[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 5
File: steam_controller_512.png (33 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
steam_controller_512.png
33 KB, 512x512
I've had my steam controller for a month now, if you have any questions I can answer, but does anymore anons have one? how are you liking it? best purchase of 2015 for me.
>>
>>51667939
How does it work with muh shootan games because that's all I play.
>>
>>51667939
Sem?
>>
>spork
>>
>>51667964
works fantastically for anything non competitive, I've been trying and trying with CS but i just cant get it down to as much precision as KBM.

that being said, having the gyro makes it really awesome to aim, sort of splatoon like, it works great.
>>
Does it work with emulators? Have you tried using it as a Wii controller?
>>
The only controller I've really used all my life is an Xbox controller sk, what will the change be like? What's the single joystick like, idk man it just seems a little wierd.
>>
>>51667997
>inb4 redirection to /v/
>>
>>51668018
Go to work anthony
>>
>>51667939
Arethose two circles touch sensitive? If so what's the purpose of the cross on the left one? How does it work in something like Super Meat Boy?
>>
>>51668099
Not OP but the circles are touch pads but they can also be pressed like dpads.
>>
>>51668066
yes it does, as long as you have your emulator on your steam library and open it through there. one of my main reasons for buying
>>
>>51668116
Oh, nice. I also wonder how it would work with something like Killer Instainct Gold via Project64 (you have those semicircles to do to combos and specials).
>>
>>51668068
if you think of it as a track pad, it helps most people i've noticed, but it's much more precise when you need it to be, and you can turn faster by flicking your thumb across it. I've been using my xbox controller for at least 7 years on my PC but i can never go back now.
>>
Can you use it to play the witcher 3 that's registered under GoG?
>>
Raspberry pi general plus OP
>>
>>51668077
I'm Jacob bud :^)

>>51668099
I've never played super meat boy :(.
but the cross is to help with movement, i prefer using the pad for movement, i dislike the stick being there i would have preferred a proper D-pad. again look at them as track pads like on a laptop. and like anon above me said, they're buttons too, theres even an option in the setting to set up the right pad as a menu too select hot keys, a little menu shows up on screen and you can choose images like armor, skills, or a map for adventure games, or a rifle, pistol, and a knife, for a hotting game, its pretty neat. but i use it for movement
>>
>>51668201
any game that can be put in your steam library you can play, so yes, ive played ESO which i bought before it was on steam, by adding it to my library on there, and it worked flawlessly.
>>
I bought one, I like it a lot. not as amazing as I thought, But when I move in with some roommates next month. my steam link and steam controller gonna come in handy as fuck. I'm probably gonna order another one.
>>
>>51668229
How does it work with cracked games? :^)
>>
>>51668066
Any controller works with dolphin
>>
>>51668276
i didn't really understand the point of the steam link, i have a really long HDMI cable, so when i want to play games on the couch, i just switch over my display and head over there.

>>51668298
what are cracked game? if they can be addded to the steam library they should be able to work though.
>>
>>51668176
Thanks senpai, it looks 10/10 desu.
>>
>>51668346
>what are cracked game?
Free :^) this for instance ( can be any cracked game, I just wonder whether it detects it as XBOX controller or if I'll get kb+mouse prompts)
https://thepiratebay.vg/torrent/5786928/Mafia_II-SKIDROW_%28Mafia_2%29
I did not try to add it to Steam library though. Afaik you can add it, but it acts just as a shortcut.
>>
That's seems a very stupid question, but can you use it as keyboard/mouse replacement for a linux system ?
Basically, I'm on my computer use my keyboard & mouse. Can I stop using them to be on my sofa, launch firefox with the steam controller, make a quick search, launch a youtube video ?
Or can I start a music player and configure the steam controller to act as a remote ? (start or stop a song, next or previous song...)
>>
When can I get it to work without steem
>>
>>51667939
I love it as an ordinary controller because I have large hands
I like the dual-stage triggers
I like the trackpad + gyro for shootan gayms
I love the new keyboard for big picture mode
I can't wrap my head around the grip buttons, but that's just me being stupid I guess

>>51668412
adding a game to your steam library allows you to configure controls in big picture like for any steam game
>>
>>51667939
>>>/v/
>>
Can you configure and use without steam?
>>
>>51668437
when someone makes free softwareâ„¢ drivers
>>
>>51668346
it streams steam from your gaming computer to a tiny box that you can hook several controllers into.

