[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>want to password protect external HDD >decide to go with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
>want to password protect external HDD
>decide to go with Veracrypt
>encryption process was gonna take awhile since HDD had over 600 GB worth of shit on it
>leave and go to class
>cum back
>Computer is in sleep mode
>heart stops
>run to the comp and check on encryption process
>sleep mode interrupted the encryption.
>god pls dont do this to me.gif
>Veracrypt tries to pick up where it left off
>it cant. just goes into a perpetual cycle of downloading
>all my files were lost
>I didnt make a back up
>all those movies, games, books gone
>like tears in the rain
>mfw
>>
Damn, that sucks but at least all you lost was a bunch of media. Back up your shit before you do anything to a drive with stuff on it. Better yet, just back up your shit. It doesn't feel good but you learned and important lesson today.
>>
>>51668679
Lesson learned.
Make sure comp isnt scheduled to go into sleep mode when doing shit like this.
>>
That sucks man, but encryption without backup and not checking what your OS will be doing is a learning experience at least.
>>
What is your os ? I am pretty sure windows wouldn't do that with a running process like that
>>
>>51668790
It was windows
>>
>>51668628
Why the fuck wouldn't you make a backup first off. Secondly why would you try encrypting data you have no backup of? Only yourself to blame OP. Countless things could go wrong during the encryption process that could fuck everything up. Should have moved all the data off the drive, encrypted the entire drive, then moved everything over. Or at least made an encrypted container big enough to hold all the stuff so you can mount the container when needed.

Lesson learned and all that I suppose huh OP?
>>
>>51668932
but at a terrible price :^(
>>
>>51668948
Related
>>
>encrypt my shit
>backup encrypted files on three different HDD
>wipe unencrypted copies
>forgot password
fuck
>>
>>51668790
Why exactly would windows not go to sleep when "a process like that" is running? Nothing sets veracrypt apart from other processes. What IS possible is that programs disable hibernation while they run, like most torrent clients do. Don't think veracrypt does that.
>>
>>51669042
>not writing your password down on a piece of paper that you have wrapped around your dick at all times
>>
>>51669068
how am I supposed to constantly jerk off if there's paper wrapped around my dick?
>>
File: fff.gif (184 KB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
fff.gif
184 KB, 500x394
>>51669068
>writing your password on a piece of paper
>>
>>51668628
>software doesn't disable sleep mode
>encrypting movies and random shit for no reason

You and that developer are both retarded.
>>
>>51669176
Listen fuck wagon.
I wanted to encrypt my HDD because I take it with me when I travel and I wouldn't want someone to get ahold of it. Perfectly good reason to encrypt.
>>
>>51669130
>having it on your brain when you could be tortured to give up the information, compromising your thousands of gigabyte of neko loli
>>
Changed from Truecrypt to Veracrypt and the bootloader is slow as fuck. Takes longer to vericate than it took to boot before I got an SSD
>>
>>51669130
I really really like this gif
>>
>encrypting shit in place

I have never done this and now I will never even try. Thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>51669237
>oh know, now the thief will be able to watch my pirated copy of star wars
>better encrypt my 1tb of hollywood movies next time
>>
>>51669720
I also had nude pics of me on it so yeah....
>>
Winkeks deserve this
>>
so whats the point of encrypting data?
>>
>having your computer set to automatically go to sleep
Why do people do this? It's fucking retarded. When is this ever useful?
>>
>>51669800
So you don't get Mad Thadded
>>
>setting computer/plugged in laptop to automatically sleep

this is your fault and your fault alone
>>
>>51669845
Save the earth man
>>
>>51669749
Why don't you just encryp the things you don't want people to see?
>>
>>51670180
or you could just lock you're workplace when u r not werkin/browsing/doign schtuff
>>
File: cain.jpg (56 KB, 480x481) Image search: [Google]
cain.jpg
56 KB, 480x481
>>51671189
>mfw I turn off my monitors and everyone thinks the computer is off
>>
>>51668702
>letting your desktop sleep
>ever
it's a lesson we all learn someday
>>
>>51670180
doesn't matter when your power is hydro and nuclear
>>
File: MfsHJ98.jpg (26 KB, 500x438) Image search: [Google]
MfsHJ98.jpg
26 KB, 500x438
>>51668628
>god
Hahahahahahahahha
>>
>encrypting a drive full of data instead of creating an encrypted partition on a new drive and copying the data into it
>>
>>51669465
Set your PIM, use a low number like 20
You will have to re-encrypt everything
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.