[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Earlier this year, we announced that Google Chrome would
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
>Earlier this year, we announced that Google Chrome would continue support for Windows XP through the remainder of 2015. At that time, we strongly encouraged users on older, unsupported platforms such as Windows XP to update to a supported, secure operating system. Such older platforms are missing critical security updates and have a greater potential to be infected by viruses and malware.

>Today, we’re announcing the end of Chrome’s support for Windows XP, as well as Windows Vista, and Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, and 10.8, since these platforms are no longer actively supported by Microsoft and Apple. Starting April 2016, Chrome will continue to function on these platforms but will no longer receive updates and security fixes.

>If you are still on one of these unsupported platforms, we encourage you to move to a newer operating system to ensure that you continue to receive the latest Chrome versions and features.

>Posted by Marc Pawliger, Director of Engineering and Early Notifier

Fucking assholes. What the fuck does the Chrome team think they're doing?
>>
the right thing, supporting deprecated OSes is such a waste of resources.
>>
File: sex p.png (41 KB, 866x523) Image search: [Google]
sex p.png
41 KB, 866x523
>>51643518
But XP still works, perfectly even.
>>
>>51643551
> Microsoft discontinued support in 2012
> can't handle newer computers
> can't handle latest gaems
> shit-tier security

It's time to let go, amigo. Get win7 or go Linux.

Win8+ is all spyware, avoid it like the plague.
>>
I understand XP, but why would they end support for Vista too? That still has a few years of security updates left too.
>>
>>51643645
Because vista has an insanely tiny market share
>>
>>51643639
>can't handle latest gaems
that's my hardware's fault. You can't run shit with an old budget core duo processor and its' internal graphics.

I actually installed Windows 7 as soon as it came out, and had a very pleasant experience, but I was forced to go back to xp, since my GPU went kaboop.
>>
>>51643645
because Microsoft likes money, mainly
revenue comes from consumers and (mostly) businesses buying licenses, costs come from security support. They want to boot everyone off the old versions so that they don't have to pay programmers to patch them.
Plus then once everyone is on 10 they can start charging a subscription fee for it, like Adobe did with photoshop.
>>
>>51643693
Linux is always an option, only thing that is retaining me is audio production honestly.
Oh, and amd drivers, shit fucking sucks
>>
>>51643697
That might be true, but this is about Google dropping Vista support for Chrome, not Microsoft.
>>
>>51643873
the principle is the same. It costs them programmer time (and therefore money) to support more platforms, so they'll naturally try to not support older ones
>>
>>51643551
Install Gentoo
>>
>>51643693
If you're not playing games on your computer or using something like Solidworks, Photoshop, or AutoCAD products on a regular basis then you have absolutely no excuse to be on anything but Linux.

ANYTHING (within reason) is better than XP. Seriously. You are opening yourself up to so many SERIOUS security vulnerabilities by using that.
>>
>>51643551
see catalog
>>
>>51644100
autodesk dropped support for xp (and vista) some years ago
question is will they deprecate 7and 8* for 10
>>
>muh best tech generation

What the fuck are you complaining about? XP is so horrendously outdated its not even funny anymore, its the same argument as people who want new titles released on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Its old, its outdated, just because it still works doesnt mean it should continue to be used. I had a MicronPC desktop that "still works" running windows 95 that allows me to shitpost on /g/ still, but thats fucking retarded for me to use when there is much newer, much nicer technology out there.

After XP came 4 more operating systems, its old as fuck. Its the equivalent of still using 95 when vista came out.
>>
>>51643518
stfu
>>
>>51643475
>April 2016
>Vista
>no longer actively supported by Microsoft

NIGGA WAT
>>
>>51644533
>>51644533

Windows Vista

Service Pack 2

mainstream support
April 10, 2012

extended support
April 11, 2017

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.