IE I am going to have my computer in my room and the steam link in the living room for friends and roommates to use.
>>
>>51668346
>>51668616
and the damn steam link is hooked to your tv.
forgot to add that.
>>
>>51668436
I've never tried it with linux, I'm on win10, but i can use it to navigate the desktop very easily, even pull up a on screen keyboard that works really well with the two trackpads, i would assume yes though.

>>51668572
i think the grips are jsut going tro take some getting used to, i keep forgetting they're there, the gyro is really great for simulation games, like elite dangerous, just moving my controller to the left or right to open the menus is sooo amazing, a good filler till i get a vive.

>>51668583
im afraid not, at least not yet that i know of.

also newfag here, do i have to verify I'm not a robot every fucking time i make a post?
>>
>>51668575
you can use the controller on the desktop, making it a fantastic HMPC controller, that's technology IMO.
>>
can you play eve online with it?

how does it work with homeworld?

does it play shooters well?

are you gay?
>>
I've had one since they sent the first batch out.
First of all, it sucks for anyone with short thumbs.
That means that if you've got white-European male genetics, this controller was literally designed for you. For anyone else, your thumbs are gonna be too short, this will affect how you grip the controller.
>>
>>51668865
any game that can be added to your steam library, so yes

no idea never played it, but games that require mouse movement its fantastic, legened of grimrock is a good example, unplayable wiht a 360 controller, but really great with the trackpads.

yes it does very well, takes a lot of practice to master, so don't expect it to replace KBM in CS anytime soon.

only for the right price.

next time read more than the first post
>>
>>51668901
I'm at about 65mm for my thumb length, whats yours at? OP btw
>>
I play almost all my pc games with an xbox controller

is the steam controller any better? more universal? (some games dont do well with xbx controller)

It seems like the comment "good for non competitive gaming" is like a subtle way of saying it sucks ass
>>
>>51668774
>you can throw shit on your TV to turn it on, that's technology IMO
>>
>>51668949
Don't have one, but I feel like if your hands get sweaty, and u touch the dpad, it'll think that's ur pressing up or something on the dpad
>>
>>51668949
much much much more universal, imagine any game that you need to use a mouse for, and its easy to play, stuff like sim city, or MMO's, my best example again is Legend of Grimrock, there's no possible way to play that with a xbox controller and have any hope for success.
its miles ahead of the xbox controller, i cant see any advantage to using the xbox controller at this point, im more precise, and i have a metric shit ton of more options available to me to configure

i'm saying not good for competitive, because its very hard to master, i could see people getting incredible with it, but its going to take a lot more practice, but its hard to compete when you play against KBM users, guys that have 15+ years of experience with that set up. as opposed to my 2 weeks you know?
>>
>>51669039
League of legends/dota 2 with steam controller.

Go or no go?

(Would be fun for novelty in house trolling)
>>
>>51668996
it fits here, and on games, i saw it fitting more in g because it does more than just play games, and seeing the arcade stick thread earlier it definitely fits.

>>51669019
I'm a sweaty guy, palms are my worst part, i have never once had that issue, and you can change the dead zone on the pad to whatever you want it to be, or just take your thumb off it. have you ever had a laptops track pad move the mouse in strange ways because your thumb had some sweat on it?
>>
>>51669056
not much of a MOBA player, but from what I've heard, its way better, and going off memory from playing LOL i could see it being much easier to play, you'd have your attacks set to ABXY your cursor on the right pad, and all 6 triggers set to any mouse type things. it is very easy top customize to your liking
>>
File: QKCQg3v.jpg (578 KB, 2848x2134) Image search: [Google]
QKCQg3v.jpg
578 KB, 2848x2134
>>51667939
They should have made it with a trackball on the right side instead of the touchpad. The touchpad is garbage compared to a trackball. The touchpad needs heaps of smoothing to not spazz out and smoothing makes the input less precise. Trackball is super precise and needs no smoothing to compensate for jitter.

They also could have used a physical keypad, preferably with built in driver support to type in windows. The steam on screen keyboard that can now be used anywhere is revolutionary as far as on screen keyboards are concerned but again, a physical keyboard is superior.

The left touchpad is the only truly great feature. Using it as a scroll wheel is fantastic and the ability to create several different bind setups for it is also revolutionary.

