[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LAN file sharing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /g/ - Technology

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5
File: 1448826828821.jpg (874 KB, 1050x1400) Image search: [Google]
1448826828821.jpg
874 KB, 1050x1400
Anybody knows a good program for sharing files across LAN ?
I mean only files nothing else needed, shit like transcoding or local websites or anything. Autostart option would be nice.

Windows 10 file sharing will not work if you have a PC with a microsoft account and a pc with a local account and try to share files between those two, the one with MS account can not access the one with local account.

Tried a bunch of solutions for the issue but nothing works.

pic obviously unrelated.

So a program for basic file sharing would be nice.
>>
>>51635364
>pic obviously unrelated
Then why post it?
Don't start threads with semen demons if you want actual answers.
>>
>>51635364
>Windows 10 file sharing will not work if you have a PC with a microsoft account and a pc with a local account and try to share files between those two, the one with MS account can not access the one with local account.
what ?
you can't even use basic network functionality with windows 10 anymore ?
>>
File: 1448194457241.jpg (26 KB, 353x334) Image search: [Google]
1448194457241.jpg
26 KB, 353x334
>>51635364
>Anybody knows a good program for sharing files across LAN ?

Maybe try an operating system like Windows or GNU/Linux?
>>
>>51635406
In this specific scenario ? No.
If you have two or more PCs in a network with win 8, win 8.1 or win 10 and some of them have microsoft accounts the others use local, you won't be able to access the ones that use local account from microsoft account PCs, while the other way works perfectly.

>>51635435
You for real ? I literally said both PCs use Win 10.

I found some, but was wondering if anybody used any before, what's the best and your experience with it ?

>>51635382
literally the only picture in the folder i was already in.
>>
>>51635364
Make one of them an FTP server and the other an FTP client.
Block everything that isn't from the specific matching LAN IP (your network should be configured to use IPs reserved for private networking only; they should not resolve to publicly accessible IPs).

If you need to ask anything else, you don't deserve to know.
>>
Just set up an ftp server / client
filezilla is a good start
>>
>>51635406
I've been able to get it to work on occasion but its a total crap shoot. Slime times it works, sometimes it doesn't.
>>
You could try dc++
>>
I use a SSH server. Works every time.
>>
>>51635364

I use Beyond Compare locally, it might work if you map the drive? I like it because you can pick up where you left off if the transfer doesn't complete
>>
>>51635364
I wish there was something like file transfer protocol for file sharing or transferring. Oh wait....
>>
>>51635556
>>51635890
I was hoping to avoid making a server on the other computer, rather something p2p.

>>51636013
>>51635807
thanks will check it out
>>
>Right click on containing folder
>Properties
>Sharing
>>
>>51635364
VirtualBox+bridged adapter+shared folders+samba. You're welcome.
>>
Install apache and put the files in the www folder. Done.
>>
>>51636087

yeah I just checked and it will support that, you will need to have read/write permission, the lazy way is to share the folder and give everyone read/write during the transfer
>>
Yes you can op you fucking retard. Its hostname\user. If you are using a Microshit account, your username is the name in C:\Users
>>
> Black, yellow, white
> not black, white, red

Anyway, who is this knob gobbler?
>>
>>51635364

FUCKING FAGGOT
>>
>>51636271
It's a flag of a Russian Empire, not German.

>>51636218
Yes this seems to be the most sane choice desu
>>
>>51636416
It’s hard to tell when the two headed eagle is covered up

Or is it a post czar
>>
>>51636523
How can you have an empire without an emperor ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Russian_flags
1858-1883
>>
>>51636087
>I was hoping to avoid making a server on the other computer, rather something p2p.

No you fuck stick. There isn't anything that will let you share your CP between the two fucked computers you're trying to use. Either do it right or don't do it. File sharing isn't new. How about you break the Windows accounts off the computers with them since they're pointless anyway. Then share all you want.
>>
>>51635364
>windows 10 file sharing will not work
add the following registry key on the machine you're sharing from and reboot. on the other machine, map a drive to the first machine using a user account which exists on the first machine
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System] "LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy"=dword:00000001 
>>
Nigga I can literally drag and drop any file to any computer on my network regardless of size on Windows 7/8.1/10, I use all three. You have to enable sharing on the computers if you want to transfer files between them though, and set up the permissions you'd like to have for the designated folder or hard drive.
>>
File: cap.png (41 KB, 352x529) Image search: [Google]
cap.png
41 KB, 352x529
Use Dukto senpai, It's cross platform QT based file sharing, it even works on Symbian phones.
>>
>>51635488
>If you have two or more PCs in a network with win 8, win 8.1 or win 10 and some of them have microsoft accounts the others use local, you won't be able to access the ones that use local account from microsoft account PCs, while the other way works perfectly.

Wrong.

I have a Win8.1 laptop with a MS account signed in and I can access my Win 7 network shares with no problem.
>>
>>51635364

netcat
>>
>>51637781
upgrade win 7 to win 8 and it will not work.
It's not a problem with local accounts, but the implemention of microsoft accounts is shit, which win 7 does not have.
It's not wrong, google it, a lot of people have this same issue
>>51637586
ITT, people who can't read.
I describe a specific situation in which you can't and other people are reporting it as well.
Try it any you'll see.

