[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
28nm GPUs are obsolete
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: pascal.jpg (278 KB, 815x863) Image search: [Google]
pascal.jpg
278 KB, 815x863
28nm GPUs are obsolete. 14nm Arctic Islands and 16nm Pascal GPUs are coming out next year. Their performance will be superior to the cards that are currently available, so only an idiot would buy a graphics card right now.
>>
>>51697132
14nm GPUs don't exist yet, so 28nm obviously isn't obsolete yet. It still would be stupid to upgrade a GPU now unless you've got money to burn or really want to play the vidya and can't with your current card.
>>
>I have money to purchase new graphics cards regularly so why don't you?

You're retarded and that's okay. I know people who are still buying gtx 450's because it handles the job well. Only fools spend 600$ a year on new graphics cards for an 8% Performance increase. That's why consoles let for over half a decade and still bring entertainment.
>>
>>51697482
>I know people who are still buying gtx 450s
They better damn well be getting them close to free. Integrated graphics slaps a 450's shit.
>>
>>51697505
>Using cpu resources to handle a graphics cards job ever
You don't like computers do you, squidward?
>>
>>51697555
Not my point. If a HD 520 can compete with a gts 450, even while sharing Memory with the CPU, maybe you should reconsider actually BUYING a half decade old card.
>>
>>51697597
>HD 520
Iris Graphics 540, excuse me.
>>
>>51697505
Just got a hd 7950 for $95.
Fuck spending 1200 aud on a 980 ti.
>>
>16nm and 14nm GPUs are obsolete. <10 nm GPUs are coming out in two years. Their performance will be superior to the cards that will be available in 2016, so only an idiot would buy a graphics card next year.

The example is not perfect since it will take a while for <10nm nodes to be implemented in GPUs, but the principle is the same. New GPUs a come out each year.
>>
Pretty irrelevant imo. A $400 card now would have been $550 a year ago when it launched. It will be $300 used a year from now.
A 980 ti now will be what a 1080 will be in 6 months and cost less.
>>
>>51697597
Again, also not the point. If theoretically a 480 were comparable to 660 or to a 940 why would you pay the premium when you could spend less and get the same performance? Additionally if you had the money for a low budget dedicated gpu why wouldn't you get one instead of wasting cpu resources on dedicated graphics handling even if there is better performance? I would use those graphics as a fall back if my card failed or for something like a virtual box.
>>
Had an ancient nvidia gts 250, core2duo, ddr2

Upgraded to skymeme , Ddr4, etc. Gota gtx 960 for 140 just to hold me out.
>>
>>51697701
The point I was making is, if the graphics capability that COMES with your CPU for FREE, compares or beats an old card that you could get for under $20 if you aren't a retard, why the hell would you get an old piece of shit like that in the FIRST PLACE?
>>
Eh, can't wait forever.

Going to grab a 390 next time the're $200 - $250, and sell it in 6 months if the new gen really is all that
>>
>>51697132

Have we got a date yet?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.