The gyroscope feature is the biggest definition of, "what could have been". Their failure to include a magnetometer to compensate for drift is the blunder of the century. Motion control is truly great when done properly but theirs just misses the mark.

The shape of the controller plain and simply isn't comfortable. The DS4 and XB1 shapes are far more comfortable to hold. The grips are too bulky and inverted it feels bad to use but you can sorta get used to it -- I'd rather not have to.

Overall the right touchpad is an improvement over an analog stick for anything you'd otherwise have to control a camera or cursor for such as FPS games or point and click games. Analog sticks objectively lack the speed and precision of a digital touchpad but again, a trackball would have been miles better here.

Also overall I don't like the haptic feedback. It doesn't feel anything like a trackball. It works on the scroll wheel but that's not what I bought the controller for. Again, a real trackball would have been better.

The profiles feature has insane potential and will be the reason this controller has staying power. As the community profiles get better so will the lure of this controller increase.

Good HTPC pad.
>>
>>51667939
I love it.
>>
I liked it until they patched out the Demoman charge-turning exploit in TF2. Now it's fucking useless, again.
>>
>>51667939
it looks retarded
>>
>>51667939
does anymore anons have one?
I do, m8.
how are you liking it?
I fucking love it.

The Steam controller is like the perfect controller for the Elder Scrolls games, since half of the controls feel ideal for an Xbox 360 controller and the other half feel ideal for mouse + keyboard, so the Steam controller balances that out.
>>
>>51670413
must have modeled it after ur mother
>>
>>51667939
What i truly hate about the Steam controller is how hard it is to replace the batteries. The batteries go into the two grips, and it scrapes the bottom of the batteries as you load'em into the controller and push them into place.
>>
literally fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>51671230
>>51668575
>>51668073

Any semblance of critical discussion cannot happen in /v/. Stop trying to suggest that pisspoor excuse of a board where people don't even play video game to talk about video gaming hardware.
>>
>>51667939
>>51671251
The bumpers on the steam controller do feel crappy in comparison to Xbone controller. I own the Steam and the Elite, so this becomes even more pronounced.

Basically, I wished that Valve went the premium route with the controller. The remapping interface beats everybody else and the trackpad is better than I thought as well, but god it feels cheap in the hands.
>>
>>51671251
then fuck off back to reddit where drones like you belong you fucking tool
>>
>>51668934
I don't have calipers on me.
>>
>>51671349
>use "literally"
>call anyone else a redditor
Shaking my head, family.
>>
>>51670299
Trackballs are a terrible idea for a controller. They only work upright and the mechanism gets gummed up.
Source: I use an elecom mxt-1 as my primary pointing device.
>>
>>51671349
>using profanity like a babbling buffoon on /g/

I question where you ought to be with you foaming around your mouth, but I digress.

>>51667939
Steam controller doesn't have that wireless dongle DRM that we see with Xbox one controller. Full linux functionality should come on the steam controller without needing that pic picture mode, and that's something none of the other controllers out there will match.
>>
>>51668996
And what's a technology thread to you anon, desktop threads and media player generals?
>>
>>51667939
Is it good for other genres, like platformers? I've heard it's pretty great for shooters but I'm wary of how it'd be on most other genres. RPGs, platformers, fighting games, etc
>>
>>51671510
Not the OP. I go back to using the xbone controller for JRPG come to think of it. It's not if the Steam controller couldn't do the job, but my bias is that it's at its best for games that requires you to manipulate mouse cursor
>>
Will the D-Pad petform in fast er beat'em ups like Mortal Kombat as well, the XBox 360 fails to do so. Combos tend to fail due to unwanted inputs.
>>
>>51667939
A controller defeats the whole purpose of playing on PC tbeh famm
>>
>>51671572
No, no it will not. Don't even think of the left pad as a dpad, you'll just get disappointed.
>>
>>51668744
you didn't answered the second question.
Can you configure the controller to easily start a program, next, previous, start/pause a song and other things like that ?
Would be awesome if you could turn it into some kind of remote
>>
How is the controller for an RPG like fallout, that's what I mostly play
>>
>>51667939
How good is the feedback on the touchpads?

I have a nvidia shield tablet, and even though it has good hardware, using emulators on it is fucking garbage because without any feedback telling me my position on the "joystick", I can't easily use it. This is why I have been so skeptical of the steam controller: with a joystick, you have that spring telling you exactly how far from the center position you are. Classic touchpads don't have that.

