[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AND
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: FINISHED.jpg (50 KB, 970x514) Image search: [Google]
FINISHED.jpg
50 KB, 970x514
http://www.pcworld.com/article/3012030/components-processors/intel-skylake-cpus-reportedly-bending-under-pressure-from-third-party-coolers.html
http://hothardware.com/news/intel-skylake-cpus-are-warping-under-heat-sink-mounting-pressure

original article

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgameshardware.de%2FLuftkuehlung-Hardware-217993%2FNews%2FSkylakegate-Kuehler-zerstoeren-Sockel-1151-CPUs-1179237%2F&edit-text=
>>
who uses shitty third party coolers anyway

they're not even optimized for your cpu
>>
Just goes to show Intel can force feed fanboys shit and all they'll say is when's the new chipset coming out?
>>
>>51684906
The skylake CPUs don't come with a stock one, meaning you'd have to use a 3rd party cooler.
>>
>>51684948
>all they'll say is when's the new chipset coming out?
Next year
A socket a year...
>>
>>51684906
I seriously hope this is b8 anon
>>
File: IMG_7045-pcgh.jpg (827 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7045-pcgh.jpg
827 KB, 1600x1200
>cpus are bending
>shows a picture of a damaged motherboard

am i missing something here ?
Skylake has been around for months already..

it sounds more like a fringe issue due to exceptional circumstances rather than a widespread problem
>>
>>51686918
Yes, it's the substrate the CPU is mounted on that's thinner and bending, not the the IHS or the CPU itself.
>>
Part of the problem is that the silcon thickness is reduced in the skylake processors. The processor silicon substrate used to be thicker. That gave it additional resistance from bending.
>>
they will "repair" them, add more marketing and resell them for a higher price
>>
>>51686967
It's not the silicon, it's the substrate (plastic or ceramic).
>>
Intel's CPUs are always tedious to work with.

>install a big beefy heatsink
>have to take everything out of the case to place a tiny metal brace thing on the back

(to do the same thing with an AMD you don't have to take everything out and it's a much simpler task)
>>
>>51687010
I just said that dude.
>>
>>51687015
It's not like Intel has to assist you in cannibalizing on its sales of higher binned or future SKUs to get its shit sold.

>>51687053
Yeah, sorry.
>>
intel replied:
>“The design specifications and guidelines for the 6th Gen Intel Core processor using the LGA 1151 socket are unchanged from previous generations and are available for partners and 3rd party manufacturers. Intel can’t comment on 3rd party designs or their adherence to the recommended design specifications. For questions about a specific cooling product we must defer to the manufacturer.”
>And so it would appear this is an OEM 3rd party manufacturer issue, rather than a generalized issue with the processor(s).
>3rd party manufacturers

one comment:
>I'd be super pissed. The guilty parties should man up with more than a fix for those impacted (permanently damaged). Do we need to sign waivers before installing hardware?
>The guilty parties

marketing and manipulation > reality
>>
>>51687015
Except AMD processors need the big beefy heatsink far more than an Intel CPU with low TDP, comparatively.

Likewise, the pin vs contact mounting system makes it much more likely that a user could bend the pin on the CPU, which leads to a more expensive replacement cost, than bending a pin on the motherboard's socket in Intel's case.

AMD's processor mounting system is fucking retarded.
>>
>>51685061

the non-k ones do and lets face it, who buys a -k cpu without one?
>>
>>51685061
Holy shit. Way to cheap out.
>>
>>51687069
Intel always refuses to man up to fix issues. There's no surprise.
>>
>intel literally tricking the goyim into needing a replacement
>>
>>51687103
what are you talking about? anyone who buys a K series cpu is going to be overclocking and using an aftermarket heatsink. saves the customer a few bucks in the end.
>>
File: 1446340357187.jpg (509 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1446340357187.jpg
509 KB, 1280x720
>mfw Zen will have an equally thin substrate
We're all getting shekeled and dimed
Oy vey
>>
>>51687101
People who have a strict budget, bought the K processor and Z-series motherboard, and will test out games at stock clocks and cooler for a few weeks before they decide whether they want to pony up an additional $70 - $100 for a dual stack air cooler of CLC setup.

It's actually pretty common, man.

