[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im not sure if this is the right board for this but has someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: Small_CNC_Turning_Center.jpg (2 MB, 1984x1488) Image search: [Google]
Small_CNC_Turning_Center.jpg
2 MB, 1984x1488
Im not sure if this is the right board for this but has someone worked with CNC machines here?My parents found what they think is "easy" job as being programmer/operator(they have no idea which one but said "i just need to press some buttons on the computer")but im worried it might require things i have no idea of.
>>
You have no idea how to use one but you have a job operating one? You better hope they have on the job training
>>
>>51698133
this.

You lucked the fuck out OP

People kill for jobs like that.
>>
>>51697834
Take a class at your community college and try again I see those machines in the college if your college is good they will have a class
>>
cnc machine programming is easy. The only thing that needs practice is the knowledge abount machining. Milling or turning etc what tool what steel u work with how could you make this or that part.... not all cnc are CAM programmed and has to be done by hand and for this you need knowledge - bam
>>
>>51698133
They do its 1 month long but im still not sure if i should even try.
>>
>>51698148
Don't piss away your nepotism you fucking idiot jesus christ
Fucking millennial
>>
>>51698144
They were told i will just have to do something on the computer.
>>51698143
I live in small city without college and even if i did will not go to for job like this.
>>
>>51698180
Most cnc machines I worked with uses g code it isn't that hard to learn I had more trouble with learning about all the tools it uses. And you really don't write much code you just edit the sizes you want to drill or make and it will auto write that all you will be making is off sets
>>
>>51698178
Dont get me wrong i really want to have job but i dont want to fuck up and make everything worse.
>>
>>51698316
I will dedicate whatever time it takes to learn them but im really afraid of fucking something up since they everything is so expensive.
>>
File: shia_meme.jpg (71 KB, 1137x640) Image search: [Google]
shia_meme.jpg
71 KB, 1137x640
>>51698676
It's a really good opportunity. Don't be a pussy.
>>
>>51698321
>don't get me wrong
>want to have a job
>fuck up
>make everything worse
Holy shit take a fucking chance you pessimistic faggot
>>
I believe actual engineers write the gcode now.

You basically just make sure nothing fucks up.

Those machines should be able to spit out parts without supervision.
>>
>>51698133
>>51698142
>>51698143
>>51698144
>>51698178
>>51699163
>>51699217
>>51699881

He's going to be an operator, not a programmer. They are going to show him how to use the machine, not how to re-write the code for it.

He'll get an order for something. He'll put in the bar stock. He'll select one of five, or ten, or fifty different pre-made programs he'll have access to. He'll hit start. He'll pick his nose whilst it works.

When it's done, he'll take it out and look at it like he knows what the part is for when he really doesn't. And then he'll give it to someone who knows what it actually is and tell him to go make two more.

But it will be a good start to a possible machinist apprenticeship.

Sometimes you nerds have no fucking clue how to world actually works.
>>
>>51700056
and apparently i can't into grammer.
>>
>>51697834
All you need is:
- three-dimensional (spatial) imagination
- patience
- high precaution

The rest is a matter of learning.
>>
>>51698133

definitely try it out!
>>
>>51697834
Your job will be selecting a pre-made program from a menu (be prepared to see some really funky old-school HMIs). Then monitoring the machine as it does its thing and reacting to error messages etc. Maybe calibrate it mechanically on a scheduled basis or based on product inspection or adjust to different widths/heights of material. That's about it. Boring as fuck so better start compiling that playlist of your favorite tunes.
>>
>>51701239
Hope it is because i never did something like this before.
>>
>>51703179
Worst case the part shoots threw the side make sure u put them in straite.
>>
>>51703410
What?
>>
>>51697834
Customers submit CAD files of a part, you need to know how to use CAM software to tell the CNC how to machine the part from the 3d model. Pretty easy, learn the software and learn the speeds and feeds.
>>
I've been working in a shop within a company that makes certain parts for cars. I am an apprentice and they make us learn on a milling machine and a lathe. I won't be working on a CNC until two years from now probably. You'll probably be in the same boat. You have nothing to be worried about, just learn trigonometry and geometry and you'll be fine.
>>
You'd need to know some basic geometry and how to measure stuff it's not fucking rocket science.