Are my fears unfounded?
>>
>>51671830
The feedback isn't based on how close your thumb is to the center, but the analog stick mode (which you don't need to use most of the time) has a function to center the stick where ever on the pad you started from. I feel like I didn't word that well.
>>
>>51667939
I have one as well. The hardware is great but the software is beta-tier at best, to the point where I can't use it for the main reason I got it. It's easily, EASILY much more accurate, faster and more flexible than a typical controller. It blows analog sticks straight out of the water for any sort of precision or quick aiming and it's much better for actual pointing purposes.

Still, there are shitloads of software issues. It's a typical modern Valve product. Great concept, great core functionality, but no polish and half finished at best. Here's hoping they actually polish it up on the software side and don't leave it barely capable of doing its job for years like IHS.
>can't easily use community profiles on non-Steam games
>haptic feedback is fucked over IHS, I got this to play the occasional game in the living room
>gyro mouse doesn't work over IHS at all
>in Windows, it doesn't work with all applications unless Steam is running as admin (Task Manager, On Scree Keyboard, TeamSpeak for some reason, etc.)
>if it turns off while playing, it "forgets" the game profile you were using when you turn it back on
>no toggle mode shifts
>no toggle switching the gyro on/off
>the very bottom-right edge of the right touchpad doesn't work in games, but it senses just fine in the Steam test, so clearly it's not a hardware issue
>all configuration has to be done through BPM
>>
>>51671888
Can you set analog stick mode to assume center of pad is rest position?
>>
>>51671628
>the whole purpose
That LITERALLY means the ONLY reason to play PC is for keyboard. Perhaps freedom to use different medium's of input is a reason to use PC? No it's to use keyboard and that's it. No modding, multitasking, graphics, no KEYBOARD is why we use PC :^D
>>
>>51671936
Yes.

>>51671926
>in Windows, it doesn't work with all applications unless Steam is running as admin (Task Manager, On Scree Keyboard, TeamSpeak for some reason, etc.)
I had the same issue with the DS4. afaik programs running in admin mode can't be touched in any way by programs that aren't. That could be totally wrong but that's how it seems.
Even better is how Steam has a nag screen when its run as admin.
>>
>>51671988
That's what I thought and it's probably something similar to that, but it's not just applications that run as admin that don't work. I don't run TeamSpeak as admin, for instance, there's no need to do that, and it still doesn't work.
>>
>>51671926
You know what? I felt that Valve did a better job that Microshit's Xbox accessories app to configure the Elite controller. When I got the Elite controller on launch date, the pos app couldn't detect and hold a connection with my controller in wireless mode, and I must be wired to remap, and the options were not even fully labeled at that.

Steam controller's remapping was more mature than that, which made me think about just how little MS gives a shit about Win10 use cases for their Elite controller. It took a month before I can configure the Elite wirelessly through that app on the PC.
>>
>>51671988
Even so, you only get 360 functionality while keeping steam on. As things are right now, you can only tap into the full potential of the controller if you use it in big picture mode.
>>
>>51671400
>They only work upright
that's wrong. I'm literally holding my thumb trackball upside down right after I type this

>the mechanism gets gummed up
They're incredibly easy to clean. Just pop the ball out and rub it off in your shirt. It's nothing like cleaning the old ball mice where you had to take a pick to clean the rollers if that's what you're thinking.

