[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Moving OS to SSD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: slant.jpg (65 KB, 620x336) Image search: [Google]
slant.jpg
65 KB, 620x336
So I bought a laptop with Windows 8.1 already installed on the HDD, but not on the SSD it comes with (it isn't a gaming laptop calm down autists). I've googled around and haven't really found a definite solution.

Do I need a third party program to move the OS over to my SSD? I have no Windows disc so I could pirate Windows 8.1 on a USB and wipe the OS I guess, but is there an easier way? I know I'm retarded please help me guys.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (138 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
138 KB, 1920x1080
please help me
>>
What kind of SSD
>>
WAKE ME UP INSIDE
>>
You'll need a program that clones a hardrive. Youll have to have both HDDs hooked up at the same time. The program will duplicate the contents. Then you swap the HDDs out. Its quite simple.
>>
clonezilla.
>>
strictly speaking no but the installation process is different when it detects an SSD so you'd do well to use one of the migration binaries that most SSD manufacturers give you.

you may still have to dick with some regkeys to get windows to treat it as SSD; not sure how much smarter 10 is than 7

ideally wipe and start over
>>
every crucial ssd i've bought has come with a lite copy of acronis -- more than capable of what you want to accomplish
>>
Jesus christ, this is simple shit. Read the sticky and learn2google please

Better yet, just take it to the geek squad and have them charge you 100$
>>
>>51690484
Smaller disk to bigger disk: Clonezilla.
Bigger disk to smaller disk: Pirate Acronis True Image.

Or just pirate Windows 10.
>>
>>51690852
Thanks

Fuck the rest of you faggots
>>
>>51690780
sda2, are you this retarded
>>
>>51690852
whats the best version of acronis?
>>
>>51690484
You'll run into endless problems if you simply clone and reduced performance. Just fresh install from USB and wipe HDD.
>>
I've moved Windows twice with link related.

https://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm

New drive might not like it, try rebooting a few times if it refuses to load Windows. If it's still failing just repeat the duplication process.
>>
Holy shit, you don't put an OS on a SSD unless you want it to die in a matter of weeks.

SSDs are meant for media files, like anime.
>>
>>51692018
Really? Is it because of the file changes the OS performs regularly.
>>
>>51690699

>Cant wake up
>>
Do not copy the OS from the HDD to the disk. Install the OS from scratch on the SSD.

Why? Because Windows detects what kind of disk it is running at and configures itself accordingly (enabling and disabling various settings and task like TRIM, defragging etc). If you just copy the OS over, windows will likely still think it is on a HDD and do all kinds of shit it shouldn't do, and in best case perform worse than with a fresh install, and worst case shorten the lifespan of your SSD.

>>51694089
He is trolling
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.