>>51637671
that seems nice.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/8063-build-10166-shares-still-problem-non-ms-accounts.html
http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/11664-microsoft-account-broken-rdp-file-sharing.html
there's a bunch of reports on insiderhub as well since the fucking beta started and it has not been fixed.
It's literally only affecting 8,8.1 and 10
While the other computer which has a local account, was on win 7, everything worked well.
>>
File: 1448921147997.jpg (175 KB, 900x1350) Image search: [Google]
1448921147997.jpg
175 KB, 900x1350
>>51635364
>>
>>51635364
sshfs
>>
>>51638103
actually, I have 2.. hold on
>>
>>51638103
>upgrade win 7 to win 8 and it will not work.
>It's not a problem with local accounts, but the implemention of microsoft accounts is shit, which win 7 does not have.
>It's not wrong, google it, a lot of people have this same issue

Tried. Shared a folder on Win8.1 x64 pro edition(local account). Tried to access with WIn 8.1 x64 home edition(MS account). It required a password, which I was not expecting. Once I entered the password of the computer that I was sharing on I could access the files no problem.

So where is the issue?
>>
>>51639254
because the local account doesn't have a password set.

I linked you, there are other people complaining this isn't just my issue, go to file sharing tab of insider hub and you'll see.

Problem ? Poor implementation of microsoft account in win 8/10

here there is a decent explaination of the problem in the first answer.

https://superuser.com/questions/827986/how-to-share-any-folder-without-password-in-windows-8-10-in-a-home-network-if-a

>On Window 8.1, and presumably Windows 8, when using a Microsoft account to login to Windows, the default user-name when you make a network connection is MicrosoftAccount\<live_id_username>, instead of the login <computer_name>\<username> as in previous versions of Windows.

This MicrosoftAccount form is likely to cause a login failure on any server that is not using a Microsoft account, due to the schizophrenic way that Microsoft/Local accounts are implemented in Windows 8/8.1.

I have not been able to find a way of forcing Windows 8/8.1 to use the old format of computer-name\user-name
>>
>>51638103
>http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/8063-build-10166-shares-still-problem-non-ms-accounts.html

This points to specifically having a PIN setup for your MS account. I do not have this and your post mentions nothing of it. This seems completely unrelated.

>>51639332
Local account does have a password set. I do have it set to auto login to windows on boot though.
>>
>>51639358
Mine doesnt, and there is no pin, either way read stackoverflow explanation and question, thats what happens
>>
>>51639458
Meant superuser from the previous post obviously, its late
>>
>>51639332
>because the local account doesn't have a password set.

I disabled auto login, rebooted both. Can still access the share.

Strange thing though, the username doesn't need to be correct. I typed in gibberish and the correct password and it still worked.
>>
>>51639332
>https://superuser.com/questions/827986/how-to-share-any-folder-without-password-in-windows-8-10-in-a-home-network-if-a

>Specifically, if the machine with the Microsoft account tries to access the machine with the local account, it will prompt for a username and password, and access will fail unless username and password of an actual user on the target machine are provided

And, this is exactly what is happening. You don't provide the right password, you don't get in. How to share without a password is another story. Let me tinker.
>>
>>51635364
>DARK ROOTS

NICE TRY, ONLY NATURAL BLONDES ALLOWED

INTO THE OVEN
>>
>>51639332
Findings so far

when logging in, I do not need a correct username or password. I can type a\a for each and it works. When authenticating it authenticates as Guest on the server PC.

I thought this might be something where it was not passing a blank password(Guest is blank by default). Changed to 1234. Still fails automatically. If I type a\a it works. If I do Computername\Guest and the wrong password, it fails. If I do computername\guest and the correct password, it works.

so it seems that when logging in to a network share from a MS account it ignores the option for "Turn off password protected sharing", or is not passing the guest account correctly.
>>
>>51635364
homegroup
>>
>windows
>cant share on LAN

Toy OS
>>
>>51640747
further findings

when running wireshark the session response packet shows the session flags as 0x0000(Guest=False) when it attempts to authenticate with the Microsoft Account. When I use ANYTHING else(could be complete gibberish), it passes a session flag of 0x0001(Guest=True) and then authenticates as guest, regardless of the username\password I enter.

I don't know if this flag is the cause, but to me it seems like it. I can't figure out how to change this. Assuming it is in the SMB protocol and not NTLM but fuck if I know.

I'm assuming this flag is controlled in by the key "forceguest" but I don't know and can't find anything on it. This setting has no effect on this at all when using a MS Account.

I don't know how W7 authenticates, I'll have to test that another time. Too drunk\tired to keep going.
>>
File: 1448861637086.png (283 KB, 513x514) Image search: [Google]
1448861637086.png
283 KB, 513x514
Use samba for GNU/Linux or homegroup for windows, its good because they both work together
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.