[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Python 3 was a mistake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2
File: python-2-vs-python-31-780x350.jpg (36 KB, 780x350) Image search: [Google]
python-2-vs-python-31-780x350.jpg
36 KB, 780x350
Python 3 was a mistake
>>
>>51646763
only reason python 2 is still around is because there are libraries that are python 2 only. once python 3 is fully compatible with python 2, support will be dropped completely and it will be a thing of the past like python 1.
>>
>>51646763
>once python 3 is fully compatible with python 2
Never? They fucked it up, they should have made it at least library compatible.
>>
>>51646855
https://python3wos.appspot.com/
it's almost there
>>
>>51646763

I was forced to use python 2.7 because of the libraries. Whats the big deal with python 3 ?
>>
>>51646876
That it doesn't have all the libraries.

Just wish it had ansible, Fabric, and uWSGI
>>
>>51646876
nothing. python 3 has features that python 2 will never have. the only downside is it broke backwards compatibility, but most of the python 2 libraries have been ported over already.
>>
I use python 2 everyday at work. I also contribute to open source python 2 libraries and do my best to keep them incompatible with python 3.
>>
>>51646870
It's not python3 getting compatible with python2. It's packages being ported to python3.

Also:
>173/200
There are many more python packages, these are the 200 most popular though. Many python2 packages are abandoned and will never be ported to python3. I'm not saying this as a bad thing just stating some facts.
>>
>>51646907
>>51646908
support for python 2 is going to be dropped in 2020, at one point or another packages will be forced to be either forgotten, rewritten, or forked. like it or not, python 3 will take over at one point.
>>
>>51646922
>python 3 will take over at one point.
Man, I wish.
>>
I've switched to Ruby for my scripting because of the entire Python 2/3 travesty. Also,
>Perl 6
>nobody learns in this industry
>>
>>51646933
It will, considering the fact python 2 is on life support.
>>
>>51646948
just like COBOL died, right?
>>
>>51646957
Nobody is going to use python 2 in a matter of years, like how nobody uses python 1. Python 3 has features that will never be in python 2.
>>
Rememeber kids, always keep your major versions compatible with at least one previoius version.
Failing to do so will end you up having to maintain 2 essentially different forks for both versions.

See: Python, GNOME, GTK and FLTK
>>
>>51646963
Python 2 is Touring complete and therefore can emulate all the "exclusive" features of Python 3.
>>
>>51646992
then why is it on end of life?
>>
>>51646973
How do you make backwards incompatible changes then?
>>
>>51647004
Major companies whose infrastructure depends on the language will form a committee to extend the life of Python 2 beyond 2020.
>>
>>51647004
Because Guido thought Python wasn't good enough. Print needed to be a function. Some library APIs needed to be rewritten.

Protip: nobody gave a shit. Python just worked. Now Python 3 has been shat out and nobody uses it because the entire ecosystem is fucked. Guido is a fool and it's no wonder he's been fired from Google after his dick-up.

>>51647015
You don't, because there is very rarely a realistic need for it.
>>
https://www.djangoproject.com/conduct

what we really need is a WoS with codes of conduct

i dont want men touching me

i am not a gamer girl. i am a programmer and already have a boyfriend

so fucking no fuck off if you want anything

im looking for work
>>
>>51647066
a-are you cute? can I hold your *gasp* h-hand?
>>
Python 4 when?
>>
>>51646992
No it can't, because unlike Lisp, Python cannot programmatically manipulate its parser.
>>
>>51647066
why does everything have to be about sex with you people
>>
>>51647037
>You don't, because there is very rarely a realistic need for it.
That's how you end up with shit like PHP or Windows not-DOS.
>>
>>51647066
Fuck off
>>
>>51646763
You were a mistake. Your mother might say you're special, but when she's alone she drinks to numb the pain from the lies she tells.
>>
>>51647066
>already have a boyfriend
>fuck off if you want anything
nobody asked, you cunt
>>
File: 1446940704540.jpg (120 KB, 500x616) Image search: [Google]
1446940704540.jpg
120 KB, 500x616
http://python-notes.curiousefficiency.org/en/latest/python3/questions_and_answers.html

