[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's great that developers are making games for Linux now.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (176 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
176 KB, 1280x720
It's great that developers are making games for Linux now. It's just too bad the framerate is so crappy. Why do games perform so much better on Windows than Linux?
>>
>>51683196
>needing to play a non action game in 60fps
>>
>>51683196
LINUX HAS NO DRIVERS.

FOR NOTHING.

IT'S JUST A USELESS KERNEL WITH A SHITTY GUI ON TOP.

ITS MADE BY DEVS WHO WORK FOR FREE

THERE IS NO QUALITY
NO SENSE OF LOSING MONEY

/end
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eab2UI1Iq2w
See when he disables SSAO, Linux gets a lot more FPS.
AS i see it, it's nothing more than poor implementations of things like this.
>>
the drivers are probably made just so they can say they actually have linux drivers
also all linux games are ports of windows games, made by people who probably only have a detailed knowledge of the windows architecture/DirectX
>>
>>51683258
Wow nice, thank you very much for your post!
>>
File: 1447991363842.png (11 KB, 166x76) Image search: [Google]
1447991363842.png
11 KB, 166x76
>>51683252
>>
File: 1347664974159.gif (1 MB, 255x191) Image search: [Google]
1347664974159.gif
1 MB, 255x191
>>51683252
>Capitalism guarantees quality
>Apple
>Alienware
>Windows 8 & 10
>>
>>51683369
Yes, because alienware, apple & windows stuff just WORKS.
Linux on the other hand does not and is a fucking waste of time for anybody with half a brain
>>
>>51683439
>I am a stupid,and want pandering
kill yourself normalfag i bet you use gui to torrent
>>
File: TQoL8Fs.gif (2 MB, 450x371) Image search: [Google]
TQoL8Fs.gif
2 MB, 450x371
>>51683439
>windows
>just WORKS
>>
>>51683325
>the drivers are probably made just so they can say they actually have linux drivers
The proprietary Nvidia drivers are nearly identical on Windows and Linux.
>>
>>51683369
>implying apple isn't quality
>>
File: 1432167863725.jpg (105 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1432167863725.jpg
105 KB, 640x480
>>51683196
>Why do games perform so much better on Windows than Linux?
did you seriously just ask that?
>>
>>51683196
Linux graphics drivers are typically worse performing than windows. Especially for intel and amd
>>
>>51683488
>>51683784
Damn, I guess the only way to properly use computers is to use them in the most inefficient and poorly designed way possible.

We sure are fucking stupid and tech illiterate for wanting something that works and doesn't take fucking with to get working, aren't we?
>>
>>51683252
this

why are /g/ so fucking stupid
>>
>>51683789
solely because linux workstations and compute servers use nvidia so heavily, nvidia doesn't care about linux gayms
>>
The drivers are shit that's why, video card companies don't put much effort in them because no one uses Linux
>>
>>51683252
idiot
>>
>>51683196
It's not Linux's fault, it's the game developers for making bad ports.

If you taking a properly programmed OpenGL game and ran it on Windows and Linux with the proprietary nvidia drivers, Linux would out-preform it.
>>
>>51685444
>I'm ignorant and know nothing about technology, yet here I am saying dumb shit on /g/ - technology

Same goes for a lot of people in this thread.
>>
>>51685814
>If you taking a properly programmed OpenGL game and ran it on Windows and Linux with the proprietary nvidia drivers, Linux would out-preform it.
Fuck off, M$ shill.
>>
linux isn't the best for games but I can play city skylines on a shitty i3 and a gtx 660 with 60 fps so idk where you got that screenshot from
>>
>>51683196
Just give time, in a few years there will be better drivers.
>>
>>51685814
Doubt it, read an article a year ago about the OpenGL performance Linux vs windows with the proprietary NVIDIA driver.

Title was something like "NVIDIA OpenGL performance now almost on par with Windows"
>>
>>51685837
Who are you quoting, retard?
>>
>>51683196
Drivers and X11 being generally shit. Hopefully in 10 years they'll have it sorted out.
>>
>>51686245
>203X will be the decade of the linux desktop
>>
>>51683439
Do you see your crondradiction?
>Linux on the other hand does not and is a >fucking waste of time for anybody with half a >brain
Thats because, (like you), they only have half a brain.
>>
>>51683210
every game that isn't going for a specific visual style benefits from having a higher frame rate.
>>
>why ported games perform worse
>>
poorly ported game and directx vs opengl

vulkan could help with that, if the fucking developers ever use it
>>
>>51683252
Ahahahahahahaah!

