Image search: [Google]
marshmellow.jpg
113 KB, 800x571
>>51709379
>>51709545
>>51709968
>>51710217
>>51710234
>>51710379
I thought you had giving up, anon. :3

I am glad you still function.
>>
Muh gaems edition:

"sudo apt-get install steam" is pretty self-explanatory.

For emulation:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:emulationstation/ppa
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libretro/stable
sudo apt-get update

Now open up System Tools -> Synaptic Package Manager and click "origin" at the bottom left. Add both emulation station packages and whatever libretro packages you want, I recommend "libretro-common-overlays libretro-common-shaders libretro-core-info libretro-gambatte libretro-genesisplusgx libretro-mupen64plus libretro-nestopia libretro-snes9x-next libretro-vba-next retroarch retroarch-assets retroarch-joypad-autoconfig"

Those aren't necessarily the most accurate ones but they run full speed even on my toasters so :^). If you have a Gay Men Pee Cee and/or autism you can try the bsnes variants for snes.

I've found that the standalone versions of mupen64plus and mame ran a lot better than the libretro cores, and pcsx-r ran a lot faster than mednafen-psx.

For starters, just launch retroarch directly (games -> retroarch) and deal with the horrible interface, setting up emulationstation is kind of a pain but very rewarding once you get it right. I use emulation station to call mupen64plus and mame directly. And buy the kid a ~$15 iBuffalo SNES controller.

There's also WINE and Playonlinux for old PC games, though a bit hit or miss.

Thank you for reading my blog.
>>
>be me
>spend an hour driving to c++ programming course
>c++ programming professor reads off power point
>no lab even though the class says that there's suppose to be a lab
>it's an 8 week course where we are suppose to cover 12 chapters
>semester ends December 16th
>barely on chapter 7

I feel like I haven't really learned much from the class. Plus, since it's an 8 week course, I'm unable to really understand the material when I do the problems. I already failed a test. Not sure if I'm gonna pass this class. What should I do with learning the material?
>>
>>51709199
Reinstall, but select advanced install, deselect everything you can and do a minimal install, once you are in, do a dist upgrade to latest ubuntu and use tasksel to install needed parts.
>>
>>51709111

throw pc in trash
buy new one with windows10
never worry about this nerd bullshit again
enjoy the webs

penguins are gay
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.