>Python 3 changes the core text model to be one that is more appropriate for application code rather than boundary code. These changes are a key source of friction when it comes to Python 3 between the Python core developers and other experts that have fully mastered the Python 2 text model, especially those that focus on targeting POSIX platforms rather than Windows or the JVM, as well as those that focus on writing boundary code, such as networking libraries, web frameworks and file format parsers and generators. These developers bear a lot of the burden of adjusting to these changes on behalf of their users, while gaining few or none of the benefits.
>These developers bear a lot of the burden of adjusting to these changes on behalf of their users, while gaining few or none of the benefits.
>>
>>51647180
>other experts that have fully mastered the Python 2 text model
>having to master using a text string class
topkek, I'll bet there are experts out there that have fully mastered Java's ArrayList model too.
>>
It's better in very many ways.

I love languages that have the courage to break backwards compatibility for features that turned out to be unsatisfactory.

If only PHP did this.
>>
>>51647322
>didn't read the article
>>
>>51647322
>what are character encodings
I tell you: a pain.
>>
>>51647415
>what are character encodings
Easy as fuck once you pass CS 101.

>bytes + encodings = text

Done and done.
>>
Go is superior in every way
>>
>>51646992
Brainfuck is also Turing complete so why not just use that?
>>
python needs gradual typing.
>>
Swift is better anyway
>>
>>51647841
>implying
>>
>>51647864
not just that (although that's true). Python 2 had real issues with strings, and many of the breaks developers encounter stem from python suddenly being a lot more deliberate and explicit about strings than it used to be.

It's because people were playing too fast and loose with py2.x that it's painful to bring things up to py3k now. That sucks, but it's necessary.

The pain people seem to be experiencing moving from 2 to 3 sounds like complaining about a doctor giving you painful tetanus shot after you played with broken glass. Yeah, shots suck, but it's not that big a deal, and trust me when I say that tetanus would be worse.
>>
anyone who has had to work with unicode and other encodings in python2 would disagree
>>
>>51647066
And people wonder why there are so few female programmers. Not the males, but the females scare them off.
Especially the feminazi ones.
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with Python 3, everything about it is an improvement
>>
>>51646992
This is one of the most retarded things I've ever read on this board
>>
Python 3 is better anyway.
>>
Python 3 does have some pretty good fundamental changes. For one thing a lot of functions that used to return lists are now iterators

Take range() for example. In Python 2 it would return a list of numbers in the range you requested, meaning it had to allocate memory for every single number even if all you wanted to do was use them as an index value in a for loop. In Python 3, range() returns an iterator that yields one number at a time, meaning it doesn't have to explicitly store all of them.

map, filter, and other such functions got the same treatment, meaning not only do they require less memory, but they can be used more easily with any iterable class
>>
Wait a sec, Python is shit, all versions
>>
>>51646763
The architecture of CPython was a mistake. It's just poor craftsmanship.

They should have looked more How They Do It: Interpreters or went the inferred static compiled language road all along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMJk4y9NGvE
>>
>>51646815
>>51646897
>>51646922
stfu
>>
>>51647066

I don't understand the correlation between being nice and friend zone. Besides if it WAS his goal to break the Friend Zone, I dare say this little stunt put a few cracks in it.

How do we even know this was to 'get out of the friend zone' I know some people have this false notion that people are incapable of doing anything nice without wanting sex as a reward...

But maybe this dude just wanted attention?

So why is not being an asshole frowned upon? Why is being as mean and hateful as you possibly can considered ok here? I don't understand.

Why are there so many soulless monsters here all of the sudden? Horrible evil piles of hate.

You can pretend your putrid hate is justified but you know its not. You know you are sub-human abominations to people who are capable of compassion.

So why is not being an asshole frowned upon? Also if we are to believe the comment is telling the truth why is it down voted?

Would "HEY BITCH FUCKING SUCK MY COCK RIGHT NOW WHORE SLUT!" Have been more acceptable?

Soulless monsters devoid of emotion might hate this but all the humans here think this is nice.

You can't help it but some people are simply sex crazed maniacs who have this delusion that every single action must be to obtain sex. I suppose a more 'acceptable' thing would be "LET ME FUCK YOU HARD YEAH I'LL SEX YOU UP ALL NIGHT!"

I know these monsters might down vote this but the opinions 'people' devoid of emotions other then hate don't matter.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.