[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what causes android web browsers to refresh automatically rather
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_nx5vg0kLaJ1uxaay3o1_1280.png (605 KB, 792x483) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nx5vg0kLaJ1uxaay3o1_1280.png
605 KB, 792x483
what causes android web browsers to refresh automatically rather than letting you buffer or keep something alive?

especially when trying to stream youtube thru a browser rather than the app since they jew the ability to stream it in the background and also you can block ads with ublock
>>
Firefox does not have this problem.
>>
>>51708156

firefox is literally the browser that does it

it just did it yesterday, i had a video open, then as i hit the home button to do other things and turned off my screen for a while after setting up the video i wanted to watch/listen to on the way home , when i came back it fucking refreshed the page, LIKE ALWAYS
>>
Lack of RAM.
>>
It probably has to do with freeing resources when the app gets culled by whatever is managing system reasons (see https://developer.android.com/training/monitoring-device-state/doze-standby.html for more info specific to Android 6).

Basically, when you lock the phone, it recognizes that you're not going to be using it in the near future, and so it starts to close/background apps. Mozilla developers probably decided that when the system requests that Firefox start freeing system resources, it dumps its caches (or something similar, I don't know Firefox well enough to state specifics), which includes the page you were looking at.

Reasons for this probably include saving battery life while in standby, and periodically clearing RAM like >>51708317 states.
>>
>>51708343

i refuse to believe that using ram would use battery

but on the flipside is there some way to override that in the developer tools or some other app?
>>
>>51708603
The issue isn't specifically that RAM would be using the battery (although it actually is, as the whole point of RAM is that it's volatile - and thus loses the information held in it once power is removed), but that the app as a whole is using power. That's why the Doze mode (which was what I linked) outlines how the wireless module is no longer accessible, and so on - it's all part of an attempt to make your phones battery last longer while you're not using it.

It's probably possible to turn off the power-saving features, but I would assume you would need to root your phone and build your own ROM; I'm not well educated enough on the specifics of Android to really give you a solution. What I can tell you however is that you probably don't want to disable these features, as your phones battery would likely drain quite quickly - although the screen uses a good chunk of the power used at any given time (something around 60% in most scenarios), that leaves a lot of power being wasted at any given time.

tl;dr It does, and you don't want to
>>
>>51707988
Who is this semen demon?
>>
I had same problem. I'd load my weeaboo light novels, do something else for awhile, and I'd come back to find that Firefox needs to reload the page. If you're lucky, it'll pull it from the cache otherwise you'll have to redownload the whole page. As someone with little to no data plan, this was a problem when I was out and about. It's also very annoying.

The same thing might happen if you open too many tabs as well.

The solution I've found is to change your kernel's 'swappiness' to a very low value, and the kernal's 'dirty_ratio' and 'dirty_background' ratio to a something very high. Also change Firefox's 'about:config' setting 'memory.free_dirty_pages' to false. These prevent firefox from dumping the page from memory and into the disk cache. The downside to doing this is that Firefox will eventually bloat up consuming obscene amounts of RAM. I've only noticed it's a problem if you visit image heavy pages, otherwise it'll take awhile before you get to 500MB+. You can always just close it and reopen it if it gets to that point.

Source: NEET with too much time.
>>
Depending on the browser, the site, and the Android version it is loading from local cache and not using bandwidth.

As explained, Android tells apps to pause. Some ROMs allow you to select apps to keep alive.
>>
File: andthentheyfucked.png (460 KB, 795x485) Image search: [Google]
andthentheyfucked.png
460 KB, 795x485
This thread may be of interest to you, depending on how similar their scenario is to yours.

http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/93990/browser-that-doesnt-reload-tabs-all-the-time
>>
>>51710859
Did you download the thumbnail?
>>
>>51710883
Yes, I'm sorry. I failed /g/.
>>
I found out about this today... I saw something weird, my webserver supports the ranges header, and the client was still requesting the file.

sounds interesting, and very convenient from some perspective (ads)
>>
>>51710958
It seems intentional due to the fact you re-sized it to match the OP image resolution.
>>
>>51711087
Nah, I just can't into photoshop. I felt like it was a necessary addition to the thread considering what board this is.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.