[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Domains: Where should I get mine? How can I make sure I own
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Domains:

Where should I get mine? How can I make sure I own the domain and not them?

General tips for people looking to register domains, and any suggestions as to where the best place is to get it.
>>
>>51655806
Cheapest and easiest place to get one turned out to be the company that has this old, bald dude with stink lines for a logo (godaddy)

Of course the first thing to do next is to reassign DNS control to your free account on freedns.afraid.org: dyndns, unlimited subdomains, generally the kind of features you'd expect from a respectable service that doesn't aim to rip people off. Nice, clean, minimalist yet functional website is a nice plus too. It's one of those gems I'd expect to see /g/ shilling all the time really

Finally, a raspi running ARM arch with an ssh daemon running autostart as your host machine. Add lighttpd and whatever else you need on that, then tuck it away somewhere with nothing but a power cable and ethernet plugged into it. Control via ssh exclusively, get rid of xorg and all that shit.
>>
>>51655903
>reassign DNS control
how does this work?

>>51655903
>raspi running ARM arch with an ssh daemon running autostart as your host machine. Add lighttpd and whatever else you need on that, then tuck it away somewhere with nothing but a power cable and ethernet plugged into it. Control via ssh exclusively, get rid of xorg and all that shit.
is there a step by step instruction video (from start to finish) of this for people who have never done any ssh stuff? and don;t know what lighttpd is? a retard proof tutorial perhaps?

Thanks for the info anon.
>>
>>51655963
>how does this work?
It's some configuration/ownership clusterfuck the industry cooked up just for the purpose of making shit difficult and to be able to milk people for more money by pretending to be offering more shit.
Godaddy owns the domain name, you pay godaddy to have private control of it, you employ afraid.org's free service to handle the DNS of your domain through godaddy's servers as opposed to using godaddy's probably sucky DNS features (and their shoddy website that, as /g/ likes to correctly meme about, overuses js, is slow as fuck, etc)

>retard-proof guide
No. That entire paragraph is linux basics (ssh daemon, autostart in arch) and random trivia (knowing lighttpd and other server software)
>>
>>51656079
>you employ afraid.org's free service to handle the DNS of your domain through godaddy's servers
Technically it's more like you're telling godaddy you've given afraid.org a license to represent you and that they should just leave dns management to afraid.org. Kinda removes godaddy from the loop, all they do now is just own the domain name.
>>
>>51656079
>>51656104
but what if I want to own the domain myself? is that even possible?
>>
>>51656122
That's like being your own lawyer, your own house architect, your own plumber (down to the mains), your own electrician (down to the mains), etc.

I'm gonna just say no.
>>
>>51656137
ok then, how do I prevent from ever losing control of the domain?
>>
>>51656161
how do you even prevent from someone just killing you?

you don't
>>
>>51656161
Pay the bills and pick a "registrar" (as they're called) that won't up and vanish one day like the average startup
>>
>>51655903
>reassing DNS control to freedns.afraid.org with a free account
Did you read their terms? If you do that they can and will give every nignog a subdomain under your domain.
>>
>>51656187
> How can I make sure I own the domain and not them?
whois.icann.org
>>
>>51656205
I know because I used to have everything under one of those free subdmains myself until I got tired of depending on the superdomain.

>http://freedns.afraid.org/domain/registry/
>Showing 1-100 of 88,363 total
Yeah, my domain, with its gibberish-looking name (to outsiders) and TLD of a stupidass country nobody gives a fuck about is gonna get picked from that list all the time...
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.