[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any of you guys got the 1080 IPS Toshiba Chromebook 2? Was gonna
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Chromebook2.jpg (43 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Chromebook2.jpg
43 KB, 640x360
Any of you guys got the 1080 IPS Toshiba Chromebook 2? Was gonna buy it this weekend - it seemed like a solid deal, plus I like ChromeOS.
>>
>>51649106
No, I don't have a piece of hardware that does nothing except run the worst mainstream web browser.
>>
>>51649131
Enjoy your bloated firefuck shitware.
>>
can't you install gentoo onto it? Good alternative if you don't mind looking poor/can't afford a mac
>>
>>51649236
it's already on there.
>>
File: 1433286144475.jpg (43 KB, 640x623) Image search: [Google]
1433286144475.jpg
43 KB, 640x623
I got one. I have Arch running in a chroot. It's pretty nice, super light and great battery as you probs know. If you use crouton/chroagh, you have to have the extension for X, which kinda sucks, but it runs really smooth. If you get one and feel like you don't have enough memory, you can just get an SD card and leave it in there. 8/10
>>
>>51649106
>>51652112
How do you fix the trackpad in Linux? It's not working when running crouton
>>
>>51649106
i have one and run arch on it. the screen is really nice, battery lasts around 7/8 hours on low brightness, and the overall performance is acceptable for general browsing and terminal stuff. it feels pretty cheap and plasticky but it's £250.
chromeos isn't actually that bad but really you'll want to unlock the bootloader and install something better. don't fall for the crouton meme.
to do this you basically need to remove the bottom cover, remove the heatsync, scrape off a metallic circular sticker and replace it with a bit of electrical tape. you can then remove the software write protect and pretty much just run the john lewis script to enable bios booting from local and usb storage.
xububtu installer shat itself over not being able to read mmcblk0rpmb (this is where os keys are stored, it's not meant to be readable as such) but arch installed fine after dismissing a few errors in fdisk relating to the same thing.
i highly recommended it, anon.

>>51652112
>>51652204
>crouton
>>
I have it, and its pretty great everywhere except the battery is utter shit (3 hr brand new)
I have the upgraded version though, not sure about the one with the inferior cpu (and no fan)
also, if you're gonna dechrome it, the seabios screen glitches with grub, so it looks like shit when starting up
also, I dechromed it and even though everthing I run is lightweight as hell, the battery still drains as fast as immigrants ruin a country
>>
>>51652204
i just installed xf86-input-synaptics
>>
>>51653250
so, do you use some de, or just a wm?
because if a wm, did you map the brightness keys to change the brightness with xrandr?
reason is, I just wanna know if xrandr actually decreases brightness, or it simulates it
because if the latter, then there would be no point to dicreasing brightness other than to make it easy on the eyes (same battery consumption)
>>
>>51653541
there's an aur package named xkeyboard-config-chromebook. install that and your keys all "just werk". the brightness keys do adjust the backlight too, it's not a shitty workaround.
>>
>>51653653
Does that work with buntu too?
>>
>>51653883
did you enable the universe stuff in sources.list and run an apt-cache search for it? i generally like to avoid *buntu as a rule.
>>
>buy a so-so device with a an OS suited for the hardware
>make it absolute shit by installing an unsupported OS (Linux) and disabling half the hardware

/g/ in a nutshell
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.