>Source: I use an elecom mxt-1 as my primary pointing device
Elecom must use some shit components then because my logitech doesn't have any noteworthy issues in this regard and they could always use better components and it would never be a problem like on the CST L-Trac's use quality components and the rollers can clean themselves.
>>
>>51671888
I feel like you missed my question just a bit. I know it has feedback, I was wondering how good the feedback is in comparison to a mouse or joystick? Can you tell relative position of your finger to starting point without ever looking at the controller, in a pinch without thinking about it?
>>
>>51672023
>>51671926
Sorry for derailing over to bash MS, but I do think that Steam controller is capable of way more even with the software being a work in progress. What can be done with a 360 controller through say xpadder is nothing in comparison to what can be achieved in that big picture mode with the steam controller.
>>
>>51672023
I've no idea how bad that Elite controller is with Windows, I never used one and probably won't ever get one, not with the ridiculous price on it and with the Steam controller existing.
>>
>>51672039
I got it because I have a laptop laying around I could dedicate to big picture and in home streaming, so that's fine for me.
>>51672083
I didn't get what you meant by feedback. Maybe after getting used to the controller it would be easier to tell, but I haven't used it a ton yet. I still use my 360 or XB1 controllers if I need to use the normal joystick mode.
>>
>>51672083
The thing is, relative position doesn't matter. The shape of the pads makes it far easier to keep your thumbs on them. It's unlike any touchpad. It's just not an issue. The feedback could help with this I guess but I have no issue with it when I turn the feedback off. You don't need the haptic feedback to keep your thumbs positioned, at all.
>>
File: controllers.jpg (481 KB, 2125x1196) Image search: [Google]
controllers.jpg
481 KB, 2125x1196
>>51672098
After having the Steam, Xbone and DS4, I can say without a doubt that the Steam is the one that will improve the most on the software side, and when Valve improve on the ergonomics and the feel of it to match what the others boast, then we have no reason to consider the other alternatives.

I wonder if Valve may move to using BT 4.0 in the future. If it does, then the steam controller would be able to easily work on android as well.
>>
>>51667939
Is Diablo3 playable with this? (assuming i added it in the library, ofc)
>>
>>51672179
yes, but it takes some time getting used to using the touchpad to move about.
>>
>>51668436
Ya just get an on screen keyboard for Linux
>>
>>51672152
I don't mean keeping my hands in contact with the paf, I meant relative position to the zero point. Think about a joystick: the farther you move the stick from center, the faster your character moves. The joystick has a spring that tells you how close to zero speed you are, making controlling speed easy without having to physically look at the controller.

With a mouse, this is a non-issue, as I have an entire desk to move it across, so how fast I yank determines movement speed.

I wanted to know if the steam pad approaches this in feedback. I already know I would fucking hate it with feedback turned off, as I have used a pad like that before, and I could never fucking tell where my finger is on the pad. I read that it has amazing haptic feedback to fix that issue, so I was wondering if anyone could confirm.
>>
>>51672201
ok, i already had it in my cart when i said "wait for the reviews"
may really make the purchase tomorrow.
>>
>>51672267
I'd rather not buy it through gamestop. The return policy sucks. We haven't got much of a choice on the matter though.
>>
>>51668865
>can you play eve online with it?
I once played eve with a DS3 controller
it wasn't _horrible_ when you set binds up right, but don't expect to do any typing
>>
>>51672305
living in middle eu, gamestop is not an option, but thanks for the tip.
I'd buy it directly from the steam store.
>>
>>51672265
In general, the left side pad feels very good for these types of inputs so I'm gonna guess yes as my only comparison is as a scroll wheel. Where you keep your thumb on the pad rather than flick the pad ala mouse, the feedback feels very precise and gives excellent relative positioning.
>>
>>51667939
Can it be used without Steam now?
>>
what are the best games to play with the steam controller?
>>
>>51667939
Yep i also got it just 2 days ago. Didnt play at all as waiting for weeekend. I sold a knife in cs go and bought this shit
>>
>>51667939

I have it, it's the future of controllers, any controller from here on out that doesn't have a mouse pad like this is a evolutionary dead end
>>
>>51667939
>I've had my steam controller for a month
HAHAHAHHAAHAH
he fell for it guys
>>
>>51667939
How well does it work for

>GTA V
>The Witcher 3
>DiRT Rally
>>
interested
>>
>>51667939
hardware is great, the software sucks a dick though.
>>
why the software sucks ? There's a lot of people saying that itt.
Also, how is games like RPG d2-like (PoE, diablo 2, torchlight...) ?
>>
File: 4L_bjwjuTSv.jpg (57 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
4L_bjwjuTSv.jpg
57 KB, 640x960
I got mine 2 days ago, for TF2 it's fantastic and beats the pants off whatever built in support or mouse/keyboard emulation things you could use with a normal gamepad. The gyro helps a lot once you get used to it, just don't be too aggressive with it. I don't play Sniper so I can't say for its precision for that, and the game's interface for choosing Engineer/Spy options are awkward at the moment. That could be changed in future though, I think s radial menu style option would solve that and you could bind those options as a Touch Menu instead.

It's good for general web browsing where you don't need to type much, though the onscreen keyboard takes some getting used to.

