[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you know if you have a "good" copy of a cpu?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
File: 1449059821004.jpg (81 KB, 450x299) Image search: [Google]
1449059821004.jpg
81 KB, 450x299
how do you know if you have a "good" copy of a cpu?
>>
If it has "intel" written somewhere on it
>>
>>51696714
For GPUs, you could go simply by ASIC. I'm not sure if something like that can be read out for CPUs.
I guess the most simple test would be by highest OC on a fixed voltage that boots into windows (or, a little more advanced, that passes Prime95 1344k 15 minutes.)
>>
>>51696714
Figure out how well it OCs and on what voltage.
>>
>>51696714
Afaik the bucketing determines price so price is a good indicator.
>>
>>51696739
You can identify then by having a massive fucking bend in the middle
>>
>>51696714
What happens to the useless edge pieces?
>>
>>51696804
They glue them together and call it AMD.
>>
>>51696804
Used as i3/x4 dual core/modules.
>>
>>51696804
They usually scrap them as they're no good. Even if some of the edge units were electrically viable, they wouldnt be mechanically viable due to a misshapen die, which would in turn lead to cracking.
>>
High OC on low volts.
>>
>>51696838
Why not sell them to viewers of The Big Bang Theory, who would wear that trash as a fashion accessory?
>>
Generally you know you have a good CPU if your stock voltage is on the lower end of the average voltage range listed by the manufacturer.
>>
>>51696814

Nah that's where they get the Atom processors.
>>
>>51696714
see how far you can undervolt it while keeping it stable

save electricity and prolong your cpu's life!
>>
>>51696804
Silicon gets recycled.
>>
>>51696764
kek
>>
>>51696838
They do this or if the die is fine but has components that dont work, they disable those components (example a core that isnt working), underclock or overclock the thing and rebrand it as a lower product

>>51696856
Not a bad idea at all, i dont know for BBT viewers but i sure as fuck would like a wall in my living room with different CPUs hanging on it
>>
>>51697665
amdtricores.png
>>
>>51697749
>amdtricores.png
Both AMD and Intel do that
CPU making is no joke, especially when the components are so small they're invisible and 1 in 10 CPUs turn out as they are expected to
>>
I will always buy Intel™ because I only play games with Intel Inside™. Intel also pioneers innovative new technologies like Hyper Threading Technology™, Intel Rapid Start Technology™ and the highest quality chipsets to ever grace motherboards.
When I boot up with a brand new Intel™ i7™ with the latest Z chipset, I can enjoy the games the way they where meant to be with Intel Inside™. Intel™ also delivers a far more silkysmooth experience with its Hyper Threading Technology™.
Intel i5™ is also very power efficient. A processor is the most power hungry device in your house. Air conditioners, water heaters, lights, etc all use less power than a processor. Which is why Intel™ puts gamers first by ensuring that their gaming experience is of the highest quality while looking out for gamers by giving them the most value in their electrical bill.
At this point in time, there's really no reasons to consider an AMD processor at all. I tried once, it caused so much heat that it exploded and nearly burnt down my house. It also consumed so much power that it produced an EMP and destroyed not only the rest of my computer but my entire neighborhood.
Intel™ also pioneered how useless MORE CORES is with the i™ series processors. Years ago, everyone thought MORE CORES were the future. Now, Intel™ has debunked that myth entirely and increased efficiency. Now you can save thousands a year in electricity thanks to Intel™ with its powerful IPC. MORE CORES will never be part of Intel's™ line up.
It's quite clear that OPs an AMD shill trying to convince you to settle on something less than the optimal experience with Intel Inside™. Intel™ is the only real way to play games. We have seen recently that they offer incredible libraries for software developers like Intel C++ Compiler. He is probably too poor to afford the Intel Inside™ experience and can not afford to play any games.
Don't be a poor gamer with bad chipsets and a huge power bills. Play games with Intel Inside™
>>
>>51697920
No
>>
>>51697894
You mean 4 in 100.
>>
>>51698052
>You mean 4 in 100.
I dont really know the facts, just how stuff works so i guess yeah, 4 in 100
>>
>>51697920
go back to /pol/ jew
>>
>>51698078
Ah, I feel a little bad now. 4 in 100 was the reported yields for nvidia's Fermi a while back. But over time the yields of the chips does increase as they get better at producing them. 1 in 10 is still a pretty bad one.

But there is variance across the processes too. For example TSMC's 28nm process is very mature so nvidia and AMD are able to affordably create their huge 500mm^2, larger dies are more risky as there is more space wasted on a silicon platter because square product on the round material, as shown in OP's pic.

Then there's something like tsmc's 22nm which was just a failure from the start and now everyone is skipping along to their 14/16nm process.
>>
>>51698127
how come they can't just make square ingots for square wafers anyway
>>
>>51698127
1.7%
Pork shoulders
housefires
>>
>>51698169
Because the wafers are grown as a single, ultra-pure crystal.
>>
>>51698169
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HJzHZZD6co
>>
>>51698169
Even if they were, the wafers are a standardised size anyway. So if the chip being created isn't the correct size there would still be waste along the edges. There's a push to move up to 450mm wafers in a X years though.
>>
>>51696764
Just try not to screw on the cooler so tight next time.
>>
>>51698563
>Just try not to screw on the cooler so tight next time.
So its basically a choice between burning your CPU from overheating or breaking it from the middle preventing overheating?
>>
>>51697665
>i sure as fuck would like a wall in my living room with different CPUs hanging on it
You can buy bad wafers on ebay, someone on /g/ framed one.

Looks pretty rad
>>
>>51698584
just don't be a dipshit and your stuff won't break
>>
Why the fuck do they purposely make the wafers a circular shape when a bunch of processors will be cut off around the edges?
>>
>>51696714
It's called the chip lottery and you play it everytime you buy a CPU.
>>
By seeing what kind of temps and voltages happen when you overclock, and comparing it to others with the same cpu.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.