[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newbie Film Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
Introduce someone who has never taken or edited a video in their life to found footage cinematography. I want to make a series of short films, sort of abstract yet tells a story. I don't plan on it having excellent camera work, but camera wise I would love for it to have a blair witch feel to it. Any help on low budget cameras, and information on how to start this would be absolutely greatly appreciated.
>>
>>51674576
SJ4000, basically a gopro on a budget. Wifi version can be viewed and controlled on a smartphone from up to 30M away for more restrictive shots where you can't be right next to the camera.
>>
>>51674605
I have the original gopro hero, but I never really thought of using that for anything besides action shots.
>>
>>51674638
When making amateur films budget for actual story, and other things instead of blowing it all on a camera.
>>
>>51674576
>low budget

What exactly is the budget? Low budget can be $200 or $2,000
>>
just rent a camera, gopros are fucking useless for anything other than reality shows and drone shots
>>
>>51674812
Well Robert Rodriguez filmed El Mariachi with 7K, around 12K adjusted for inflation, OP should have at least that much unless he only needs it for a school project/youtube/showing it to his friends
>>
>>51674876
I have an 18k total budget, most is going towards plot and other things.
>>
Rent your shit. And don't skimp on audio or lighting. Cameras you can go cheap and still get good results, but ONLY if your lighting and sound are good. Otherwise it'll be complete shit m8.

Also there's sometimes /fmg/s over on /tv/ you can lurk/ask questions in. They're usually a lot friendlier than the screenwriting clique
>>
See if your local community college has courses in video production and learn proper pre-production, camerawork, and editing techniques. By learning proper methods, you'll more effectively know how to do it "improperly." Or how make it informal looking, but not shit.

Hook up with your local film making community and assist with their projects. If they're not YouTube vlogger trash, you'll can learn by watching and asking questions. Bonus, build up trust and many will be happy to lend you equipment and help for your own projects.

I'll let others argue of the "best" camera to get, but since you're plan a blair-witch found-footage style film, keep in mind the way people handle a dslr/mirrorless camera is different than how they handle a camcorder, or a prosumer video camera.
>>
A good entry-level film camera is really just a canon DSLR, and it's easy to rent different lenses you need (though you shouldn't need very many if you're just doing low-tech shit anyway)
>>
>>51674876
He also had to deal with film stock & development, editing bays, and transfer services.
Today that can be all done with a smartphone and home computer. Add $100-200 if you add a lens adapter (I believe Rodriguez shot El Mariachi with two lenses,) and nicer sound equipment.

And if you stay up all night, you can have a 1 day turn around time, and get back out the next day for any pick up shots.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.