Having tried Super Meat Boy and Super Mario Bros 3 using both the analogue stick and the left "d-pad", I can say I wouldn't generally use it for platformers. I'm a stickler for a good dpad, and my other go-to controller, the Wii U Pro controller, beats the pants off it (only the original SNES pad beats it in my books).
I don't play Dota so I can't say for that, but I've already had a full game of Civ V with it with no problems once you get used to whatever bindings you set up.

tl;dr it's good for much more precise aiming than a controller, great for general use, mildly okay for platformers unless you like using analogue stick for moving. Experiment with the key binding options for best results
>>
>>51673414
The software is annoying because you can only configure it in big picture mode. And it functions (not great but it does the job) for Torchlight, can't speak for the others.
>>
>>51671205
whats your fucking point? the batteries are probably the best designed implementation i have seen n something like this, they add a bit of weight to each side of the controller, and when you want them out, you dont have to jam a pen in there to try and pop them out, toy push the tab that comes down up...

love that design, and because it uses AA's i never have to plug it in or worry about the battery losing its max load over time.

>>51671337
50$ or 150$, if that 150$ controller didnt win out in build it would be fucking sad, that said, standard controller wise, steam beats it, and when you take track pads into consideration, it beats it again.

>>51671430
that said, it still has kind of wireless drm in a way as you need a proprietary dongle to use it, but that's more for speed than it is for fucking you over.

>>51671510
playing a rouge like with it right now, the dpad is easily my favorite d pad i own, setting it to touch instead of press... like i said last time though i need to try it out on a fighting game.

>>51671926
where is this steam test? i want to see what valuse my controller shits out.

>>51672023
xpadder takes a shit on both steam and microsoft.

>>51672267
as much as i live the controller, dont, steams software end is such shit right now it makes what is arguably the best controller you can get crap.

this will get fixed, but no idea a time frame.

i have also updated the firmware something like 3 times sense i got it, i hate this as i never like relying on a company if they brick my hardware to replace it... you may want to hold off on this till its not firmware updating so often too.

>>51672656
for racing, the gyro is easily better than analog sticks but takes getting use to. witcher 3 and gta 5 have xbox controller support, so steam would be better for them.
>>
>>51667939
How is it for total war/company of heroes?

Or playing chivalry/mountain blade?
>>
>>51671430
>Steam controller doesn't have that wireless dongle DRM that we see with Xbox one controller.
Is it literally just bluetooth?
>>
>>51668436
you could set the right and left track pad as 16 position pads, and get a-z on it, possibly double up one of them and get 1-0 on it too...

>>51668437
>>51668583

as of now its tied to big picture mode.

>>51668865
for shooters, its worlds better than xbox but below kbm

rts... i dont play them, but i cant imagine using the controller for one.

as for eve... i have to many hot keys for the controller in an mmo i actually play, so while i want to say you can, its just going to be limited.

>>51668934
70-75 for me, i have no issue useing it.
>>
>>51673925
Nah it uses a dongle.
>>
>>51673807
Where's it made in?
>>
>>51674169
North korea
>>
Posting in shill thread
>>
>>51668949
if you are competitive, you are trying to be teh best of the best, a controller is objectively worse for fps games as an example, there are many others that have their "best of the best" peripherals.

this is easily better than a xbox controller though.

>>51671572
so far it works great as a d pad, still have to play a fighting game though but setting it up as a 4 way works pretty well.

>>51671781
fallout as in 1 or as in 4? if you mean 4, its an fps with rpg like mechanics, it works, but keyboard mouse is better, if you mean fallout 1, you should be able to map everything you need to the controller.

>>51672083
controller in hand, i always hit just about the middle of the track pad, so if i set a 15-20% dead zone for the center, it would function exactly like a thumbstick, and if you dont know where your thumb is in relation to the pad, you may have bigger issues than the controller.

>>51673414

tied to big picture mode for one, i find xpadder more versatile and easy to set up binds, i personally dont want steam hud on in games, or bpm on, but im required to use it, i would much more like a universal app, and i switch out profiles manually,

i have a logitech mouse and macro pad, if i let logitech decided what to do, it occasionally fucks up and forgets the program i have open, giving me a completely different set of inputs.

where as with xpadder (something i wanted the logitech shit to work with but it doesn't) i set up the macros as i want and they are there, they dont go away, if you gave me a drop down menu of games, and than gave me 4-10 profile slots each (think a racing game, i have one for gyro play, one for traditional, one for traditional but with touch pads, and i have others for friends who want to have a go) that would be the best... but its not a thing.
>>
>>51674169
assembled in the usa
>>
>>51673925
>>51673946
yes and no, it uses a proprietary bluetooth signal so it connects in under a second once it's turned on and i think so it doesn't get interference.

