[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can I learn C++?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: c-logo.png (33 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
c-logo.png
33 KB, 600x400
I'm 27, don't want to go back to school for 2 years, but I wanna learn how to code and make basic games using C++ and Javascripts.

I have lots of free time and am willing to read/watching online videos and practice.

Anyone know of any good resources to teach yourself coding?
>>
Books
>>
>>51701080
learn basic programming first. then you will be more informed and can make decisions yourself about what language you want to use and so on
>>
There are lots of resources online. It's extremely easy to find free tutorials online.

Pick one or the other, because they are very different languages used for very different purposes. Your biggest hurdle will just be learning the very basics, which you could do in any language. Just pick one and stick with it for at least a year.
>>
>>51701148
Ill do this.

>>51701127
Im choosing C++ cause it seems to be quite common, and Ive seen it used for many of the types of games that I want to make.
>>
>>51701183
yeah but c++ is more difficult than say using c# and developing unity games. not criticizing your decision though. There is also the question of what engine you will use, or if you want to make your own.
>>
File: 1433549360732.jpg (607 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1433549360732.jpg
607 KB, 600x800
>>51701080
youtube tutorials :^)
programming is fun senpai!!
>>
>>51701080
You'll need a lot of patience to learn something like C++ at your age.
>>
>>51701260
fuck off
>>
>>51701343
Luckily I'm a patient guy who doesn't like his job and loves games of all kinds.
I have an idea that I've been trying to get off the ground, so I'm gonna make it my hobby and hopefully will make some money off it if I'm successful.
>>
File: 1d6fd9e5d8096f9a29aa8834cbac768.jpg (132 KB, 850x1258) Image search: [Google]
1d6fd9e5d8096f9a29aa8834cbac768.jpg
132 KB, 850x1258
>>51701386
>loves games

that's the wrong mentality you fucking fag.
>>
>>51701386
you don't get it

using c++ to make games solo is insane. do you plan on using a framework?(SDL/sfml) pure direct x/openGL? this will require you to spend all your time developing an engine, which means handling all the graphics, input,audio,so on, which are entire fields within themselves.

trust me, you'll want to learn c#
>>
Start small.
Read through the tutorial http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/
Then get make a few projects where you toy with pointers, file manipulation and classes.

Then get a book on data structures and general algorithms.
Implement your own version of those you read about and find ways to benchmark them.

Now you know the basic syntax and the general data structures.
If you paid attention to the data structures, you should have noticed that most of them is implemented in the STL (standard template library)
From your benchmarks, you should have learned what to use and when.

Now try to find a good library for the task you want to solve.
Either a game engine or something, maybe just stick with manipulating images if you don't feel ready. (solving puzzles, mazes and other 2d games is very beneficial)

Then you should have some idea of how the language works and how to solve problems with it.

Now you find a good game engine and write a lot of small applications with it.

Trying to read another project might be daunting, but you should try it as expanding upon another game and using parts of another game is important unless you want to do everything yourself.
>>
>>51701080
here you go OP,
I suggest you first take a look at these before getting into programming.

https://projecteuler.net/
>>
>>51701704
those problems are fucking shit tier obscure math nerd problems not programming problems
>>
>>51701080
Just get the basics done and pick up a framework like sdl and start coding your games. Just google stuff.

You might want to read some "c++ best practices" books or similar. C++ is less forgiving than other languages.
>>
File: 31404eb431ab822bcc6bcabce76fe7.jpg (200 KB, 850x1012) Image search: [Google]
31404eb431ab822bcc6bcabce76fe7.jpg
200 KB, 850x1012
>>51701778
> i want to make vydia gaymes
> i want to be a programmer
> i want to make shitty reskin mods and call myself a programmer
> i want to copy and paste code and be a programmer
> i love vydia gaymes
>>
>>51701955
>i post anime
get a load of this fucking retard
>>
File: 6f97645f786ecdeafad08f59bc34b1ed.jpg (164 KB, 1062x1500) Image search: [Google]
6f97645f786ecdeafad08f59bc34b1ed.jpg
164 KB, 1062x1500
>>51702013
great comeback senpai you sure showed me not to mess with you.
>>
>>51701080
C++ is the wrong choice but it's your fucking choice so ignore web tutorials, sites etc. They are all shit. Pick a book out of these and work through it:
> Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
> Accelerated C++
> C++ Primer (Not the plus one)

But more importantly don't get advice from /g/ again. Seriously go ask virtually anywhere else and not here. You'd find more programming skill in a kindergarden than this shitty board.
>>
>>51702361
yet here you are on /g/ giving advice
>>
You will have a hell of a time making the leap from beginner to making games w c++.

Start with the basics and write a few simple programs. Then think about games.

There are plenty of resources out there for getting the basics down, google
>>
>>51701080

You could learn basic javascript first and then go ahead and make some simple games with HTML5 and Canvas fairly quickly which I think would be good to have some fun to get you motivated.

Starting with C++ you'll be so bored and confused that you'll probably give up.

Here's a quick video to get you started with the basics of javascript: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukg_U3CnJWI

Good luck :)
>>
>>51701080
>c++ and js in same sentence
son you will never be making games, forget it, you are too old to start coding if your goal is game industry...
>>
>>51701127
This moron does not know what he's talking about. You need to pick a language to learn basic programming. C++ is tougher than, say, Python, but fine to start in. No need to delve into specialty STL stuff to get comfortable.
>>
>>51703140
please papa, don't break his little heart.
>>
>>51701778
get a load of this fag.

>>>/v/
>>
>>51703140
i learned in 3months when i was a neet. of course, i also spent 12hours daily learning, nonstop. you need a special kind of dedication to do it.

never give up.
i cant tell you how many times ive beem completely lost or how i spent an entire day trying to find a mistake.
>>
File: tumblr_luvm55oJdR1qa9yvvo2_250.gif (499 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_luvm55oJdR1qa9yvvo2_250.gif
499 KB, 250x250
OP HERE

So basically the reason I chose C++ is I've heard a lot about it, and the game AGAR.IO was made with C++ and Javascripts.

Given that I wanna make something similar, or in the same vein I thought why not start there.

What would you people suggest I learn to make simple 2D games like that?
>>
>>51701080
"effective c++" and "effective modern c++"

>>51701386
check out unreal engine or SDL 2
>>
Read a good beginner's book on C++ first - build a foundation. Then go out on the web, read code, watch vids, follow tutorials and actually code shit. Practice, practice and practice, learning to program isnt just learning about the language features, it's actually learning HOW to program.
>>
>>51704378
K thats what im gonna do. I found a great online tutorial and will probably head to the bookstore trmrw.
Cheers
>>
Don't learn sepples
>>
>>51701080
For C++, this is the best.

http://yosefk.com/c++fqa/
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.