[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /g/. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
Hey, /g/. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

My aging dad enjoys watching TV for several hours a day. He still has an old CRT TV, like pic related. The problem is that last time I visited, I noticed the corners of the screen were displaying wrong colours - it's obvious the old TV set has run its course, and I said I'll buy him a new TV this Christmas.

But now I'm worried. I heard CRTs are full of lead and phosphorous, and now I'm a little concerned that it's leaking and my dad is breathing more of that shit every hour. Should I remove the old TV set from his place as soon as possible?

:/ Sorry if this sounds stupid, I'm just concerned.
>>
>>51677543
Do you have a question or looking for advice?
>>
i really doubt your crt is leaking lead and phosphorus, and if it was it wouldnt be enough PPM to really matter

buy him a nice quality color tv, dont go overkill with size and shit, maybe an older 32" led flatscreen would be cool, or a newer one, i just prefer the older ones from the 2006-2010 era because they last longer
>>
>>51677586
>2006-2010 era because they last longer

why
>>
>>51677586
>literally denying that tvs have gotten better
>>
Degauss it.
>>
>>51677605
When larger led screens started getting more popular build quality was still good, ive had issues with never flatscreens feeling flimsy and having problems with video quality over time

but ive had this sony bravia from 2008 thats been kicking just fine the whole time

>>51677627
things have gotten better, im just saying that if you want something that will last longer, newer flatscreens are not the way to go
>>
>>51677647
Most CRTs degauss on startup.

Unless his TV is truly ancient, this isn't the issue, although it'd be hilarious if it was.
>>
I bought a BenQ VH3247 back in 2008, it's a 32" 720P AMVA panel with support for 1080P inputs, has big boomy speakers and still works to this day in the living room.

I bought a 40" 10BIT Sharp panel LED TV for less than what I paid for the BenQ 2 years ago.

Probably not upgrading until OLEDs become mainstream. Those LG OLEDs holy shit those colors.

That said even a 40" seems a bit small when I visit friends and relatives and they all have 65"+ LED TVs those rich fucks.

If your dad sits far enough away from the old CRT it shouldn't be a problem, unless it's some shit tier chink brand that didn't pass safety, but yeah, replace it ASAP from your description it could fry at any moment, picture is probably all redish and distorted too.
>>
>>51677543
The colours of the corners of the screen can get distorted when there's a strong magnetic field, like a speaker. if there is one, try moving it away.
>>
>>51677543
landing may just be off. You can adjust that from the service menu on most modern CRTs. I used to be a TV tech.
>>
you can fix your TV is you find an old microwave, open the metal cover, take out the main circular thing (this is called a magnetron) , it will usually have a pink or green or some type of colord bit on the top

this is a special ceramic bit
break it off

now crush this special ceramic up

yes, thats right, trust me on this one

sprinkle the powder on the back of the TV, through the vent holes, while the TV is OFF

now turn the tv ON

wait 15 seconds, turn the tv OFF

shake the tv

and the problem should be fixed

you can thank me now
>>
File: DSC_0237.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0237.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
Environmentalists and the government greatly exaggerated about poisonous stuff. Yes it's dangerous but you'd have to be like licking it to cause any damage to yourself. Can't throw away a TV anywhere anymore, you have to find an electronics recycler. I myself have a 32" Westinghouse LED TV. I like it myself but don't watch TV a whole lot.
>>
>>51679077

Wow don't listen to this faggot.
That ceramic shit his immensely cancerous. Crushing it into powder is literally the most toxic shit you can possibly encounter in your life.
>>
>>51679091

facing the rear side of a CRT isn't too smart

i don't think this would be safe in a work environment for 8 hours a day where the back side of a CRT is directly infront of you from a neighboring cubicle
>>
>>51679113
I don't think CRT is used much in a modern work environment anymore anyway.
>>
>>51677543
>I heard CRTs are full of lead and phosphorous, and now I'm a little concerned that it's leaking
yea, leaded glass (filters radiation), and phosphors on the color mask, neither of which are gaseous
a leaking crt will not work at all, but is otherwise safe
>>
>>51679169
Still used in video production because it most closely resembles a projector.

Not used a ton regardless.

side note, the wendy's next to where I live uses old terminal monochrome green crts and what seems to be an ncurses interface. pretty cool imo.
>>
>>51679169
I serviced computers for an ad/brochure printing company last year and all their computers still used CRTs of varying sizes, they were blurry shit and the refreshrates hurt my eyes but their boss said that those CRTs had better color accuracy.

Holy fuck just get a color calibrated TN you fucking cheapskate.

I moved to 17" LCDs back in 2001~2002 I can't believe companies are still forcing the eye cancer shit CRTs upon their employees. Those weren't even high tier CRTs they were generic 15~17" crap CRTs, a few of them weren't even flat screens and some had broken buttons so you couldn't even tweak their settings anymore.
>>
>>51679393
I meant IPS not TN.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.