[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SSDechnology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
Just got my first SSD ever, after having a 5400 RPM HD on my laptop.

Shit's glorious, windows total load time, from loading screen to being fully responsive was in the 2-3 minutes range, now it's about 7 seconds.

It's another dimension of existence, feels good bros.

Also tried RAPID mode, wasn't that good, I turned it off.

The SSD is Evo 850 250GB
>>
>>51671228
Yeah, SSDs are great in laptops.
Doesn't make much of a difference in a desktop, though.
>>
>>51671255
Nigger what
Are you serious right now?
>>
>>51671255
how so, standard desktop HDD is 7200RPM, it still is slow by many factors compared to an SSD
>>
File: new_boot.png (30 KB, 600x740) Image search: [Google]
new_boot.png
30 KB, 600x740
>>51671271
Sorry, let me rephrase:
"SSDs are great in laptops, or if you're a retard who just clicks 'next' through installers and ends up with 100 startup items and 12 toolbars. Otherwise, it doesn't make much of a difference."

>>51671286
>slow
This was the boot off a 55MB/s 8MB cache 80GB hard drive from 2006. Slow, huh?

Most programs come up in a second off a hard drive. A SSD doesn't improve that. Photoshop/GIMP, sure, a SSD is nice to knock down the minute long startups. But overall it doesn't make much of a difference.
>>
>>51671468
On a scale from 1 to 10, how retarded are you exactly?
>>
>>51671468
Are toolbars still a thing?
Also no, having such a slow boot-up was a traumatizing experience over the years, I developed the habit of constantly shutting as much as I can anything that takes load time, still, 5200RPM takes its time to lift up Windows.
>>
>>51671468
>"SSDs are great in laptops, or if you're a retard who just clicks 'next' through installers and ends up with 100 startup items and 12 toolbars. Otherwise, it doesn't make much of a difference."

...u wot, m8?
>>
>>51671468
Hahahah wow what? Have you ever actually used an SSD?
>>
>>51671577
I'm on one now. I "upgraded" from the 80GB system drive above, which I had left as a system drive for over a year after I had picked up a 180MB/s 1TB because the 80GB was so fast that I couldn't be assed to reinstall Windows on the new one.
That little Caviar Blue did most everything fast, and the difference between it and the SSD is underwhelming.

I have a computer in the other room with a 500GB AAKX. It runs just fine.
>>
>>51672019
If you can't tell the difference between your typical desktop mechanical drive and typical desktop SSD then you're doing something seriously wrong. Fresh install of say Win7 on each and tell me that it SSD isn't a lot faster. Try running a game with lots of resources to cache like ArmA 3 and tell me you can't see a difference.

8/8 for getting me to reply.
>>
File: Graph.png (63 KB, 433x932) Image search: [Google]
Graph.png
63 KB, 433x932
>>51672063
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2270087
>>
Are you using SATA 3 on your solid state?
Can you name your HDD and your SSD?
>>
>>51671468
hmm i am finding it very hard to believe that when i had windows booting from 15k scsi slower than that even when bootvis was used to tune things.
>>
>>51672498
this goes to:
>>51671468
>>
>>51671255
>>51671271
>>51671286
>>51671468
>>51671544
>>51671557
>>51671577
>>51672063
>>51672167

The dude who says there's no much difference between SSD and HDD is probably:

1.Using the slowest SSD on the slowest interface and comparing it to the fastest HDDs.

2.Some mobos must activate manually the AHCI option for an SSD to function like one.

3.Hardware/Software conflict/incompatibility

Or a combination of those or something much worse.

Logically speaking, does he think that he has the objective point of reference of the performance and every other single person and benchmark is having a placebo effect?

We're not talking here about 30-60% increase (something that would be huge in other areas like CPU GPU RAM, and would cost dearly to pay that difference) but orders of magnitude of performance difference in both benchmarks and real application.
>>
File: boot.png (39 KB, 960x702) Image search: [Google]
boot.png
39 KB, 960x702
>>51672542
Here it is with the X2 5200+ it was originally specced with. Previous graph was after I switched out to a Phenom II X4 945 in a 570 SLI mobo.

15k SCSI firmware is optimized for true random access, not the localized access patterns of desktop drives. 7200RPM hard drives have performed right up there with 15k enterprise in desktop tasks for a long time.
>>
>>51672819
that is crazy fast for windows xp back then
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.