Also get used to a poor interface.
>>
>>51698133

CNC operator is an easy job, with very little intelligence required. You take pieces out of the machine when they're done, put new ones in, and hit the button. And then just pay attention to make sure that if a tool breaks, you stop it so it doesn't smash the rest of the tools too.

Also they might tell you what the most important dimension on the part is, and give you a caliper to measure it so you can tell it's working right.

If you're ok at it, maybe they'll trust you enough to teach you how to set up different parts and select programs.
>>
>>51709325
Yep sounds like you know how it goes down
>>
>>51697834
i've worked with these for a while. like stated previously in the thread if you're going to be an operator, it's very easy. there were operators running machines at my shop that literally couldn't count. it's good to know metric/eng conversions and vice versa. sometimes our shop use to receive prints in metric and all the machines were in english. a lot depends on where you're working. try not to crash anything the first couple months, operators are very disposable.
>>
Former machinist here, I use Fanuc and haas. Believe me when I say this, GET OUT OF MACHINING, it's not an easy job. If you are an operator and not doing setups, why not take the job. But if you are looking at this job for long term id say forget it.

The thing with machining is you usually have to work 2nd shift for years before you are placed at first shift.

Also to say that op doesnt need to know anything other than pressing a button is non sense even as an operator, even the way you tighten these parts to the fixture matters if you are working with tight tolerances. It's good to know the basics at least, unless you are making parts with high tolerances and are literally just pressing a button. You have to measure the parts and adjust the offsets, which can cause you to get fired in itself.

I used to work 2nd shift for years as a machinist, all the old guys are fighting to get into first shift, and the chance never comes up. I know machinists who were working 2nd shift for 4 years, no thanks.

And the thing is, once you leave that company, even if you worked there for 5 years, and you decide to go to another company, chances are you will be sent to 2nd shift.

This one guy who worked night shifts one time came drunk, he was always drunk, family of alcoholics. Anyways, this guy was tightening the clamp way too hard on the fixture, and pushed the port the port out, so when the form tool came in, it pushed it out out of round, he scrapped $50,000 worth of material and labor. Material is not the problem, aluminum is cheap, but once you scrap a whole order and all the outside processing is done, like anodize, chemfilm, deburr, etc you lose out and get fired.

This shit HAPPENS FREEQUENTLY in machine shops. Ok i will shut up now. Fuck machining OP. bye
>>
>>51700056
Unless the new cad model hasn't got been converted to can instructions for the machine, it will need efficient routes with minimal tool changes, do you even into new parts bro?
>>
>>51713014
tl;dr: don't show up drunk.

Prototyping machinist here (I design the part, write the code, and run the machine): You can pick up what you need to know quickly. But running the machines is not really all that challenging, and you're going to be competing with an endless supply of non-union vo-pros who work for minimum wage, and union guys who show up at work drunk and yet will always have seniority. If you're working for someone else, it's a crap job (unless you've been doing it for 30 years in a union shop, then it's a crap job that pays well).
>>
>>51713490
>>51713014
I live in small city and the company is new so i doubt i will be 2nd shift and if i am i will refuse because i already have sleeping problems.Of course im looking at it for short term even if everything was perfect.
>>
>>51697834
Nah it's easy as fuck.
I worked with a CO2 lasers, turret punch presses and bending machine.

Out of these the turret punch press was the most retarded one because
>it was ancient
>it used some proprietary firmware/software from siemens with absolute garbage unintuitive UI
>was abused like crazy

If the machines that you will be working with will be even remotely modern you will be fine
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.