JUST
>>
>>51685405
Please shut the fuck up bro. I haven't seen shitposting this bad in ages. Please at least TRY Linux first before forming an opinion about it.
>>
Windows and OSX are corporate backed and will always have an upper hand so long as corporations are willing to dump money into the continuous shitfest of releasing slightly better hardware with the same set of drivers every year.

Some companies are cooperating with open source methods but the funding for these projects is nowhere near the Windows money.
>>
>Frame rate analysis
>On a game built on Unity (the game engine)
>Somehow a valid benchmark
At least you used a native port with just an all round shitty engine rather than games like Bioshock Infinite or The Witcher 2 which run in a wrapper with on-the-fly Direct3D-to-OpenGL shader code translation.
>>
>>51689682
Nvidia actually has some really good Linux drivers even if they're proprietary binary blobs. There's plenty of games that run on par pr better than their Windows versions when written using good OpenGL 4.X shadercode and it just keeps getting better and better on that front.
>>
>>51689769
Yeah, things definitely do get better from here on. I would say Unity is one of the worst things to happen in the indie dev scene, because every retard now makes a shitty game in an engine with even shittier hardware requirements. Post below mine describes the issue.

I think the best an end user can do at this point is keep supporting linux releases.
>>
>>51683196
ports are bad?

shocking.
>>
>>51683252
This. There is minimal demand for vidya support for Loonix, and even if there was, no one would make money from it.
>>
>>51689803
My dislike for Unity doesn't just come from how badly it performs, it also comes from having worked on a game prototype that never got released due to funding falling trough. God the sound system was absolute garbage before they re-wrote pretty much the whole thing not too long ago and the physics are apparently still really shit. You can apparently implement your own physics, but unity's own physics will still continue running on the background.

I'd still say that Unity was a minor net positive as it forced engine developers to become more friendly towards hobbyists and indies. However I will still admit that when I worked with it, it felt like more a hobbyist project by CS students than commercial software because I've used better made hobbyist projects.
>>
>>51689902
they also completely fucked up their lighting system. we're having to move our entire fucking game over to UE4 thanks to lightmaps no longer baking properly
>>
>>51683196
I once forced KSP on linux to use d3d11 instead of openGL because of the enormous framelag when changing view angle.
It actually worked.

We need to have d3d11 for linux, soon.
>>
>>51689868
>Support has been steadily increasing over the last 4 or so years
>Loads and loads of indie games not only releasing on Linux, but releasing day 1
>Also starting to see AAA titles show up on Linux, some even day 1 (Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor and Dying Light along with XCom 2 next year)
>Pretty much all Linux ports make back their money
Yes, keep telling yourself that Windows is the only place to go for PC gaming as you head back to /v/...
>>
>>51683252
As much as this faggot is screaming, he is right.
Hardware makers won't gain any market share by improving performance on linux, so they don't.
Linux coders won't lose their job if they ignore quality control and focus on writing ever more ricer enabling shit, so they do.
>>
>>51683258
This.
Linux has worse optimization than Mac.
Otherwise, Linux will be close to equal, and potentially perform better in CPU limited processes
>>
>>51690089
If hardware makers don't gain anything by improving performance on Linux, why are Nvidia's drivers about on par with their windows drivers and why have AMD's drivers taken some major strides forward over the last couple of years?

Like it or not, Linux has slowly but surely been gaining ground over the years. It may not be anywhere near as big as Apple is, but Linux support is becoming more and more important. The same way as when Microsoft gave Apple a bigger boost than any advertisement campaign ever could with Vista, they're now doing with Windows 10 and all the Android style data mining people actually care about now that the Snowden revelations are out there.

Don't expect Windows to fall overnight, just for Linux and Apple to become even more viable alternatives.

Also, unless you only count AMD's new open source drivers, OSX does not have better performing drivers than Linux. Specially in the graphics department Apple has some pretty terrible drivers due to their focus on rendering precision over speed.
>>
File: 1393550633257.jpg (53 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1393550633257.jpg
53 KB, 500x400
>>51683439
> windows
> just works
>>
>>51690502
it's true. For example, you had to go all the way back to the vista launch to find a blue screen.
>>
>>51685405
>Damn, I guess the only way to properly use computers is to use them in the most inefficient and poorly designed way possible.
If you're referring to linux then you're wrong.

>We sure are fucking stupid and tech illiterate for wanting something that works and doesn't take fucking with to get working, aren't we?
You're projecting.
>>
>>51683369
Windows 8.1 was dank as fuck
>>
>>51690532
A lot of comparisons with linux in this plasce are done with old versions of the operative system or based on outdated facts though.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.