>>51674210
honestly, it's the best controller in a good number of years, but the software sucks, and we all assume that will get fixed over time.
>>
>>51674722
Can I use it without installing Steam? I just want to move my mouse cursor around and don't really care for games.
>>
>>51667939
Why did steam put the right pad above the buttons? Everytime I see it I get irrationally mad because it's shit design, just like the new wii u controller abortion.
>>
>>51675226
dont know, i always have steam on, probably not as of this moment though.
>>
>>51675226
I don't think so.
Why get it for something other than games, aren't there remotes for that?
>>
>>51667939

haha, how does it feel to be a faggot, OP?

do you honestly like your steam controller so much?

i use a god-tier wireless xbox360 gamepad, with wireless USB adapter for PC

then i use a program called XPADDER which lets me use the gamepad as a keyboard and mouse. and i have full control over configuration. it can automatically go from being a mouse to being a regular blank gamepad for xinput games

i like using the thumbsticks as mouse because it feels a lot less retarded
>>
>>51668018
Shit really. Didn't know it had that.
Do you think it could be set up for Dolphin wii?
>>
>>51675291
i used a wired xbox controller, and not to go into why i fucking hate it and its build quality and microsoft telling me to pound sand and not honor the warranty... the steam controller kicks the shit out of it, but the software sucks... i wish xpadder would work with it, but even with that said, its better than an xbox controller in every way shape and form.

some day the software wont suck and it will be hailed as the gold standard for gaming with a controller, but till then, its better than anything else.

>>51675362
anythings possible, but i would say by default probably not.
>>
Is it good?
>>
>>51675681
fucking amazing hardware, shit software, better than xbox
>>
>>51668586

https://github.com/ynsta/steamcontroller
>>
>>51672161
How's the elite's sticks compared to the original xbone sticks? The original always felt way too fucking high for me, like my thumbs were on stilts. Also I don't see it in your pic, but Wii U pro is the best controller this gen, after owning both a pro controller, xbone controller, and having extensive time with a PS4 controller, it's without a doubt the best of those three. The only thing it's missing are pressure sensitive triggers, but I don't play driving games so it doesn't bother me.

I have a feeling Wii U pro for adventure/platforming, and Steam controller for single player FPS and point and click might be the best combination.
>>
>>51677981
>The initial target is GNU/Linux
>>
>>51678052
Wii U has great battery life, and I am thinking of getting it.

As for the elite's sticks, well they feel smoother than the original xbone sticks. You can choose to swap to the real tall sticks, and I think that real stubby sticks is coming to be made available for it.
>>
>>51668018
>works fantastically for anything non competitive
so like single player games?

whats the point in using steam controller over xbox 360 controller anyway?
>>
>>51678298
Maybe it's better for some people? Like a preference thing?

Ever heard of such things?
>>
>>51678310
like maybe i was asking what it does better. like a list of features it has that a 360 controller doesnt

like a comparison. so angry on a guro board
>>
>>51678298
more precise aim than a regular 360, has extra inputs on the back of the 360 so you don't have to take your thumb off aim as often, can do more things than a 360 controller, works with all games the 360 controller is compatible with plus more. personally i'm a kb&m die hard for anything in the first person so i'm not that into the controller. mainly been playing rocket league with it and for browsing youtube in bed. unfortunately the one thing i thought it would really excel in is third person games where aim is somewhat important but you also need joystick for vehicles (ex. jc2) has been plagued with incompatibilities. unfortunately for most of those games you can only use either controller or kb&m and if you use the analog to move while trying to use mouse movement, the analog will cancel the mouse type movement out. shit sucks.
>>
>>51667939
I have one. I hate it. Luckily the protocol is reverse engineered so at least I don't have to wait for Steam to get their act together for non Steam game support.
>>
File: 598005296.gif (664 KB, 253x200) Image search: [Google]
598005296.gif
664 KB, 253x200
>>51678298
What's the point of having a failbox/xbone?
>>
Valve may have made the best controller for emulators; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH3Wz9qPyc0
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.