[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have six months to study programming and reenter the job market
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
I have six months to study programming and reenter the job market as a dev, what area should I study towards? Webdev is the obvious one
>>
try data analytics.

study statistics at your local college or go to one of those boot camps.

start programming in python, learn how to use R
>>
>>51664449
>6 months
How are you going to get the 4 year degree and 2-5 years of experience needed for an entry level job in 6 months?
>>
>>51664645
You just need a portfolio of completed programs and I have 3 years of experience in systems engineering so I can fudge it a bit. Hell some people who take those 10 week ruby boot camps come out making $80k
>>
>>51664449
>Webdev is the obvious one
What? Why? What makes you think that?

Webdev is a hellhole. The web is not fit for the things that customers expect from it. JS, HTML and CSS are an unholy trinity of failure that combine terrible performance, barely any reusability, shitty syntaxes cross vendor incompatibilities and a shitty imperative programming style that does not work well for web applications at all.

Frameworks and libraries can save you from most of those - if you find it acceptable when you page takes 6 seconds to display anything and 9 to display everything correctly.
And in the backend, you'll have to deal with messes like PHP 5.3. The tiny webdev salaries aren't even going to pay for the aspirin you'll need to deal with the headaches this jewish toy language will cause you.

Learn app development or something cool with C++.
>>
>>51664761
Php? Is that you granddad? Bitch pls.
>>
>>51665118
It still powers most websites and is included in even the cheapest hosting offers.

I hate it more than you do, trust me.
>>
>>51664449

Don't listen to those C++ pedants, the language is cool but some tends to shittalk things they can't grasp.

Checkout React, it's awesome
>>
Learn blueprint for big moneys
>>
>>51664761
>The tiny webdev salaries aren't even going to pay for the aspirin

50K a year affords me a half ounce of chronic a week, plus all the asprin i require for shitty days at work, and all my amenities like power water and 100mbps cable internet

>my office gives me 4 weeks PTO a year
>tfw going to poland next year to visit warsaw and shit
>plus health / aflack / 401k
>can work from home when sick

sorry you suck at php
>>
>>51665140
Indeed, but big ones tend to leave the boat while they can, look at Facebook or Wordpress, two bastion of PHP that get rid of it slowly but surely
>>
Html css js with frameworks and buzzwords (and you may _need_ to pick php ruby python etc at any time if you aren't lucky enough, and more on backend later) OR java (or ms stack if you don't mind even more corporate bs with some long term benefits) OR obj-c/swift (iOS dev, android is pain and nomoney, used apple tech is not that expensive)
Backend is pain in the ass and barely doable in that (or any) timeframe especially without previous linux experience especially for a beginner, really just try to avoid that.
If you have social skills and not living in a hellhole pick whatever is hot right now to make bux, otherwise I dunno really, in any case you'll need massive discipline to learn on your own, or try to enter some bootcamp or whatever (we don't have that here so I have no clue about that).
>>
>>51665256
Yeah. It makes me really happy to see it go.

Of course the technology that powers like 80% of all websites (mostly via CMSs, not original code) is not going to vanish overnight.
What's important is that its market share IS sinking. Better languages are on the rise.
What an amazing time to be alive.

I don't really know wich better technology I'm supposed to be rooting for, though. I'm guessing C# with ASP.net 5, now that it's officially cross platform.
But I fear that it's going to be node. Still a major step up from PHP, but...
ugh.
>>
>>51665118
php is not going anywhere and is still the best choice when it comes to webdev.
>>
What other fields besides webdev can be entered after 6months of learning? I'm interested in big data mining but that seems a bit further out
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.