[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /g/uys! I'm a girl that lurks /g/ and I want to switch
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
File: me.jpg (24 KB, 320x222) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
24 KB, 320x222
Hey /g/uys!
I'm a girl that lurks /g/ and I want to switch from windows to gentoo linux.
How do I install it?
>>
>>51660691
who is this semen demon?
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 480x480
>>
>>51660702
Me. Now answer my question.
>>
>>51660691
Follow the instructions in the install guide.
>>
>>51660718
>Me.

ch'yeah rite.
>>
Hey /g/uy!
I'm a drug abusing alcoholic that lurks /g/ and I want you to read this https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
All of it.
>>
Buy a Chromebook

it comes with gentoo installed in the form of "ChromeOS" which im sure will fit your needs just fine

>>51660702
what a lactic harlot
>>
>>51660691
>>51660691
Who is this sperm sucker?
>>
>>51660691
gentoo is a meme linux distribution.
Nobody actually uses it.
>>
                                                                                install gentoo
>>
>>51660691
If I can pontificate for your addification, one of the rules of the internet is "there are no girls in the internet". This rule does not mean what you think it means.
In real life, people like you for being a girl. They want to fuck you, so the pay attention to you and they pretend what you have to say is interesting, or that you are actually smart or clever. However on the internet, we don't have the chance to fuck you. This means the advantage of being a girl does not exist. You do not get a bonus to conversation just because I'd like to put my cock in you.
When you make a post implying "Hurr durr, I'm a girl", you are begging for attention. The only reason to post it is because you want your girl-advantage back, because you are too vapid or stupid to say anything interesting but this. You are forgetting the rule. There are no girls in the internet.
One exception to this rule, the one way you can gain your girlness back on the internet is to post your breasts. This is, and should be degrading for you and admission that the only interesting aspect about you is your naked body.
TL:DR: Tits or get the fuck out.
>>
>>51660746
basically this
Installing Gentoo isn't hard unless you make it hard for yourself on purpose.
This can be accomplished in many ways:
1. Install Gentoo on a laptop
2. Install Gentoo in a virtual machine on a laptop
3. Install Gentoo in a virtual machine on a laptop, while trying to get the VLAN bridged to your WiFi card so that you can actually use the Internet from Gentoo.
>>
>>51661915
>addification

Edification. Step up your copypasta game.
>>
>>51661957
Getting that virtual machine to boot on bare metal is also an exercise in fun.
So far I haven't heard of Gentoo using any secureboot shim though.
>>
>>51661992
do you run gentoo?
>>
>>51660691
Now, as a Linux user I urge you to try out Linux first by using a LiveCD/LiveDVD version (they used to boot off CDs, but now you can put one on a usb and boot off it to a fully usable desktop with nothing written to your HDD).
As a gentoo user I urge you to try a different distro first. Gentoo has its uses, but one would use it pretty much only when one would require a very specific configuration that would be a pain in the ass to pull on a non-source distro.

If you're still set on installing Gentoo, then the step-by-step instructions are in the gentoo handbook: https://gentoo.org/get-started/
Note: while the handbook is comprehensive it's still fairly easy to fuck something up due to a typo. Especially when partitioning/formatting hard drives, so caution is advised.
>>
>>51660691
who is this sausage hostage?
>>
>>51662183
I tried to install Gentoo on Hyper-V on my laptop
needless to say it was impossible because Gentoo wouldn't recognize my VLAN bridged with my Wi-Fi card.

Nowadays I installed Fedora to a Hyper-V VM, which boots on bare metal using GRUB and the secureboot shim.
>>
File: G_OS_Guide.jpg (375 KB, 3000x2116) Image search: [Google]
G_OS_Guide.jpg
375 KB, 3000x2116
>>
File: ctfu.png (12 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
ctfu.png
12 KB, 120x120
>>51662583
>what do you want to know so much about me
>>
Tits or kill yourself
>>
>>51662583
This is still flawed.
>recommending a newcomer any OS that is not Arch
How the fuck are niggas gonna learn with the Ubuntu "I don't need a terminal to use my Linux" way of life?
>>
>>51660718
Will you marry me?
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              slut. 
>>
>>51662654
Well, not everyone can use the Light Side.
>Is the GUI stronger?
>No, no, no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
>>
>>51662654
I have said this before but I think it's good to make people install easy distros first. It's a lot faster to use Arch when you already know what you want, since you have seen the end result before. If you start with Arch you might not get what you could be missing. It's not true in everyone's case but I still think it's a good way. You don't want to scare people away from Linux since it was so much harder than they assumed.

>inb4 lol arch hard, no it's not
>>
>>51662978
>inb4 lol arch hard
Tbh Im kind of a Linux newbie and I started with Arch.
And it is hard. Very hard, if you come from 1 Month of Ubuntu after using Windows for 10 years.
I still don't understand a lot of stuff, but thanks to the MASSIVE Arch wiki and no DE I'm learning stuff at a much faster rate than any Ubuntu newbie using Unity possibly could.

So you are right, while Arch could scare away a few people because its hard this is still the best way to learn imo.
>>
>>51663057
-Used mint back in 2008, didn't like it
>Window 8/8.1 disappoints me
>Windows 10 starts treating me like a child
>Go back to mint
>Next week I'm using manjaro
>Get introduced to /g/ (/sci/ was my home)
>Fall for /g/ memes
>Couple weeks later start using arch
>Try parabola, didn't impress me
>Come back to Arch, not planning to use any other very soon
feels good
>>
kek
>>
>>51660746
Wow me too
>>
File: tits_or_gtfo.jpg (36 KB, 600x395) Image search: [Google]
tits_or_gtfo.jpg
36 KB, 600x395
>>51660691
>>
>>51662663
I don't know about OP, but I will.
>>
>>51660718
why do you have that gay tattoo on your arm?
>>
>>51660718
Inviting me to your home
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.