If they built the system with that included, they'd have to appropriate extra budget to the cooler. Likewise, it's also a lot quicker to see if your system will post using a stock push-pin cooler than a 3rd party one that usually requires a backplate mounting system.

That being said 6600k have less than 10% IPC improvement over 4690ks, cost 15% more MSRP, and don't even come with the stock cooler.

I'd be okay if they omitted the stock cooler, but the price should be lower to compensate, not higher.
>>
>>51687153
doubt it
at least I hope not, I think AMD will try it's hardest to make a good first impression with their new arch
>>
>>51687187
>I think AMD will try it's hardest to make a good first impression with their new arch
Nope, AMD will try its hardest to copy Intel move-for-move
We're all the cattle, and they the milkers
>>
>user installs some heavy ass cooler
>moves tower around
>blames everyone but himself when it damages something

Sort of like when that samsung phone blew up..
and it turned out to be nothing
>>
>>51687149
>Save a few bucks.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1542?vs=1260
>4790k vs 6700k, both on DDR3 memory.
>Less than 10% performance delta in every test.
>$339 MSRP buys a 4790k + stock cooler
>$350 MSRP buys a 6700k and nothing else.

Tell me, what shekels are you saving here?
>>
>>51687211
>AMD will try its hardest to copy Intel move-for-move
Then they would be copying nvidia move-for-move too, they don't have the market share to fuck their customers that hard.
>>
>>51685061
>tard alert
Only overclockable ones don't come with coolers, intel knows their coolers are shit, but they're made to be cheap and cheap shit can only be so good. They're good enough for my i5-6500 (which is good enough for me) though, so lel, as long as it doesn't bottleneck my gpu and it's powerful enough for medium-grade programming any cpu is good enough for me.
>>
>>51684879
Damn. I thought you said AMD then.

What a shame
>>
>>51687245
>Nvidia releases GeForce Experience
>AMD releases Raptr

>Nvidia starts releasing Game-Ready driver releases
>AMD changes cadence of driver releases to accomodate new game releases

I'm not saying AMD's the only copycat here, but both are trying their hardest to copy the other while staying within legal boundaries of eachother to prevent themselves from getting sued by the other.
>>
I just flinched at the OP pic thinking it's a spider.
>>
>>51687290
not to mention
>NVidia releases driver that kills cards
>AMD releases Crimson with a driver that kills cards
>>
>>51685140
>A socket a year,
>keeps the goyim ...
What anon? How does it end?
>Changing cpu every year
Only rich autists and pure blood goyims do this.
>>
>>51687245
>Then they would be copying nvidia move-for-move too
And they are
>Freesync
Just because it's open-source now doesn't mean AMD won't lock down features or functionality in the future
>Eyefinity
Same story
>QuickStream
Watch AMD APUs suddenly have better performance running this than Intel CPUs, which are stronger and better in every way

AMD is just another corporation ready to pin us down and fuck us hard from both ends like Jamal and Tyrone did your mom last night.
Just wait and see. Crimson's shitty card-killing driver was only the start
>>
>>51687259
>>51687149
>>51687101
Holy shit. All these retards thinks it's actually okay for Intel not to include stock coolers, yet still mark up the price.

The end user is literally paying more to get less shit.

Fucking sheep.
>>
>>51687359
No, we're paying more for free performance boost ;^)
>>
>>51687385
good goy
>>
>>51687348
>Just because it's open-source now doesn't mean AMD won't lock down features or functionality in the future
but it's literally an open standard, the only thing I can see them locking down is the ability to modify monitor refresh range
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/owners-of-freesync-monitors-can-enlarge-hz-range-with-simple-hack.html
and I doubt they'll do that

>>Eyefinity
What exactly are they copying?

>which are stronger and better in every way
Except gpu

>Crimson's shitty card-killing driver was only the start
Companies literally make mistakes bro
>>
>>51687431
>trusting maple-licking, moose-humping, poutine-loving Canadians
This is why AMD are all keks
>>
>>51687431
>>>Eyefinity
>What exactly are they copying?
NVidia Surround, duh
>>
>>51687481
I don't feel either technology was unique though. GPUs could run multiple monitors even prior to the advent of nvidia surround or eyefinity.

I never really understood what that "technology" brought to the table that was actually new.
>>
>>51687520
1 millions monitors per card
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.